Halo Machinima Trailer!

VinWarrior

Hi, I had a watch, thought I would post a couple of comments. Just thought I would say from the start that I don't mean any of this offensively more just as constructive criticism.

The first thing I noticed was the lack of... well anything. Apart from the same elite standing there for the most of the it there wasn't anything going on. No music, no voices (I'll mention this a bit more later.) From a watchers stand point a trailer to me is like the first few lines in a book; it needs to snag the watcher/reader and drag them in. It needs to give them a reason to watch it. Sadly I don't feel that watching this. It's just a moving picture with some writing.

As for the writing I understand there might be some complications with voices etc but having the writing as all of the spoken parts of the story would be a bit dragging in my opinion. First off it does detract from the central image which is obviously an important part of a Machinima. It's akin to if you watch a film in another language and have to read the subtitles in that it can get a bit distracting.

My advice: Either get some voice overlay for the machinima (and this would be my main point) or if you really can't work around this then aim for the silent film approach, i.e. music playing in the background and then the words flash up on the screen in a separate slide when the person speaks. The problem with this is it might not suit depending on the story/theme and is the clip is too wordy it just detracts from the whole thing.

As for a trailer as a whole I never think it should be part of a story. It needs to be an overview, a look at what will happen and could happen, drag people in and make them want to watch it all. Otherwise it turns in a mini-episode/episode preview.

Apart from that the actual camera work in general seems fine and I am interested to see more if it gains a bit more... pizazz but it just doesn't grab me at present. As I said I don't mean this offensively just offering my opinion.

• Like 1

I wasn't suggesting it wasn't good nor insulting it I was merely offering suggestions to improve. Something as simple as sticking a music track on it would be enough to help the lack of audio problem.

Is there no voices because you can't find voice actors or for some other reason? If it's the former I simple post on these forum might be enough to find people willing to help. Remember voices don't need to do done over Xbox Live (in fact, the really shouldn't) so if someone is willing to help then they simply have to record what you want and then send it to you separately allowing you to sync it up.

Casper is right is is difficult to comment on this without being critical. I have worked on loads of Halo videos and Machinma. I know how much work it can be. You deserve to be commended for even attempting to undertake a machinma project. Sharing it with the community takes courage. Keep working on it. I cant wait to see a finished product. PM me if you need any help, or advise.