Halo 4: Utility weapons

UCG Zombie

Doesn't it suck when there are weapons in a game that are just filler weapons? Or when you have like 2 or 3 of the same gun, just different skins? For example, the plasma rifle, plasma repeater, and assault rifle in Halo Reach all pretty much do the same thing. They differ very little in damage or use or range. Or perhaps the needle rifle and DMR, both single shot weapons that work exactly the same.

That needs to end there.

What we need in Halo 4 is several utility weapons that ALL have a main utility use. I'm gonna use this weapon for this, and that weapon for these kind of situations. Let me use an example. Let's say you're on a huge map and targets are far away often. It would be more appropriate to use a weapon similar to the DMR, yes? But what about when playing more medium ranged maps. Perhaps using a battle rifle styled weapon would be more appropriate. Less range, but easier to use in mid range encounters.

Both are utility weapons that wouldn't go unnoticed. Both work completely different from each other. And both could function differently. Perhaps the DMR weapon could have more kick to it, but more power. The battle rifle weapon might be more accurate the closer you are, but the farther away the less useful it gets. Perhaps they could be a single weapon with two firing modes.

I think that basically, halo 4 needs to have several, VARIED utility weapons that will be able to diversify gameplay, but at the same time reduce redundancy. We don't need to copies of the same weapons, we need weapons that have different functions or different gameplay effects, such as recoil, weapon power, semi-auto, etc.

take a CoD mindset when thinking about this. When I thought about this, I was thinking about how call of duty has varying forms of utility weapons that all perform differently. Halo could benefit from this.

Discuss your opinions on how we can improve weapon diversity as well as functionality.

take a CoD mindset when thinking about this. When I thought about this, I was thinking about how call of duty has varying forms of utility weapons that all perform differently. Halo could benefit from this.

I completely agree, imagine if in Modern Warfare 2 the M4A1, FAMAS, M16, ACR, TAR-21, SCAR, FN2000, and the AK47 had been even remotely similar!

Anyway, to pull this to pieces, the Plasma Rifle works very differently fro the Plasma Repeater and Assault Rifle as it does extra damage to Shields and less damage to Health, as well as slower bullet travel times so that it's devastating at close quarters but weaker at longer distances, although it makes an excellent support weapon.

Anyway, map sizes - that's why you carry two weapons with you. You have a DMR or a Battle Rifle for mid range combat and an Assault Rifle for getting up close. I don't really see how you can complain about the Needle Rifle and the DMR doing the same thing on one hand and then asking for a DMR and Battle Rifle on the other.

If you want raw variety, the DMR is more powerful than the Needle Rifle and has higher recoil, but can scope in further, so what you've suggested is actually already in place. They fill the same role, but how they do it is different.

Anyway, there really have to be at least two weapons which fill roughly the same role for most situations - one for each faction - as otherwise it becomes harder to balance the game and gives less variety in set pieces. Now, that's not to say there can't be weapons here and there which are exclusive to one side or completely unique - there is no functional equivalent for the Plasma Pistol, for example, or the Brute Shot. Most weaponry however needs to have a rough equivalent, and there certainly need to be balanced faction-specific varieties of any general purpose weapons like the DMR or Assault Rifle.

• Like 2

I completely disagree with this idea, first off the weapons you listed do vary completely in use lol. You have very little factual evidence apparently. The plasma rifle takes off the shield really quick but is slow to kill the health, while the plasma repeater is efficient at taking down the shield (not as good as plasma rifle) and it also kills quickly once the shield is gone. The DMR has a different reticule expansion than the needle rifle, not to mension the needle rifle has an a needlerplosion added to it if you can only hit body shots. Also that would defeat the purpose to having two sides to the story, covenant and human. What would be the point if the covenant just ran around with ARs and DMRs in invasion??? I like your thinking but to say the weapons have no point is crossing the line. Not to mention COD and Halo are two different games with different gameplay, and blending the two would be absurd. COD is focused around guns and attachments and leveling up to become stronger, while Halo focuses on everyone having an "even playing field", as to say a high rank wont have any advantage weapons wise (besides knowledge) compared to a noob just starting the game.

I completely disagree with this idea, first off the weapons you listed do vary completely in use lol. You have very little factual evidence apparently. The plasma rifle takes off the shield really quick but is slow to kill the health, while the plasma repeater is efficient at taking down the shield (not as good as plasma rifle) and it also kills quickly once the shield is gone. The DMR has a different reticule expansion than the needle rifle, not to mension the needle rifle has an a needlerplosion added to it if you can only hit body shots. Also that would defeat the purpose to having two sides to the story, covenant and human. What would be the point if the covenant just ran around with ARs and DMRs in invasion??? I like your thinking but to say the weapons have no point is crossing the line. Not to mention COD and Halo are two different games with different gameplay, and blending the two would be absurd. COD is focused around guns and attachments and leveling up to become stronger, while Halo focuses on everyone having an "even playing field", as to say a high rank wont have any advantage weapons wise (besides knowledge) compared to a noob just starting the game.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Agreed