More Rumors: Xbox One Titanfall model, Halo 2 Anniversary release date, etc.

Screech

Earlier today Kotaku posted a story on a huge list of Xbox One-related leaks posted on NeoGAF late last night by someone using the handle "ntkrnl," who has been confirmed to be connected with Microsoft. Here's the article, with all of the interesting stuff highlighted:

Plans for a disc-free Xbox One? Halo 5 in 2015? A Halo 2 remake this fall?

A massive dump of rumors posted on NeoGAF last night hints at all that and more: a new Forza Horizon this fall; a game called Shangheist that was cancelled when the studio Black Tusk started development on a new Gears of War; a widespread white Xbox One launch later this year.

This all comes from someone with the handle ntkrnl, who hasn't identified himself but has been posting details and tidbits about Microsoft's future plans for the past 24 hours. Some of the info is vague—like an alleged deal between Microsoft and the cloud processing company Cloudgine—while other snippets are more specific, like details about the upcoming Xbox One game Sunset Overdrive. Ntkrnl adds that Halo 2: Anniversary is scheduled for November 11 and Fable Legends will be out in the summer of 2015.

So how valid is this stuff? Well, thanks to a reliable source, I've been able to confirm that ntkrnl is indeed connected to Microsoft, although I haven't been able to verify any of the poster's claims. Just because the leaker is in a position to know this information doesn't mean this information is true. (When I reached out this morning, Microsoft declined to comment.)

But adding some veracity to ntkrnl's posts is The Verge's Tom Warren, who has a very good track record with Microsoft-related leaks and rumors. Warren says he's been able to verify a few of ntkrnl's claims, including the white Xbox One release and a major dashboard update scheduled for this March that will reportedly fix some of the system's big interface and party chat issues. Warren also says he confirmed Microsoft is testing out builds of the Xbox One without a disc drive—floated by ntkrnl—although neither knows whether that version of the console will actually make it to the market.

On top of all that, according to one person familiar with the situation who spoke to me under condition of anonymity, Microsoft is currently trying to track down and identify ntkrnl. According to that person, Microsoft executives are looking to take legal action against ntkrnl, which, again, doesn't mean that everything he says is true.

Ntkrnl also posted a mock-up of what appears to be a Titanfall-themed Xbox One bundle:

ku-xlarge.png

Two industry sources have told me that this bundle is real, although the image is not 100% accurate. UPDATE (5:37pm): It's worth noting that just because the bundle is real doesn't mean it will make its way to store shelves. Frequent NeoGAFfer Pete Dodd, who has been correct about some gaming rumors in the past, says he heard the bundle was cancelled.

So, what'cha think guys? I really hope that Halo 2: Anniversary release date is legit! It's also worth noting that Edward Kenway has already posted about ntkrnl's white console / XBL update leaks - check it out!

Kotaku's Story

NeoGAF Thread

• Like 3

While interesting and convincing, I have some concerns about that Titanfall bundle image, for starters, the image of the side of the X1 (with the power-on button) has a hexagonal pattern in the image on the box, while the model is just matte grey. Also colours and shades seem to be somewhat off and differ from the image on the box and the model image beside it. I smell photoshop on that bundle.

Besides that, nice job. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

While interesting and convincing, I have some concerns about that Titanfall bundle image, for starters, the image of the side of the X1 (with the power-on button) has a hexagonal pattern in the image on the box, while the model is just matte grey. Also colours and shades seem to be somewhat off and differ from the image on the box and the model image beside it. I smell photoshop on that bundle.

Besides that, nice job. :thumbsup:

Yeah, now that you mention that, I see it too and it most-likely is a photoshop job. I mean, they're doing a Titanfall controller for the XB1 already... maybe they thought of doing a full console and then just decided to make a controller instead?

Seriously, if I hear any more good news or get any more excited, I think I'll die! :)

Hahahaha, same here man! I'm really looking forward to all of the new games coming out this year, especially if Halo 2: Anniversary is one of them!! That'll just be the icing on the cake.

• Like 1