Dual wiedling in halo 4

gollum385

I believe that with the return of a new halo, and hopefully not a new reach, dual wielding should return. Although many dislike it, It is a fun and unique aspect of halo and also feel there is a good solution to the problems of a dual wieldable weapon.

Many dual wieldable weapons are on there own, a poor weapon to have, and this is why many people disregard them. For halo for, i believe the solution is to give each weapon a single wield 'advantage' over the dual wielding. For example, the pistol should be able to scope whilst single wielded, but not when dual wielded. Another example could be the plasma burn effect of a plasma rifle, the 'home in' or vehicle stun time of a plasma pistol, or the bullet spread/reticule bloom of dual wielding a weapon.

I also feel the needler should return as a dual wield weapon. It would need to be stronger than the halo 2 version, and again maybe it's weakness could be a reduction in the 'home in' of the needles. The mauler should also make a return, but should either fire slower, or some other method to ensure the shot beatdown combo does not return (or at least is not as effective).

I also think the sword should be dual wielded. The sword has been constantly outclassed by the shotgun, and so something is needed to spruce it up. The single sword would have a larger lunge range, and possiblt could use less energy per strike (methods to make single wield better). The single wield would require 2 hits, but the speed between hits could be increased, and as most people double beatdown with the sword in halo 3 anyway, this shouldnt be a problem. The dual sword could then be used to be more powerful than shotgun etc, as it will be harder to aquire. It will also make for amazing swords matches.

In place of the single wield sword, A new weapon would take it's place. For anyone who has played halo2, the elites and then brute honour guard, have a staff which they hold (looks like an energy sword on a stick). This would be the new single wield weapon. It would have a great lunge, and the swiping method would work similarly to the grav hammer (but without the pulse), meaning multiple enemies could be hit by it.

Finally i feel the perfect new dual wield feature should be a jackal shield. This shield would have a battery similar to a plasma pistol/rifle. When the trigger is pulled the shield covers the user's body/head. Bullets hitting the shield will make it's energy go down/overheat. If it overheats, the shield dissapears, becomes unusable, like normal jackal shields. To cover your body fully, the user would need to crouch, sacrificing speed for shelter. This would add an interesting aspect to the multiplayer and dual wielding.

People's opinions, Alternative suggestions of how to make dual wielding better and other dual wield weapons would be awesome, I really hope that dual wielding does return, as it is a very unique feature that halo has.

• Like 1

I liked the idea of dual wielding in Halo 2. On the flood missions as the arbiter (Quarntine Zone, Sacred Icon), using dual SMG's would be my favourite thing to use :D The SMG should definitly make a return- dual wield or not- with the ODST M7S which is amazingly powerful :D

I like your ideas, though the dual energy swords I'm not sure about- unless one could block (John vs Luda' Rolumee> 'Halo Legends: The Package') while the other slashed, then it might work...

The jackal shield should definatly be able to be used as it states in a number of Halo books ('Halo: Ghosts Of Onyx for example)

Also, the Honour Guard weapon is called an Energy Stave.

Assailant, can you please specify what weapons you think are too strong already (i guess in terms of dual wielding).

If you think of the mauler, I said nerf it. If you think of the sword, it is underpowered, and making it dual wieldable would make it probably more powerful than the sword, but a) you lose the power of grenades, and B) getting dual wield swords wouldnt be common.

As for stealing ideas from other fps games, i guess you are just referring to the jackal shield and the cod riot shield? I'd like to point out that the jackal shield has been in all halo games, well before mw2, and I am just stating a way to implement this as a dual wieldable weapon.

My idea to make dual wielding more balanced is for the weapons to be stronger as single wield, meaning they have their unique uses there, with special characteristics, but obviously when dual wielding you gain the ability to shoot 2 weapons at once, whilst losing these abilities, and probably having worse accuracy aswell slightly, and the ability to throw grenades.

Thecobaltocean, thanks for your positive comments. I realise the dual wield sword is a strange concept to some, but with the addition of the energy stave (thanks for letting me know the name), it would make sense to make them different, and maybe they will actually be useful over a shotgun when dual wielded, plus make sword combat interesting. As for blocking with a sword, i think there could be a variety of combos you could do with them which would make them act differently. Ideas could be left and right triggers does one thing, left or/and right trigger and beatdown doing another, or timing them differently (left then right etc). That could mean blocking could be done, or big lunges or to quick slashes etc, making it an interesting concept for games. with the energy stave, the role of a covenant close combat weapon with one hit kill is still there. I too love the smg and spiker, the feeling of unloading them on halo 3 is awesome. I always remember the smg plasamrifle halo 2 combo too.

jonmoon. I agree that dual wielding isn't people's favourite concept, but most people would disagree that you are saying halo 2 and 3 are not awesome. In fact most people rate halo 2 multiplayer way above reach. I know that halo 2 missed the ar, and mainly they don't use dual wielding, but if a feature like this was available, and as i said above, gives each dual wieldable weapon an advantage when single wielded (meaning it is more useable as a single wield weapon in comparison to previous games) then surely this feature would just add to gameplay, rather than spoiling it?

Thanks for the comments guys.

JoshuaEastham, i completely agree, i remember seeing a vidoc from bungie with an elite killing a marine with dual swords, and it made me so excited! The idea of dual swords swords sounds so good to me, and with an energy stafe replacing a single wield sword, and actually giving the sword to be potentially better than the shotgun sounds like a good way to mix up the gameplay to me!

Rumerboy, i completely agree that halo was the original main game to utilise dual wielding. The other thing that makes it unique over games like cod, is you can actually choose what weapons to dual wield, and can also single wield them.

teken, i agree it would strike me as strange if the chief could no longer dual wield. I think it would be a shame too. I know some people don't like it, but i have fond memories of pumping a brute full of dual needles in halo 2, or emptying a clip of dual smg's / spikers in halo 3, and that awesome feeling of reloading (halo 3 allowing for seperate reloading of each weapon).

No.

I dislike this idea greatly, It'd just be stealing more ideas from other overrated FPS games.

People are already complaining about certain weapons being to strong,

can you imagine how much worse this would make it?

Halo invented Dual Wielding mister..

Thanks for your comments. I'd like to point out only halo 2 and 3 had dual wielding (not ce, also in the trilogy). However master chiefs new armour allowed him to dual wield, or at least explained why he couldnt before. Unless his armour goes backwards in halo 4 (which would be stupid) then it should be in. I think like many of the ideas i and other people have proposed, there may be things that people dislike, but other people do like. If the game is just adding more features, then whats the harm.

What i think makes my idea good for both sides of the argument is that the weapons have advantages when single wielded, meaning they can be used on their own should it suit those people that don't like dual wielding. For those who don't mind sacrificing use of grenades, those abilities and maybe accuracy for more bullets, and like the idea of cool weapon combos (smg sword etc) and the ability to fire more bullets, then as long as it's balanced (my idea tries to achieve that), then what is the harm?

Why wouldnt you like the idea of dual swords? Obviously in normal matchmaking it would be hard to acquire 2, and the introduction of the energy stave would replace the sword. What do you think of jackal shield or other dual wield weapons then?

Does the idea of making it have special abilities when single wielded (like pistol scope or plasma burn, needler lock on etc) interest you to make them more useable as a single wield weapon, or did you think halo 3 got the balance right, or this would make them too versatile etc?

Stop thinking of this as taking ideas from other games. Think solely of this as what has been offered in previous Halo games. CoD did not patent or copyright the use of a shield it is not stealing in anyway. Think of it this way, you can use a knife when you melee with a single weapon. If you have 2 however you can only melee using the weapon itself (less damage then a smooth or serrated blade). Holding 2 weapons at once should decrease or totally eliminate melee and should double recoil of the weapon. There should not be any extra equipment use while dual wielding such as grenades or some sort of armor power-up.

thanks gray chill for your input. definately agree in now way is this stealing ideas from other games. Dual wielding was in halo 2 first, and the jackal shield being used by spartans is apparantly referenced throughout the books.

Definately don't like the idea of using a knife in halo 3 for normal single wield melee (although it was ok for assasinations (but would lke other non knife assasinations, and weapon specific ones)). In most cases single wield weapons are still used as a melee weapon.

Agree that dual wielding should have some sort of punishment in terms of recoil/bloom (if it returns). Again to make the weapons more appealing to be used in single wield, and to satisfy the wants for balanced weapons from people who don't like dual wielding, i have propsed this system of 'special abilities' a weapon has when single wield, but not when dual wielded.

Definately wouldnt want being able to throw grenades in dual wield, as that is one of the trade off's. However halo 3 allowed you to use equipment, and i think that was ok.

chief has been able to duel wield, and in reach you where are Spartan 3 not a Spartan 2, so maybe

What Spartan type makes no difference- Spartan III's had similar and safer augmentations as Spartan II's and had arguably better training- also Noble Team had MJOLNIR armour too- they could of dual wielded- and so could the rest of the 900+ SIII's created

i really liked dual wielding because instead of loads of new weapons you could wield 2 at once with a variety of what to dual wield it also made for good action sack games. Sorry Gollum i don't think that dual swords should be implemented, it would be too over powered to have with sword with, for example, the smg, because you could kill with mid to long range with the smg whilst beating down people at close range with the sword. So unless, you could use only 2 swords when dual wielding swords it would be too unbalanced