Gameplay enhancing armor mods??

sly-tendencies

In an article on G4, it says that Microsoft and 343 dropped new info on H4. One of those was about "perks", which mentions "a new armor modification system that introduces gameplay-enhancing customization"

I hope this isn't what it sounds like. It sounds like they're saying you can put on armor to give you help.

I agree with everything else 343 is doing, but not this. They're treading on thin ice with the way this is sounding. Halo armor was always for appearance only. Now you mean to tell me (this is just an example) a guy with a Scout helmet could have more bullet resistance than a guy with EOD? Sounds like bull. I really hope they clear this up.

Article: http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/723833/halo-4-multiplayer-details-announced-infinity-multiplayer-spartan-ops-and-more/

I'm betting the armor customizations are going to follow something along the lines of, for example, "Stealth Specialization" and it might make your footsteps quiter, your name less prominent when targeted, and your range to motion tracker detection less...and maybe throw in a few cosmetic elements like the camo cloth (I forget what its called) that Jun had in Reach.

I highly doubt individual pieces of armor, such as helmets will apply changes, though personally, I would actually like that form of modifications since that has never been done before in a major FPS.

• Like 1

I think it will be like for example: you purchase a chest piece, helmet, shoulder etc and it enhances your movement or jump ability . Lets say that standard jump height is 100% and your new chest piece lets you jump 5% more or something like that. Just smaller things like that that could change gameplay a tiny bit. But i think that it will be a good change to Halo.

I think it will be like for example: you purchase a chest piece, helmet, shoulder etc and it enhances your movement or jump ability . Lets say that standard jump height is 100% and your new chest piece lets you jump 5% more or something like that. Just smaller things like that that could change gameplay a tiny bit. But i think that it will be a good change to Halo.

I'm sorry but I can't see how that's a good change to halo? In fact, it is probably the farthest thing from what makes halo, Halo. The best thing about halo is the fairness and equality of game play. Its not halo if players are not identically equipped from the start of a game. I'm officially worried about halo 4 now, custom armor that affects game play is baffleing to me.

I think this potentially could be okay, provided that any improvements which are made have corresponding drawbacks.

Let's say you unlock a piece of shoulder armour which increases your melee damage by 10%. Obviously, on its own this isn't fair as it gives the player a major advantage over someone just starting who doesn't have any advanced armour unlocked.

However, if it increases recoil by 25%, then suddenly it's a lot more interesting. Now you have to worry about what you're doing to yourself: yes, you can hurt players better at close range, but it's going to be a lot harder to use your weapons.

You can do the same thing with other aspects of your armour. A bigger chest piece raises your Shield strength by 10%, but lowers your movement speed by 15% and increases the size of your hitbox, making you more likely to be hit. Leg armour increases your movement speed by 10% but lowers your jump height by 20%. A utility piece raises your weapon damage by 20%, but you can only carry half the ammunition that you usually can. A different utility piece allows you an extra grenade of each type and 10% extra ammunition, but you can only carry one weapon at a time, making you less versatile.

Obviously these are just examples and could be much better balanced, but the important thing is that they don't confer an overall advantage. Every time you get stronger in one area, you get weaker in another. It's kind of like the system used in Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 3, but taken to a slightly greater extreme.

This would balance out customisation a lot more than just blindly rewarding players who've been grinding, as it makes things more tactical. Everything you do becomes a tradeoff, so that by the time you reach the equivalent of Inheritor rank you cant just walk into any battle with more Shields, damage, speed and accuracy than everyone else. You just play to your own strengths more.

I think this potentially could be okay, provided that any improvements which are made have corresponding drawbacks.

Let's say you unlock a piece of shoulder armour which increases your melee damage by 10%. Obviously, on its own this isn't fair as it gives the player a major advantage over someone just starting who doesn't have any advanced armour unlocked.

However, if it increases recoil by 25%, then suddenly it's a lot more interesting. Now you have to worry about what you're doing to yourself: yes, you can hurt players better at close range, but it's going to be a lot harder to use your weapons.

You can do the same thing with other aspects of your armour. A bigger chest piece raises your Shield strength by 10%, but lowers your movement speed by 15% and increases the size of your hitbox, making you more likely to be hit. Leg armour increases your movement speed by 10% but lowers your jump height by 20%. A utility piece raises your weapon damage by 20%, but you can only carry half the ammunition that you usually can. A different utility piece allows you an extra grenade of each type and 10% extra ammunition, but you can only carry one weapon at a time, making you less versatile.

Obviously these are just examples and could be much better balanced, but the important thing is that they don't confer an overall advantage. Every time you get stronger in one area, you get weaker in another. It's kind of like the system used in Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 3, but taken to a slightly greater extreme.

This would balance out customisation a lot more than just blindly rewarding players who've been grinding, as it makes things more tactical. Everything you do becomes a tradeoff, so that by the time you reach the equivalent of Inheritor rank you cant just walk into any battle with more Shields, damage, speed and accuracy than everyone else. You just play to your own strengths more.

Sorry, but I don't agree with any of that. Why would 343 bother to complicate things to that extreme? They need to just leave that where Bungie left it. Don't fix it if it's not broken.

My thoughts exactly. I think that every customization in terms of armor modifications will be equal. I don't think that there will be some overpowered chestpiece or helmet that can be unlocked at the end. I think that it will just be little upgrades that make some functions 5% or so more efficient. I don't think that any of these things will be very noticeable while playing. But more internal structures in how your spartan acts on the battlefield. Maybe things such as 5% more speed with a light chest piece.

This can also be something along the lines of a get some lose some situation. So for example the previous chest piece which is light and gives your spartan a 5% increase in speed will have a 3% decrease in shields. Due to the fact that the chest piece is lest resistant to bullet penetration. However I do not see this likely due to the fact that all shield systems will probably work the same and will not be effected by armor upgrades. I just wanted to give all options of what they could be doing with this.

It sounds like we are talking about a COD game not halo. Please don't go overboard with customizing 343, please!

I wouldn't worry so much. I am sure that they have everything under control. 343i respects the game of Halo that bungie left behind. While they are trying to make people excited to purchase a game (being a business and all), I am sure that they are going to keep people happy so that they will come back for more. Because as a business if you upset a group of people such as some people on this forum ( I shall say no names) who think that they are the halo fan that should be respected more than others.

I can guarantee you that 343i is being very careful with the slightest adjustments, and that they are having a wide speculation of different forms of halo fans agree with their ideas.

So I ask that you trust them. No need to worry.

Sorry, but I don't agree with any of that. Why would 343 bother to complicate things to that extreme? They need to just leave that where Bungie left it. Don't fix it if it's not broken.

I'm just running with the idea in the article. If there has to be a system where customising armour actually affects your combat abilities - as is suggested here - wouldn't you prefer it to be something like this rather than just blindly getting one advantage after another as you rank up?

All that would do is turn newer players off the game, and make rank more important in who wins than skill. There needs to be a disadvantage - which ideally marginally outweighs the advantage - for every upgrade you make to your Spartan, to keep things balanced and fair. Besides, starting everyone off with the same equipment isn't necessarily fair anyway. If you're rubbish with the Assault Rifle and you start with it, then you might lose a game badly against someone who you would clearly win against if you'd had access to the DMR from the start. Everyone has their own strengths and weaknesses as a player, and provided things are properly balanced then letting everyone start off with the equipment which best fits them actually makes the game more competitive than forcing everyone to start the same way.

This can also be something along the lines of a get some lose some situation. So for example the previous chest piece which is light and gives your spartan a 5% increase in speed will have a 3% decrease in shields. Due to the fact that the chest piece is lest resistant to bullet penetration.

Also dude, you're totally ripping off my idea!

I'm just running with the idea in the article. If there has to be a system where customising armour actually affects your combat abilities - as is suggested here - wouldn't you prefer it to be something like this rather than just blindly getting one advantage after another as you rank up?

All that would do is turn newer players off the game, and make rank more important in who wins than skill. There needs to be a disadvantage - which ideally marginally outweighs the advantage - for every upgrade you make to your Spartan, to keep things balanced and fair. Besides, starting everyone off with the same equipment isn't necessarily fair anyway. If you're rubbish with the Assault Rifle and you start with it, then you might lose a game badly against someone who you would clearly win against if you'd had access to the DMR from the start. Everyone has their own strengths and weaknesses as a player, and provided things are properly balanced then letting everyone start off with the equipment which best fits them actually makes the game more competitive than forcing everyone to start the same way.

Also dude, you're totally ripping off my idea!

Your idea? Lol, that's funny!

I don't think it's armour related. Everybody can still make their favorite armour combination without haven ****ty bonusses you don't want to have and have a perk to choose from