Doom at Quakecon 2014

doom-4.jpg

Tim Willits (of id software I think), moments before the reveal of Doom at Quakecon... decided, "Hey. All 50,000 people streaming this event live... yeah you can turn that off now" and kept the video reveal of Doom exclusive to the Quakecon attendees... :angry:

The end of this video sums it up for me greatly...

Back-tracking, this is the Doom E3 '14 announcement:

Well now that my anger has subsided (partially) I'm going to ramble on what Doom is about. I'll be quoting IGN on this:

1. Fast-paced combat against multiple enemies at once

2. Set outside a massive UAC research facility on Mars as it's being invaded by the forces of Hell.

3. Hellknights, Cyberdemons, Revenants, Mancubii, and other classic monsters were spotted throughout the demo.

4. Classic Doom weapons, including the Double-Barrel Shotgun return. Plasma Rifle, Rocket Launcher, and the Chainsaw were also shown off.

5. Marty Stratton says that "Doom is not about taking cover": As in go guns blazing, all the time.

6. Doom is powered by IdTech 6, and will be for PC, PS4, and Xbox One. They are "committed" to 1080P at 60 frames-per-second".

7. Gory close range executions, including special ones for dropping down on enemies from above (sounds similar to Reach/4 assassinations).

8. Revenants now have jetpacks and can hover about while firing rockets at you.

9. At least one weapon, the Combat Shotgun, has an alternate fire mode, which allows you to charge up and release multiple shells in rapid succession.

10. Sprinting, double-jumping and mantling are all possible, making for very fluid motion during combat.

11. Enemies can teleport in for old-school style ambushes

12. Dying results in a crazy fatality scene depending on what killed you, like Dead Space. Revenants rip your arms off and punch straight through your combat helmet.

13. Old school mechanics. No reloading your clip, hold as many weapons as you want, health and ammo pick-ups etc. "NO REGENERATING HEALTH".

Welp thats the gist of it. I REEALLY wanted to see the gameplay demo, but whatever. Maybe they'll show something at Gamescom.

Thoughts?

Source: IGN

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/18/doom-gameplay-unveiled-at-quakecon-2014?read