How to Clean and Maintain your Xbox 360 Game Discs.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if this also applies to PS4 disks or not ? :)

Not sure. Xbox One, PS4 and PS3 all use a different type of disc compared to the Xbox 360, being Blu-Ray rather than DVD. Blu Ray holds more data, so basically the little bumps within it that is read are a lot smaller than that of a DVD. With that in mind, I don't know and I wouldn't try the toothpaste, but I think using a cloth to give it a wipe is perfectly fine.

So what, exactly, is the science behind using the toothpaste?

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure. Xbox One, PS4 and PS3 all use a different type of disc compared to the Xbox 360, being Blu-Ray rather than DVD. Blu Ray holds more data, so basically the little bumps within it that is read are a lot smaller than that of a DVD. With that in mind, I don't know and I wouldn't try the toothpaste, but I think using a cloth to give it a wipe is perfectly fine.

So what, exactly, is the science behind using the toothpaste?

Bear in mind, when this was made the X-Box One and PS4 hadn't even been announced (and weren't even in development) and not very many people on the site owned PS3's or Wii's (mainly because this site caters mainly to Halo, which is PC, X-Box, and X-Box 360 exclusive, and seriously, who uses discs for PC games anymore).

Also, the toothpaste acts as a "poor man's disc buff". Here, have a link that will explain more than I care to type: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/geeks-weigh-in-can-you-fix-a-scratched-cd-with-toothpaste-nb/

Edited by The Director
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

This is great!! My COD Ghosts disk is scratched, and I was going to buy a new one, but I'll try this and see if it works.

P.S. A friend of mine said that toothpaste doesn't work, do you know why?

Probably because he either tried it on a disc that was beyond repair, or he heard a rumor that it doesn't work. It does, however, work. I have done it myself on Halo: Reach and Halo 2. Neither disc would play, and I had tried cleaning them to no avail. Then I used the toothpaste trick and it worked. It fills in some of the scratches (in much the same way a buffer does) so if the disc isn't beyond repair, it will make the disc readable again.

So why can't you use whitening toothpaste? Would something happen?

There are two types of whitening toothpaste. One that uses a chemical (an acidic one specifically) and one that uses abrasion (i.e. little hard chunks in the toothpaste). The one that uses the chemical can cause a negative effect on the structural integrity of the disc, and the one that uses abrasion can cause even more scratches to happen.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Should it get the scratches of the disc?

Not really. All it does is fill them in enough that your disc tray can 'skip over' the damaged part of the disc without reading said damaged part of the disc.

It's sort of like using Spackle on a chunk of drywall that's been dented.

• 1 year later...

A tube of regular toothpaste is not right, here is a page that tells how to fix scratched DVD, maybe it is also useful for Xbox 360Game Discs http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/tips/how-to-fix-a-scratched-dvd.html  such as Using a microfiber cloth, rub the alcohol solution onto the DVD. Do not wipe in circles. polish the scratched DVD with vaseline, Windex, peanut oil or baking soda toothpaste to smooth the surface.Open a lamp with a 60 watt bulb, and hold DVD about 4 inches in front of lamp for about 20 seconds or it will damage data surface of discs.    Cheers

• 4 years later...