Combine the best of Halo Reach and Halo 4 = perfect game

wookieeassassin

So I went back and played some Reach today and noticed some things that I liked that are not present in Halo 4.

1) Armor customization options. Almost all of the armor customization options in Reach look great. Halo 4 armor customization just looks like the same piece but with the edges being either more round or sharper.

2) playing as Elites. Playing as elites was awesome

3) Invasion game mode. Easily the best game mode in Reach. I loved the pseudo-classes and the asymmetrical teams

4) Evade armor ability. Thruster pack is similar but not anywhere near as good IMO.

5) Armor lock. Ok, ok, don't jump down my throat just yet... but here is the thing.. even though armor lock was overpowered and annoying it served its intended purpose. I feel like the hardlight shield works great sometimes but other times it feels really unreliable against explosives.

6) UNSC flying vehicles. the falcon wasnt anything extraordinary.. just a transport helicopter with chainguns.. but it was still fun to fly in multiplayer. the Hornet from halo 3 was also fun.

7) Enemy AI. I was playing firefight on legendary and an Elite would straight up own you by himself if you just ran straight at him. In halo 4 in spartan ops an elite will just be like "rawwr!!" and throw a grenade at you 5 miles per hour while you shoot the crap out of him.

8) evasive manuevers in the banshee are waaaaay better.

9) you don't have to aim the wraith reticle halfway up the screen just to hit something 20 feet in front of you with the plasma mortar

Things I really like from Halo 4:

1) Excessive bloom is gone.

2) Everyone can sprint now. It speeds the gameplay up IMO.

3) Damage bleeding through shields is back!

4) Maps, dear lord the maps. The only maps I dont love are abandon and longbow, and I only think they are not great because 4v4 on abandon has everyone camping the main lift and 8v8 everyone camps the center base on longbow. For any other gametype (dominion for example) they are great too. Halo Reach's maps were pretty awful.. some of them were OK, but most of them were mediocre at best. What made them worse is that many of them were areas that were reused in the campaign, making them feel less special. Pretty much all of the forge world maps were terrible... just a bunch of gray blocks on a grassy field

5) The weapons for the most part seem more balanced. The beam rifle is back. All the weapon models look great in my opinion. There are cool new weapons that have been added like the railgun (a power skillful one hit kill power weapon than the rocket launcher)

One thing from Halo 3 I would like to see come back is the Elephant in big team. Having some sort of mobile CTF like Battlefield 2142 had would be pretty cool IMO.

Does anybody else think if the best of Reach and Halo 4 were combined (and a couple things from Halo 3) then the resulting game would just about be perfect? Are any of the things I mentioned planning on being added in the January update?

I don't think if I was making the perfect Halo game that Halo 4 and Halo Reach would be the primary ingredients.

I definitely like sprinting, and I like AAs, and I love the sticky detonator, and the Mantis, and the OPTION to respawn instantly.

The trouble is Halo Reach felt like it was built to make people feel like they were doing OK all the time, no matter whether or not they were OK at the game. In Reach all the easiest weapons to use were the most powerful. Grenades were better than they've been in any Halo game before or since, in fact every weapon that explodes got a massive boost to radius and damage, as well as less damage drop-off the closer you got to the edge of the explosion's area. The sniper rifle was insanely easy to use and also crushed vehicles. As I recall my first few perfections in Reach involved that sniper rifle.

Halo 4 does the same thing as Reach but instead of making all the cheapest and easiest weapons the strongest, Halo 4 just constantly hinders you. Instead of everyone gaining a lot of easy-to-use power, everyone becomes extremely easy to kill with ANY weapon. Empowering anyone to kill but no one to survive.

So if you combined Reach and Halo 4 you would get easy-to-use weapons that killed with minimal mastery AND you wouldn't be able to survive long because you'd be super soft (Call of Duty).

If I wanted to create a perfect Halo I'd probably combine Halo 3, Halo: CE, and Halo 4. Halo 4 just has the biggest bag of tricks of any of the games just like any most recent game in a series will. Halo 3 had the best multiplayer, Halo: CE had the best overall attitude I think.

I like a lot about Halo 4 and I generally don't wish for the "good old days" of any previous Halo, but I consistently fail to understand why Bungie and now 343 always insisted on changing things that worked well into things that worked not-so-well. I also don't understand why they empowered things that were already good enough, like why Bungie made the sniper rifle even BETTER in Reach and 343 continued that progression. It's not like the thing EVER failed to do its job. So why mess with it? For me it seems like a simple mission to improve things that don't work well and add new content, taking breaks to make sure everything works well together.

So I'd grab the balance of Halo 3, the variety of Halo 4, and the groundbreaking feel of Halo CE. Of those three CE also had the best campaign (I remember Halo 3 had a good campaign, but it was the first game I could play on Live, so I was just too excited to spend a lot of time on the campaign). I always hated the Flood, but I think I could tolerate STOMPING them in a MANTIS! Or herding the little infectious ones onto a sticky detonator grenade.

I'd like to bet someone money that Halo 5 offers at least the Mantis vs. Flood scenario.