Halo 4 Storyline Theory

drunknmasta323

This theory is based on research done using halo.wikia.com. So the theory is based on fan contributed information and may have some flaws, but hopefully not.

First, the theory is assuming that Didact (http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Didact) is the villain for Halo 4 as his symbol is shown in the most recent E3 2012 trailers.

Didact is a forerunner of the promethean class, which is a Warrior-Servant class. Didact has a hybrid personality because he downloaded his memories and personality into a young forerunner nambed Bornstellar (http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Bornstellar_Makes_Eternal_Lasting). Didact hates humans although Bornstellar has some empathy towards them. Part of the reason for Didact's hate is the Human-Forerunner war which was a human-san 'shyuum (Prophets) alliance vs forerunners (http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Human-Forerunner_war). Humans, back in 110,000BC, had equaled forerunner technology by adapting Precurser technology, which is also where forerunner tech comes from. Precursors were "god-like" beings pre-dating forerunners and humans. a side story that the new trilogy may focus on. Didact most notably fought well in the human-forerunner war and the flood-forerunner. He was against building the Halo Arrays and imprisoned in a Cryptom for his beliefs. Bornstellar was the one who found him and then was downloaded with his memories during their subsequent journeys together. But, back to the theory. If Didact hates humans and was the reason for human technology being wiped out post war (and the de-evolution of the species), then the reappearance of humans near requiem would have to piss him off.

On Didact as a promethean, prometheans were supposedly around 4 meters tall and as a warrior, Didact would be able to crush a human skull with one blow. the promethean AI's shown in the E3 trailers are basically sentinal type of machines. They are supposed to engage and eradicate any foreign beings that get near or on requiem. They are supposed to be blue, but the fact that they are red suggests corruption or guidance by an evil entity, ala Didact. Didact was supposed to have died in the Halo Array release by the forerunners, which wiped out their race of beings. But its alluded that Didact survived somewhere, ala Requiem. So the theory goes that Didact managed to learn of and then hide on Requiem, which shielded him from the effects of the Halo activation. Thousands of years later (prometheans lived for thousands of years, unsure of how time has affected him physically) he sees the re-emergance of humans and covenant. If this rogue covenant faction is being led by a prophet, then that would also add to Didact's mood as he fought against the Syn'Shyuum as well.

My theory is that the sentinals will not be the only enemy on Halo 4. The level shown on the gameplay trailer already tells you how to beat them and seems to be the 2nd level of the game. If all you do is fight covenant and promethean sentinels then the gameplay should be fairly easy. I would theorize that Requiem was the "safe place" Didact told the Librarian (his wife) could go to when the halo arrays were activated. This being said, what was it a safe place for during that time? He had to have told others about it and possibly escaped with other prometheans or even other beings who have been living there for thousands of years. Also, the fact that the previous Halo games hypothesized that humans or Master Chief could be a decendent of forerunners makes for an interesting story arch. If Master Chief is a decendent of forerunners, wouldn't he be a promethean as well? This calls for Didact to try to recruit Master Chief to his side and fight humans and covenant alike and retake the "Mantle" left by the Precursors. Just a theory.

post-25602-0-08469800-1339029346.jpg

I believe TheDidact being the main enemy is wrong, Master chief meets him somewhere after he crashes, TheDidact would of just gunned him down right there, How I got this conclusion? in the gameplay demo trailer Cortana says HE not IT presuming that we meet him before reaching that point.

• Like 1

Events after this, I think we'll definitely be heading over to installation 07, and perhaps Cortana won't "let him"? So it'll be like holding a toy over a kids head while he tries to reach it? Hmm. That's actually an idea. Taunt him with the answer.

Basically;

Master Chief learns about a war that had taken place on the seventh installation, it becomes a harrowing journey as all factions disturb him and Cortana grows rampant. This has an effect on his psyche when viewing the planet behind, leading to figuring out a greater force had shattered the ring.

Didact never really "hated" humans, but he saw them as extremely violent and a major threat to the Mantle. He even held a Warrior's respect for the Humans he fought against as shown when he spoke to the Lord of Admirals before he was killed, so he could later be imprinted on Chakas. And like you said he strongly opposed the creation of the Halo Array and lost. But before he went into self-exile the Didact had several shield worlds constructed (in secret I believe). And this brings me to believe that the Didact is not the enemy. While he certainly had some contempt (although it was lessened after he was imprinted onto Bornstellar) I don't think he can be classified as an "Ancient Evil". I believe the enemy to be a Rampant Metarch-Class Ancilla that the Forerunners locked away and became active again (this is supported by the Aurora Cygnus story). Also something worth noting, at the end of the E3 trailer we see a symbol resembling the Didact's own, but filled in and larger. This COULD be the general symbol for Prometheans as the Ancilla Constructs are known as Promethean Knights, Crawlers, etc. There is also a voice saying "I have waited long for this day, Reclaimer" (something around those lines) and as far as we can tell only Forerunner Ancillas have been known to call Humans, Reclaimers.

Another theory could be that this new threat is the Master Builder in Monitor form. As he truly hated Humanity and sided with MB and the Primordial.

@Abased, I will agree on the fact that Didact found the humans as a threat to the Mantle. but respecting an adversary doesn't mean you "feel" any different about them. and from what I read, he respected their technological advancement during the Human-Forerunner War as being equal, not necessarily the actual humans. Secondly, although your Rampant Ancilla theory is possible, it seems more like that is only part of it. Why would an "Ancient Evil" be an AI? even when they are rampant, they simply are following their programming. They can change their actions based on flawed logic which allows them to follow their programming with actions that go against their original purpose. Technically, nothing the rampant ancilla do is "evil", only bad for a group or species. Being an Ancient Evil means that this adversary is bad for more than just "Reclaimers". Gotta be bad for everybody including covenant, humans, and sentient life itself.

When it comes to the term "Reclaimer" it is not apparent that it means only humans. Although humans are able to arm halo arrays (which is odd since forerunners built them), since there are no forerunners around, logically forerunners would also be able to arm halo arrays. So "Reclaimer" only means someone who is able to activate halos. and "Reclaimer" is a Precursor word which the covenant misinterpreted as Reclamation. So although the most ancient beings or structures we have met in the halo games are the ancillas, there are things that could be around from prior to their existence. also, using the term "Reclaimer" could just mean that the "Ancient Evil" entity would be a being or structure that read the Precursor texts.

I do agree it could be the Master Builder cuz he was a pretty evil forerunner. Either way, I think it is a forerunner who has an ancilla that has gone rampant and is doing his bidding.

@Darkest

I agree that Master Chief must "meet" his adversary shortly after landing and the AI prometheans are not whom she is talking about. But that suggests that it definitely is a living being as the adversary and its supposed to be worse than fighting the flood. Prometheans were warriors who could easily beat humans hand to hand and only the human technology evened the battlefield. I believe it will either be a forerunner (Didact or Master Builder) or possibly something from Precursor timeline that we will learn about as the game goes on.

Sure, sounds plausible. Only problem I have with it is the fact that the Didact seemed to feel sympathy (or rather something more close to respect) for humans. I could accept your version as the storyline though, as the books Halo Cryptum and Halo Primordium left a lot of room to change the plot and characters. For sure there will be a great twist as Greg Bear himself said something along the lines of, "for strategic plot reason Halo Silentium (next book in the series) will be released after Halo 4", so there is no doubt that the book will explain the twist that Halo 4 will undergo.

Personally, I took pre-cursors being a "God-like" creature figuratively and believe they will be the next antagonist. After all the timeless one did state, " Once I die another will come to take my place". I am sure I will probably be proved wrong later when the game actually comes out.

Another twist which I thought that maybe could support your point is that Greg Bear did say for Halo Silentium, " Let's just say that there are two Didacts", but until the next book comes out next January I can only hypothesize what is in store, but with two of them there is more room for an evil one I guess.

(P.S. sorry if I repeated what others have said but I have only read the first and last post)

@hardcore

i haven't read cryptum or primordium although i plan to. i do agree that pre-cursors are probably humanoid creatures or something that can be fought which we will find out throughout the new trilogy. i think they are the centerpiece of the new adventure although I think "The Mantle" will be the most important theme. and I think The Timeless One was speaking of Gravemind as the one to take it's place. but that's a whole other debate and the flood will definitely not be in the campaign of Halo 4 according to 343, so it could be something to come in Halo 5 or 6.

Another thing is that because they showed Didact's symbol, it seems he will be part of the story. Maybe the villain, maybe an ally. My post was about him being the villain, but I would like to hear what people who see him as a benevolent Promethean towards humans could see him playing a role thousands of years later with humans having re-evolved technologically. Would Didact even still be alive or is his personality downloaded into an AI which is in control of the Promethean artificial defenders?

• 4 weeks later...

I believe TheDidact being the main enemy is wrong, Master chief meets him somewhere after he crashes, TheDidact would of just gunned him down right there, How I got this conclusion? in the gameplay demo trailer Cortana says HE not IT presuming that we meet him before reaching that point.

ok, when they say "we know where he is going", that doesnt insist that they already know who it is. If it was a banshee, Cortana could've said the same exact thing, and i'm sure they dont know the pilot personally. also, Its not even the didact! it the Didacts crytum. If the Didact has been in his cryptum, how chief have ever met him before