Critical Features in Halo 4 Forge are Missing

CDR Alpha Niner

Hey, guys.

Halo 4 Forge is missing 3 critical features which were in Halo: Reach Forge. This factor makes it frustratingly difficult to precisely align pieces.

-zoom feature for Monitor

-stick-activated precise nudging feature (which can move pieces ever so slightly, even less than what a coordinate move will provide, which is sometimes needed for proper alignment)

-no view reset when grabbing a piece (currently, your view resets every time you grab a piece, which can cause your Monitor to bounce and ricochet off a structure, and if it gets trapped and forcibly moved, your piece sometimes moves with you)

I would encourage 343 to put in the zoom featured and trigger-activated nudge system and to remove view resetting for Forge in order to cut down on frustration.

And I'm not wild about the delays caused by switching between Monitor and Spartan over lighting adjustments, but I suppose that can't be helped.

• Like 1

There are some other things missing/wrong as well. Broken dynamic lighting, pieces shifting, hard barriers under the terrain too close to the surface, etc. Thing is, these issues have been addressed, and 343i is aware of the issues. Hopefully they're working on something to improve the forging experience. I for one, can't complain too much though. Forge in Halo 4 is an overall improvement. We have lighting, new features, better looking maps, more varied environments, new pieces, etc. We gotta enjoy what we got and look forward to what the future holds :)

Pieces shifting, eh? It's doing that to me now!

I spent 12 hours forging yesterday! 12 HOURS working to align my entire base structure in Impact! I log on today, all the pieces' alignment is totally off! So I access the backup copy, and everything seems okay, so I save the backup as a new file, but when I access the new file and the backup copy a second time, the pieces have shifted in the backup copy, too! And every single one of them was locked!

According to the coordinates, the yaw of every piece shifted by 1 point, and I'm not sure how this has happened.

Either way, the bigger question: how do I stop it?

That depends. Did you use magnets to align the pieces or freehand it? I've found the best way to prevent the shifting is to use coordinates ONLY. Locking also helps a lot, so it's good that you're doing that. Another thing I have to ask: Are you co-forging this map? That's a MAJOR reason for objects shifting. If you start up a forge game with more than one person in the lobby, the pieces will be horribly out of place. It has something to do with host connections. Hope this helps!

Something to note about that video though. Funny as it may be, I still take offense to it. They're making it out like ALL of the problems with forge were deliberately planned out to be things the community doesn't want, which simply isn't true. Sure, we may not all agree with some of the creative approaches and decisions they made (holes in the pieces, no Falcon, etc) but I think people are over reacting. The new forge is an overall improvement, even with it's flaws. Sure there were some screw ups like fine editing not making it (which was a button mapping bug that wasn't discovered), but at least we have forge and the community is making the most of it.

• Like 1