Halo 4 YouTube Help Please!?!?

Rob T

So I've started a YouTube channel that gives tips, tricks, tests, and commentary that is doing pretty decent, but I was wondering if you guys had any ideas for some video tips, tests, or whatever that you haven't been able to find? Also any advice on my channel either good or bad would be appreciated. Check it out in the link below and let me know what you think. Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/user/GumShoePro/featured

I do not have a Youtube channel, but I have enjoyed the work of some people who do.

They all had some things in common:

1. They collaborate with other Youtubers, basically paying attention to what is going on it their industry. So you want to know your Halo 4 and you want to make sure you know what tools you can use to upload the best videos possible. This involves networking with people as well as actually working with them, and researching things so that you always are on the cutting edge of information about your content.

2. They give props to each other, and link each others' channels when they do work together. You don't want every one of your videos to have a dozen links to other Youtubers, but if you get an idea from one of them or work together on a video, you need to mention it in the video and make sure your viewers can find everyone who contributed.

3. They're all good at the games they use on their channels. No one wants to watch gameplay they can produce themselves, they want to watch gameplay they WANT to produce themselves. One guy I watched for a lot of BF3 videos was better than most of his fellow Youtube collaborators, and they were ALL good. When they used stock footage though, it was almost always his gameplay. Whenever he collaborated with someone who was better than him, as much as possible he directed the camera to that player instead of himself. This is probably the toughest requirement to fill, because not everyone is born talented at the same things, but if you work hard enough you can fool people into thinking you are.

4. Even though they're all good at their games, and must therefore invest time in said games, they all invest time in editing and preparing videos. I think when explaining his 8-hour workday the one guy said he gets about 3 hours of gaming and 5 hours of editing and such. The higher the production quality of your videos, the easier it is for viewers to understand what is going on onscreen and the more likely they are to come back.

I don't know to what extent you want to grow your channel and focus on it, but the more successful Youtubers I've seen do all of the above. Once again, I don't have a channel and I don't know this stuff from first hand experience, but I do know what I see happening in the channels I enjoy watching. It's just like everything else in life, if you're serious and put your mind to it, you can handle it.

One more thing that I forgot when I made my first post:

Episodic Content: Everyone who could make a job for themselves out of Youtube gave themselves a job to do, specifically they create some kind of consistent content.

I've already seen someone in Halo doing loadout episodes, where in each video they try a different loadout. I don't actually think Halo 4's arsenal is vast and varied enough to support that particular series for long, but they'll get a dozen episodes or so out of it. The point is you set yourself a task, say every Tuesday. Then on every Tuesday you upload a new episode of a particular series you're doing, Halo 4 provides a lot of material already in the form of challenges.

So you could do a challenge series, where you say "these challenges are common, here is the best way I've found to get X challenge" and in the mean time your viewers get some hilarious gameplay footage of you trying for an enormous amount of assassinations or something. Since the challenges don't actually change that much (They only give a few at a time, but they're always drawing from the same short list) this could get you some content.

Finally you could just do "challenge" videos without using the challenges from Halo 4. You could do a video where you set yourselves a challenge and say "Our challenge was to win the game without anyone on our team using precision weapons" and then upload the whole game, switching perspectives when one player is doing something much more interesting than the other. To get a team for this type of thing you'd want to enlist other Youtubers or other players you could count on to uphold the terms of the challenge (If you just go in with an AR and your whole team of randoms has DMRs then you aren't really fulfilling that challenge).

Another thing I've seen a lot in shooters is Weapon reviews. You focus your gameplay on one weapon for a day or two, and then you upload a video with highlights saying what you felt about the weapon. You also give statistics on the weapon so people have some numbers in front of them instead of just your opinion. In Halo you actually have a good variety of vehicles too, so you could add those to the arsenal of things to review (I wouldn't spend much time on the mongoose).

I have seen Youtubers getting information out on such a scale that the developers actually patched the games in order to address issues highlighted by said Youtubers. A lot of the time you're giving the community a voice. You aren't THE voice of the community though, just someone making content that is readily accessible and publicly available.

The point of the episodic content is that viewers have something they can expect from you on a consistent basis, and you give yourself consistent work to do minding your channel. That way you don't have a long period where you just got busy or fell out of love with Youtube and your channel dries up without new content. You keep creating content because you make it your job to do so.