Custom Games & Random

Bounce

(Sorry if this is in the wrong section of the forum, can't quite see where "Custom Games" go when there's a separate section for Matchmaking, Forge etc. but not for it... But anyways)

I'm amongst that (surprisingly large) community who mainly play Custom Games instead of Matchmaking when playing multiplayer. Now, it's a bit surprising that ever since Reach, it seems that Custom Games have actually gotten narrower than they were before. Even though they are an extremely vital part of what makes Halo so amazing... I just noticed many threads of people talking about quite enormous grievances of missing customization options, but I like to focus on one smallish but very important detail.

In a game with Random weapons, there absolutely needs to be an option to limit certain or at least certain types of weapons. I seem to remember there being some kind of way to do that in Halo 3 (either a checklist or a "no heavy / no snipers etc." type selection), but in Reach it was definitely missing and almost single-handedly destroyed the whole Random Weapons gametype. There are heavy weapons (and depending on the map, possibly also weapons like snipers) that basically break and decide games on their own. And Halo 4 includes several more weapons like that.

I have not found a way to limit the weapon selection this time either (I guess it's possible that there's a odd way of achieving this - I did at least see one list with "no heavies" etc., but it was about Ordnances or so - so if anyone knows, please do tell)... We tried a couple games, and it's just wrong. As it is (with no limitations), Random a game of one-shot-kill heavy weapons instead of what it's supposed to be - skill and cunning (in that you have to make do with what you have, which makes it even more exciting). Halo isn't about running around and just blasting away. What made Halo so amazing was the strategy (and the way you could do different types of strategies with different weapon combinations - a reason why Random is so fun, 'cause you never know what you'll get), and when you're just running around shooting everywhere with heavy weapons it's more like Quake than Halo.

Now, I understand that there are plans to give Halo 4 updates that really do add content instead of just bug fixes, and I can't say how important this (and (for others) several other small changes to many types of Custom Games options) would be to the experience. Basically, giving back one of the most fun gametypes Halo has had. And with not a very big tweek, either.

I'm definitely not alone in this!

If anyone read this, then thank you.

Yeah, very good points, I really don't understand how 343 Industries can have left these things outs if the majority of their staff are really into Halo.

Also they have done the same thing with infection, because they have replaced it with Flood it completely crews over any customization, even simple things like them being able to hold weapons. So that gets rid of virtually all incredibly fun game types that have permeated the Halo Universe since Halo 3 such as Ghost Busters or Smear the *****.

How the hell did 343 Industries create a game that they must have known would have wiped out many future creative game types? or what's more worrying what if they didn't know?