Some points for future campaigns

Sandtrap

I was surprised by Halo 4's campaign. I went into the game expecting rubbish, and for the most part got rubbish but I highly enjoyed the campaign. It was refreshing to have a nice campaign after so long. But there were a few things that bothered me. Figure I'll put em down here.

The "feel" of the campaign. Since Halo 4 is 343's first Halo game, I can see why they'd change the appearances to give off the impression that this is their series now, but I think it was overdone in a lot of areas. Almost as if it was screaming at the players every time they played the campaign, "See all this stuff? It's 343's now!!"

I don't want to start anything now, but I am aware a lot of Halo 4 came out of the Kilo 5 trilogy novels and Greg Bears works. I enjoy Greg Bears stuff, and the Kilo 5 trilogy to an extent, but it's a shame they based so much off of Kilo 5. The series for lack of a better term, "butchered" the feeling of Halo.

When I look at the UNSC in Halo 4, I no longer see them like I did in the past Halos. They don't even seem remotely related to the UNSC at all. The design of the Infinity doesn't give off a UNSC feel for me, the 343 Frigates and Cruisers that got an odd makeover for Halo 4 are out of place.

The portrayal of the Covenant in the Kilo 5 novels, specifically the Elites was, honestly, horrid. I noticed all the novels in Halo lore had a tendency to portray the Covenant as technologically advanced, yet dumb at the same time. This was taken to the extreme in the Kilo 5 trilogy, portraying Elites as feral, unintelligent beings incapable of doing anything without their leadership and allies.

For the race that brought the prophets to their knees in the war with them before the Covenant was formed, this does little justice to them.

The Elites in Halo 4 and spops were portrayed in a better light, but the entire time I was fighting them, there was a nagging in the back of my head, "We shouldn't even be fighting them in the first place."

Another issue that bothered me was the Didact and his forces. I understand that players needed something to distinguish between Forerunners and their buildings, but why the Didact changed to orange over the course of the events that happened to him is puzzling to me. You have this clash of the traditional silver and blue of what Forerunners were portrayed as, and then you have this lone Forerunner, his troops, and locations "owned" by him, that are suddenly orange and silver.

Anywho, I'm going to stop before going along any further, but I'll leave you folks with this.

343 doesn't need to change the "feel" of halo as much as they did in Halo 4 to signify their ownership of the series. And they should stick a little less to the novels than what they did with Halo 4. The novels have always been "disconnected" from the main campaigns, merely showing other parts and perspectives of the universe that aren't covered by the campaigns. I say this mainly because the Kilo 5 trilogy is off putting and feels disconnected from the past Halo lore, and steam rolled over a good chunk of established things. Since halo 4 has many roots attached to this series, it by extension feels somewhat off-putting.

PS: First time posting here, so don't drop a nuke on me if I didn't drop this in the right place.

• 3 weeks later...