Lets Talk Censorship

ShawnHalogen

I have used the same service tag (H08) since Halo 2. It has worked on every game until MCC for PC. I complained that this was such an unnecessary thing to censor and wouldn't you know it, 2 months later I was able to use it again, which gave me a nice warm and fuzzy inside. Fast forward to Infinite, and all of a sudden its offensive again. Realizing that I'm dealing with senior citizen developers that are offended by 1950s insults, I just changed it to H88 (which I should probably change because the number 88 has been hijacked by racists).

However, now that I'm in forge trying to create community content, that problem has reemerged. I have a grid where I'd like to name each grid object like (A01, B04, G08, etc...). Once I got to the H section, I had to get creative. You would think that anything with H0 would be censored out but that's not the case. H01, H02, H04, H07, H09 are all valid entries. Which is weird as ****. H03, H05, H06, ->H08<- and H10(???) are all censored. I know one of you old guys is going to read this and "fix" the problem by censoring the other ones but can we please reevaluate this stuff? I don't want to change the names because I would like to keep the objects in a particular order and I've already named over 70 objects. Likewise, if these terms are so offensive, then how come your forum doesn't censor them with *** like my super offensive S-bomb?

I'm using these tags to name objects, something that a player would never even see unless they were forging a copy of my map. So what do you guys do with letter prefabs? Or swastikas, Isis flags, N-bombs, or other bigoted crap that you can't censor for that is super easy for 12 year olds to implement? You can't just create a rudimentary system that you just set and forget that takes care of all your moderation. It's lazy development. I'm close to finishing my software development degree so I create portfolio pieces of various mods and applications I've made over the years, but this (not the bugs or limitations of forge) makes me want to invest my time creating community content for other games that let you mod with the training wheels removed.

So until then, I found a wonderful workaround that I'll be using instead:

343GeniusCensorship.png.c97195e33693f73c7b5e22761f9292b1.png