SEVERE ISSUE: Split-screen framerate problems

tinman717

I have used the search bar and I am fully aware that this issue has been discussed several times in the past.  However, I think that this problem needs to be given much more attention than it receiving right now, so I'm creating a new formal thread for it.

When playing split-screen in Matchmaking, the framerate on many maps is VERY SLOW.  This wasn't a huge issue when the game first came out, but now that a large number of community forge maps are in circulation, it has become a pretty big problem for those of us who play with a partner.  The issue is apparent on ALL community made forge maps, as well as Complex.  The amount of "glitchy-ness" varies depending on gametype and map.

I play split-screen on an HD projector with my roommate / teammate.  We primarily spend time in the SWAT playlist.  We all know this playlist requires a lot of precision and perfect timing.....which is impossible to achieve when the cursor is choppy when moving across the screen!

I think it is really important for 343 to at least ADDRESS the issue and let us know that something is being done about it.  Halo has always been a great game to play with friends.  The issue renders some maps literally UNPLAYABLE, ruining what used to be a pretty big attraction of the game.

I'm using a slim-line Xbox 360.  I wonder if the issue is even worse for those with older models?

I'd like to actually compile a formal complaint / request to send to 343i, to hopefully kick their butts into gear a little more.  Anyone know the contact info where I can send a letter?

Yeah, this is a very big issue that does deserve more attention. I believe the reason it has seen more light is more people play Halo 4 by themselves then with friends on splitscreen.

The forge maps coming into circulation is THE reason I finally put the game down and play Halo 3 now. They are just unplayable when the framrate decides to big out. I was happy with Infinity Slayer with the generic maps, but now that forge maps got put in (and it was one of the last playlists to get forge maps) I can't even play that cuz everyone always vote forge maps.

I am with you on this. 343 needs to work on optimizing splitscreen multiplayer rather than patting themselves on the back and popping champaign open for implementing things that should have been in the game at launch.

By all means do let them know what you think... but, unfortunately I don't really think there's much that can be done to fix this framerate drop you describe.

They have pushed the game engine and the xbox hardware to the limit pretty much - and while the maps out of the box will usually not see a problem, when a level has a lot of forge objects it is harder to render everything quickly. Of course add another player and you can get problems. I've not really played a lot of forge maps with another player in this Halo game, but I remember this from 3 and Reach.

They've already made a call on how much framerate drop they will accept and therefore how much they can ask of the hardware in terms of detail and whatnot. Maybe it's not impossible to change something, but something else might suffer as a result.

I don't know if the version of the xbox you have makes much difference. I would be interested to compare HDMI and component however, or whether switching between 1080 and 720 makes a difference. What output and resolution setting are you on?