How to Make Halo 4 Successful

conmaaan

People start disliking a series when the developers start changing things. For example, Call of Duty Black Ops. They made the gameplay slower and made the weapons weaker so many people disliked it. In halo reach the BR was taken out, and many other systems such as the melee system, grenades, and health were altered. The key to making people stay interested in a series is to look at what you've already made successful and add upon it, not change it. The best advice I could give is take the model from halo 3, with all the systems just as they were, and put it into halo 4. Add new weapons, things from Reach, new customizations, new modes, new anything you want to, but just don't start taking things out that people loved in halo 3. Except for one thing,I would NOT recommend adding custom killstreaks or weapon attachments. I've seen Cod fanboys lobbying for these already, but i believe that if they were implemented in halo everyone would hate them. Just some opinions

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I both agree and disagree, for one I think what your saying is agreeable but I don't think they should use just halo 3 engines. I think they should combine both halo3 and halo reach engines and parts and grab the best bits of both. But they will probably just use reach engines seeing as that's what theyr using for halo: combat evolved anniversary.

ahh ok but still they should include some of the reach features like sprint and stuff like that though i wouldn't want the jet pack though, it just recks gameplay and can change you from wining a gunfight to them just flying up and landing behind you. but yes halo 3 features were and still are good.

I think if they were smart and really wanna make the game work the best is look at what halo game was played the most online and that is halo 2 what it came out it was the most play xbox live game ever is had the best gameplay and settings when they came out with halo 3 the ****** with the gameplay and the gums making them more real but thats not the halo everyone knows and love thats why everyone went to playing call of duty bring back halo 2 gameplay and you got a game of the year game

They cant really add any new weapons unless they are sentinel beams and other forerunner technology, and it already looks like they have a jet pack or at least that is what the trailer seemed to have. If you want to make the game successful...just make the game, people are going to buy it as long as it has the essentials. Campaign, Multi-player, custom games, FORGE. This forum shouldn't be named "HOW TO MAKE HALO 4 SUCCESSFUL" It should be named How to make halo 4 playable after the 1st month. I am a big fan of halo,but if my friends decide to play modern warfare then it gets boring playing fat kid by yourself. i think firefight and forge should join forces into an awesome combination that would rival that of Nazis zombies...just think about the possibilities. editing spawns for grunts, elites, and maybe the FLOOD if they choose to add it. And keeping the old weapons wouldn't hurt neither.

I heard they were using a better engine that was in the making before Reach even came out. So it's been in devolpment, and Halo 4 will have a better engine I think. They definately should take out all armor abilities, EXCEPT sprint, evade, and possibly thrusters, which would be like a mini jetpack built into your suit, as seen in the teaser. Add some new guns, like because the covenant most likely won't be in the game, take out their weapons, and add forerunner weapons. Also make BETTER maps than in Reach. Most of the Reach maps were terrible except the Defiant Maps, Sword Base, Breakpoint, and the Spire. 2 of those were taken from Campaign though so they shouldn't even count.

Hi everyone,

The way I see it, Halo games have this different gameplay that distinguishes it from the other games (such as COD and Battlefield) and, as conmaaan said, we should try to stick to same of the main (old and new) Halo features, for example:

-Forge, Firefight, co-op campaign,

-Assassinations,

-Weapons without ADS (aim down sights) [Not sure about this one, and would like to hear some ideas]

-Scarab fights (How could Reach not have a scarab fight?)

-armor abilities should be revised (some more comments on this one as well please)

-No dust (not sure if this isn't bad; comments please)

-etc, you now it,

Question: Should sprint be included as a major ability, like an ability that everybody has? (like in so many other FPS games)

Answer: Not sure, in small maps, sprint could create an illusion of playing COD, everybody is running around and shoot when they see smth, altough, if Batllefield and Crysis, for example, didn't include sprint, the game would be much boring, as you take a lot of time to travel on the maps (specially in battlefield)

Anyway, as the Halo games focuses on the future and the whole Halo franchise focuses on travelling between space and a planet, I don't think it would be a bad idea to, instead of dropping the player in the middle of the battle, leave him in the ship, let him pick up his team mates (more or less as in Reach) [for example, pick marines or ODSTs, or othes spartans, etc; if the story allows the chief to meet with the humans again] and choose wich way to approach the battle (Drop-pods, Falcon, Pelican, Bring a vehicle in a pelican, etc) [by the way, if Halo focuses so much more on vehicles then ohter games, how come that the player can?t drive a pelican or a phantom? (the glitch on reach doesn't count)]

Moreover, somebody said in another post that we should play a foreruner; couldn't disagree more. The games are about the spartans and, as the story tells, the foreruners were overpowerfull, and creating one game about them would be creating a childish game, with a character with a super weapon killing everybody.

Furthermore, I agree with babysas007 when he says that we should be able to create our own firefight game and map, and with all the others in creating our own map, from the mountains and trees, to the direction of the sunlight, to the objects (shape, color) etc, don't know where and who mentioned it for the first time.

Since we're talking about Forge, we should enumerate some mistakes:

-Bungie acknowledged that a way of making an object disappear after a certain period of time or phase was a good idea, but did not included it in the game.

-Bungie said that they never had wanted to create an undo and redo option in the game. For the obvious reasons, this is wrong.

-As sme said earlier, a forge option for pc would be nice, this program could be free, as only halo-4-buyers will want to download it.

-When on forge, when you pick your screenshot and/or lights and etc, an object stays in the place in which you took your screenshot/ placed the light, (such objects are cameras and light orbs), these objects are "hard"; meaning, you can't pass through them or shoot trough them while on forge (they disappear in the game), and might create some difficulties when building around on Forge. This matter doesn't seem to me to be any difficult to solve.

Regarding multiplayer, I would like to hear some comments on weather 343 Industries should incorporate a system of servers as in Conter-Strike, making it easier for players to show their creations, and find players who want to play on the same maps but don't have friends who want to.

Furthermore, when playing reach in maps built in Forge World, The image that shows up on the left top corner, is always the same for any map, making it hard, for people like me, who don't know the names of all the maps, to choose which we prefer to play.

As we're talking about maps; any-Halo-game-pvp-map, has this classic weapon spawn, in which, players who know the maps always have the vantage as they can grab better weapons at the beginning of the game. I know I said earlier that Halo-4 should maintain some of the common Halo features, but adding some maps in which you pick your weapons at the beginning (either in the load-out or in your base) (rocket launcher would have to be weaker or have less rounds), grab vehicle or site on the passenger seat in a warthoug, falcon or pelican and go to battle (much like in battlefield or warrock); or spawn in the sleeping rooms of a spaceship, either grab a sabre, a pelican, or drop to earth (going to earth requires a gigantic map, not sure if the game/console/internet speed could hold on to that) and go to battle to other ship or play an invasion game, would give the game an other taste; allowing for more classic players to stick to the classics, and other kinds of players to try something new.

I would also like to hear some feedback on this and can give ideas for these kind of maps and subsequent gametypes if 343 asks.

(yes, this would probably mean giving a greater importance to vehicles)

All in all, please comment, especially on what I asked, which was:

-ADS for weapons

-Dust in the air when a grenade explodes or you shoot the ground

-"Permanent" Sprint

(bare in mind that if ADS, dust and permanent sprint are added, (just like in so many other games) the game will probably look more violent)

-Servers system (this system is usually on visible in PC, so it would be quite a breakthrough to be the first to have it in a console)

-New type of maps (Halo has a great variety of maps, but would expanding it to other types of game be good?)

To finish, I think that, if my ideas are included in the game, Halo 4 would be a great game, even able to conquer the European market. I know Xbox and Halo are never advertised in Europe, (at least, not in my country nor neighbor countries), but I think that Microsoft and 343 Industries should consider it. PlayStation owns in europe.

See you around and hope to hear form you, fans with comments and 343 staff with comments and news,

Rafter

Im just going to add my two cents to this long list of opinions. Ive talked to a few Halo fans which are also online players and the consensus is that Halo CE, Halo2 and Halo3 were GREAT!!!! The graphics got better, more maps and the storyline continued. However Halo Reach dramatically changed the Halo gameplay. In my opinion the makers tried to make it like COD with all the new medals, the abilitities(jet pack, personal shield, run ability, etc etc). Thats not Halo. To me Halo3 was the pinnacle. It took what was great about Halo CE and Halo 2 and fine tuned it. The online multiplayer feature in Halo Reach was changed too dramatically. If I want kill streaks, weapon attachments, extra abilities etc etc etc then I will play COD. Halo needs to remain Halo. Its not COD and we dont want it to be. I love the story line. So far its been great but dont change the game around. Also bring back the skill level. When playing online I want to play similar skilled players. Just because someone plays a lot doesnt mean they are good. The new ranking system does not incourage you to play ranked games. It encourages you to play Fire Fight in order to accumulate more points so you can rank up. The previous ranking system from 1-50 was just right. Lets bring it back.

Just my humble opinion

Im just going to add my two cents to this long list of opinions. Ive talked to a few Halo fans which are also online players and the consensus is that Halo CE, Halo2 and Halo3 were GREAT!!!! The graphics got better, more maps and the storyline continued. However Halo Reach dramatically changed the Halo gameplay. In my opinion the makers tried to make it like COD with all the new medals, the abilitities(jet pack, personal shield, run ability, etc etc). Thats not Halo. To me Halo3 was the pinnacle. It took what was great about Halo CE and Halo 2 and fine tuned it. The online multiplayer feature in Halo Reach was changed too dramatically. If I want kill streaks, weapon attachments, extra abilities etc etc etc then I will play COD. Halo needs to remain Halo. Its not COD and we dont want it to be. I love the story line. So far its been great but dont change the game around. Also bring back the skill level. When playing online I want to play similar skilled players. Just because someone plays a lot doesnt mean they are good. The new ranking system does not incourage you to play ranked games. It encourages you to play Fire Fight in order to accumulate more points so you can rank up. The previous ranking system from 1-50 was just right. Lets bring it back.

Just my humble opinion

Sorry, but couldn't disagree more,

Although I believe that creating a Halo more similar to COD could match my tastes better, I don't believe that is what should happen.

We need to look at this from the producers perspective. They want, obviously, to sell more and more, and want Halo to be the world's top seller (although they have a long way in front of them). With the previous Halo games, that didn't happen, and we see people who love Halo and people who think it is not a game that could match the others on the market.

In a way, I agree with them, Halo is much different; but it's because it is supposed to be. (now, you think I am saying things against myself, let me explain)

In order to make Halo perfect, it has to be different, so that players don't think it as another fps game and (specially those with lower budgets) don't have to choose between Halo4 and others (definitively, most people would not choose Halo)

But it can't be too different or it becomes boring and more-of-the-same, etc, even able to be considered childish.

Halo as a natural potential based on its storie, but it looks as if the producers tend to miss some things that could make Halo better.

(Meaning: Halo much work around the fact that it is based on the future, but we are still Humans and it has to look realistic)

Moreover, if the games are always the same, why should we by a new one? Just because of the graphics?

Conclusion:

Yes, I would like to be fighting Covenant with ADS and sprint and lots of dust in the air, like COD and Batllefield, but I think Halo4 needs to keep some of its different features (not a violent game, but a funny game). Although it has to evolve, using its true potential.

(If someone wants me to explain better I can do that; I understand if you don't understand well what I said but I am sooo sleppy)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adding to my previous post, this guys have good ideas:

http://www.343industries.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=375

http://www.343industries.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=415&p=3164#p3164

Rafter

Ps: I think 343 should take into consideration our (the fan's) suggestions.

To start out with,thank you Rafter for agreeing with me on the forge ideas.

but i think dust from grenades should stay. No one is going to think that it is anything like COD just because grenades have realistic effects like dust. In-fact i think they should have dirt fly up to to make it even more realistic. (of course these wouldn't have an effect in space) COD didn't invent dust...the big bang did, and i don't hear any negative testimonies from him/her/it.

Although i do agree that 343i's should work more on vehicle transport. If the Chief can fly a pelican in the cinematic scenes then he should be able to fly in game play too.

I don't think we should have space to ground maps but O.D.S.T. pods would be a cool feature for both campaign and forge/custom games.Maybe 343 can make a space map, where its a covenant ship versus a U.N.S.C. frigate and you can travel with pelicans, short swords, banshees, seraphs, etc. kind of like star wars battlefront 2 or something (with forge enabled of course)

but as i said before forge + firefight > Nazis Zombies

reach wasent a complete fail. they perfected forge in reach which was a huge plus for me plus i think why everyone hated it is because the maps sucked and the gameplay slowed down. i personally believe that bungie did this because they though armor abilities would quicken the pace but that didnt work out. plus in reach you dont feel like a spartan anymore. you take fall damage and cant jump as high or run as fast. thats kinda what killed it for me.

reach wasent a complete fail. they perfected forge in reach which was a huge plus for me plus i think why everyone hated it is because the maps sucked and the gameplay slowed down. i personally believe that bungie did this because they though armor abilities would quicken the pace but that didnt work out. plus in reach you dont feel like a spartan anymore. you take fall damage and cant jump as high or run as fast. thats kinda what killed it for me.

In my opinion, I preferred the Halo:Reach multiplayer to Halo 3's as well as the campaign. I found Halo 3 (figuratively) as bad as people found Halo:Reach. Having played Halo CE and Halo 2 for much of my time, I came to like them more than Reach or Halo 3 and so think of them as 'The Originals/Classics'. The addition of Armour Abilities in reach and Equipment in Halo 3 put me off them both really as they seemed to stray from the preferable game-play of Halo's 1&2. I had never really liked the multiplayer of Halo (I started with 3 and went on 2 before it went down) but Halo:Reach was an interesting turn for the better I thought - particularly with the introduction of Credits, an improved ranking system and an all accessible armour display .

But I must say I'd prefer to go to a more Original Halo experience free from AA's (Sprint should be included with near infinite length) and Equipment though they should defiantly build upon the Credits, rank and armoury systems (SPI ARMOUR please). This thread outlines more wants --> http://www.343industries.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=452#p3395 <--

I agree with what most of you are saying in terms of Forge though.

TCO

I would like to see a game with the core aspects very close to Halo 3. No armor abilities, maybe, just maybe Sprint, but make that an option for gametypes to include. Better graphics would be nice, and something very important is we need good maps. All the maps in Reach, we terrible. Halo 3 was great!

They cant really add any new weapons unless they are sentinel beams and other forerunner technology, and it already looks like they have a jet pack or at least that is what the trailer seemed to have. If you want to make the game successful...just make the game, people are going to buy it as long as it has the essentials. Campaign, Multi-player, custom games, FORGE. This forum shouldn't be named "HOW TO MAKE HALO 4 SUCCESSFUL" It should be named How to make halo 4 playable after the 1st month. I am a big fan of halo,but if my friends decide to play modern warfare then it gets boring playing fat kid by yourself. i think firefight and forge should join forces into an awesome combination that would rival that of Nazis zombies...just think about the possibilities. editing spawns for grunts, elites, and maybe the FLOOD if they choose to add it. And keeping the old weapons wouldn't hurt neither.

couldn't be more correct about your friends playing Call of Duty, custom games aren't good if there is no-one to play them

I think that the success of Halo 4 will not just revolve around multiplayer. I think that since Halo 3 custom games were a major benefactor of the game adding humour and imagination to the game. My idea of success to Halo 4 is to perfect custom games, as I think thats a major wild card that no other games had at that time that kept people on Halo

They cant really add any new weapons unless they are sentinel beams and other forerunner technology, and it already looks like they have a jet pack or at least that is what the trailer seemed to have. If you want to make the game successful...just make the game, people are going to buy it as long as it has the essentials. Campaign, Multi-player, custom games, FORGE. This forum shouldn't be named "HOW TO MAKE HALO 4 SUCCESSFUL" It should be named How to make halo 4 playable after the 1st month.

Agree, whathever the game is, most people will buy (I will not, but most will). Though, if the game cames really good, people who didn't like Halo will start liking it; meaning: more sales to 343i

I am a big fan of halo,but if my friends decide to play modern warfare then it gets boring playing fat kid by yourself. i think firefight and forge should join forces into an awesome combination that would rival that of Nazis zombies...just think about the possibilities. editing spawns for grunts, elites, and maybe the FLOOD if they choose to add it. And keeping the old weapons wouldn't hurt neither.

Weapons: i think they should keep the old weapons and ADD more. How come that, from Halo CE, there is only one AR, one sniper, one pistols, etc? I would prefer more variety.

Keep posting,

Rafter