Multiplayer Maps (excluding warzone)

Slamminsam

(This is my first complaint about any game that I have made public)

I have been a halo fan ever since the franchise started and I have always loved the game. Ever since I heard about halo 5 I was so excited because it was getting quite a few new changes. Now that I have the game I can say that it is awesome.

BUT

There is one thing that is really annoying and is a massive disappointment. ALL of the multiplayer maps feel like they have they same design and different textures. This leads me to believe that the game makers were lazy and were rushed to get the game out in time. None of the maps feel unique and so no matter what map i play on I feel like I am playing the same map over and over. Get your **** together 343i even though everything else about the game is good. You have made it so obvious that you haven't bothered to make maps that are unique and HAVE GOOD SPAWNS!! I would love to see you bring back fan-favourite maps.

Not only this but the lack of arena game modes. Where is BIG TEAM BATTLE??? Not much variety there. And even though is a minor problem I felt like the campaign was short despite it being the longest campaign along with halo 2.

Other than this everything else is awesome. The storyline of the campaign was really good and warzone is by far the best feature as it is what keeps me playing this game.

Just because you feel like the maps are not unique, doesn't mean they are not unique and interesting in their own way for others. I myself love the maps Empire, Regret and Plaza. Those maps are easily better than a majority of every Halo map created. They may be not at the standard set by greats such as Lockout, The Pit, Battle Creek and Midship, but they are certainly viewed highly by myself. Others love the recreation of midship; Truth, it flows perfectly and works wonders with CTF.

However, your point about the spawns is absolutely spot on. 343i's pro team clearly did not play test the maps correctly as the spawn system is broken at such a fundamental level. The problem is at its worse in SWAT, I had one incident where I died 6 times within 15 seconds. 2 seconds per life to react proves such a failure of the spawn system.

Also Big Team iirc is coming this week with the first major update for the game, bringing its own exclusive maps (albeit forge creations from the Cartographers).

I strongly disagree with you Azzy and agree 1000% with the OP. I spent an hour combing through the whole under 10 ACTUAL stock maps....and they are severly dissapointing. Anytime a game depends on a stock map with Forge variants, it just screams "creative nightmare". All of the maps except one, Plaza, looks and reminds me of maps from Reach.

In fact I'll go on to speculate that the design team simply kmported the best sections of previous maps and mashed them together and used simple texture reassignment to create the H5 ones. One cannot simply look at maps aside previous titles and logically or realistically state that the maps are unique and new.

Since Halo Reach, we have seen a heavy reliance on Forge by both developers and players alike in an attempt to extend the multiplayer map replay value. The amount of artistic, fresh, new designs for ACTUAL maps has declined significantly over the past 5 years.

As to who's fault it is that mal design has declined is anyones guess. But the truth is right in front of us. Map design has gotten lax and it is only the older gamers who really take notice of recycled portions of maps in every sequel. I certaintly wouldnt expect an untrained eye or evwn a mid 20 something gamer to be able to pick out a large section of Icefields, or Colossus from anything released post Halo 3.

Fact is, most people pay attention to the textures or fancy decals used in the bsp and not the actual geometry for what it is. And by the way, the textudes are low res compared to what other companies are using and the shader usage is very poor. I seriously can't say it is better than Reach, and the raytracing/radiosity/lightmapping is the worst I've seen since Halo 3.

• Like 1