Has 343 commented on what appears to be the new version of the grunts?

Cows

The new grunts were designed without their usual mask because 343i wanted us to see their evil little mouths with their sharp teeth, as they said in an interview (sorry no link) and the little tube is the mask's replacement doing the same thing.

They wanted to keep the cute, but bring out the ferocious in them, you know? With their evil little mouths... I like them.

I have to agree with you, they look so different yet so brilliant. I personally feel the new look of the Unggoy will benefit the game as they look so much authenticate and professional, it's spectacular art work and a spectacular design.

I still think the rogue covenant are dirt poor and cant afford the fancy and updated stuff that the actual covenant had. Thats why the grunts look so un equipped instead of a atmosphere mask, they get a cheapo hose haha ;). this is why i think the new covenenant seem to be wearing older equipment

I still think the rogue covenant are dirt poor and cant afford the fancy and updated stuff that the actual covenant had. Thats why the grunts look so un equipped instead of a atmosphere mask, they get a cheapo hose haha ;). this is why i think the new covenenant seem to be wearing older equipment

The old Covenant disbanded and this new one is in form of that one. As someone said it is Evolution and things have changed. The Sangheili look different and many other species will look different.

They haven't got cheap equipment, it's just different. Most of the equipment were made by merchants on Sanghelios and also on High Charity.

i dont think he just means the change of their equipment, i think he means their actual physical appearance, like the grunts have always had an exoskeletin, were this one looks more reptilian

Yeah, no doubt. However, we could not see whether they have reptilian features before due to their masks and all of their armour. This version of the Unggoy showcase more of their body as does it with the Sangheili.

They are revealing more of their bodies as far as I can see.