What Halo 4 needs for re-dominance

RuGraTzz

Okay so, this might have been mentioned before, but basically, if Halo 4 has

these things than we (the Halo Community) can call it a true successor to Halo 3. Plus it would

allow Halo to reclaim its pedestal as the most popular and best game of the times. And I truly believe I am talking on behalf of the majority of the Halo fans here. So, to bring Halo back into its glory days when it was THE game everyone played (2005-2009 ish), including these things are a must:

1. Great Maps (The Pit, Lockout, Blood Gulch, Guardian, Sanctuary, Midship, etc look to these for inspiration 343)

2. Ranked playlists vs. Social playlists (from 1 to 50, and make it so that you don't get "rank stuck", plus this is what seperates Halo from other online multiplayer games such as COD in which you have to earn exp to rank up)

3. Great Storymode (make it as epic as Halo 1, 2, 3 which were all worth replaying even now)

4. Classic weapons (BR, No bloom, hitscan such as Halo 2's where you don't have to lead your shots, also include carbine, bring back the Beam Rifle, and dual wielding). Go ahead and including new weapons but please don't make something really tragic such as Focus Rifle. A good example of a great new weapon was the Grenade Launcher, which takes a good deal of skill.

5. Vehicles- in Halo Reach if you didn't notice the vehicles themselves have a certain health, whereas in Halo 2 and 3 YOUR shields represented how much you could take (although after a while if your vehicle is worn it will deplete faster) Also bring back the unlimited shooting for the hog, unlimited gliding for the ghost and banshee, might not seem like a big deal but to some it is.

6. Sword- alright so many people I have heard over the years have mixed opinions on how the sword should work. There are generally 2 sides: Some people think the Halo 2 sword was OP with the unlimited ammo and lunge and think the Halo 3 version was better, and SOME people (including myself) think that the Halo 2 sword was fun to use and made it a worthwhile power weapon. However mostly everyone agrees the Reach version sucks (mainly because you can deflect it). So 343, choose either the Halo 3 version or Halo 2, either one might be favorable.

7. Armor Abilites- PLEASE DO NOT INCLUDE ANY AAs in HALO 4 including SPRINT!!! I have talked to many people over the last 1.5 years of Reach and 99% of people say this was the SINGLE BIGGEST FLAW EVER CREATED IN A HALO GAME!! Jetpack-Halo is not meant to be airborne, you want to be airborne get a banshee or something!! Armor Lock- Breeds intolerable behavior such as in Elite Slayer when people go up to you, stick you, than armor lock, plus the AA itself is sooo annoying. Camo- should always remain as a powerup as it was in all the Halos, not a loadout, plus its annoying as hell when your radar is constantly scrambled!! Hologram- a simply retarded and annoying AA that breeds noobish behavior. Evade/Sprint: Okay so some people say that these are the good editions of AAs, however MOST people agree that Sprint makes Halo too much like COD and deviates away from tradition.

8. Jumping/Fall Damage/Movement- please make Halo 4's Master Chief as epic as Halo 2 and 3s where he can jump about 7 feet high and take no fall damage (unless you fall off a cliff, where of course you will die). The movement speed of the Spartan in Reach was way too slow, and Halo 2 and 3's MC could walk fast, this allowed for faster strafing in intense matches and faster gameplay.

9. Classic playlists- (don't forget TS, Doubles, Snipers, Objective, SWAT, MLG, BTB-include these seperate from social playlists)

10. Classic Gameplay- Now I have been hearing that in Halo 4, 343 is talking about possibly having weapons dropped to players in drop pods (such as in Firefight). Now, mostly everyone I know playing Halo would agree that this simply takes away from all the core that is Halo. Halo is meant for players to go after different weapons and control areas of the map with them for as long as possible. This is one of the biggest things that separates Halo from other shooters such as COD, in which you start out with your sniper, shotty, etc. In Halo, weapons were ALWAYS placed strategically on the map, and players would go after them.

If I have left out anything significant, please do let me know, but I think I covered pretty much everything. Think about all those great LAN parties you used to have with your friends, and the great moments they created. Think about those great moments on XBL with your friends. If 343 shapes up, than those glorious years can continue. PLEASE HALO FANS, WE AS THE LONG RUNNING COMMUNITY OF THIS GREAT GAME CANNOT LET IT WITHER AWAY AT THE HANDS OF SOME BAD DECISIONS, IT IS OUR DUTY TO INFLUENCE THE DEVELOPERS. HELP SPREAD THE WORD AND INFLUENCE THEM. AND DON'T THINK FOR ONE SECOND THAT YOUR OPINION DOESN'T COUNT. HALO WAS, AND ALWAYS WILL BE BUILT ON THE VOICE OF THE COMMUNITY!!!

• Like 1

I agree with some things. But you need to take in information first. Some of these things have been confirmed such as AAs. Also don't assume that everyone (99%) of people agree with your opinion. I myself supported the idea of armor abilities in most cases.

I suggest you refresh using some of the updates and threads in this Halo 4 forum and then edit your post accordingly.

• Like 1

Some things you have listed here have already been confirmed in the game. I will use the example, you said no sprint or AA's. Well, you got your wish, only that sprint is no longer an armor ability; but rather a permanent built in system. I suggest, like Doc said, to read threads on this forum and edit your post accordingly :)

• Like 1

Yes some of these things have already been confirmed. my opinion is that there is going to be change to this game and we are going to have to accept it, otherwise there would be no point to a new game and everyone would still be playing Halo 3. Im just going to wait until it comes out and see what it has to offer. No matter what Im going to accept the game for however it turns out.

I agree mostly with 1-5.

6 -I've never done well with the sword, but I don't like the deflecting of the sword(unless its against another sword..

7 -I think most of the AA's were a pretty smart inclusion, I am glad 343 isn't bringing in ArmorLock(Dunno how Bungie left that past testing sadly...). It makes sense to me with the fiction of super soldiers in the 2552-like future would have those types of abilities(that are currently in Reach), and gameplay-wise I like them -except Jetpack which I cannot use with BumperJumper.(I like Jetpack, but BJ makes it very hard..) You mention later that the movement allowed for faster gameplay, well that's exactly what default Sprint is doing now..And the gameplay does need to change, or be somewhat updated with new games that are being released and people playing them as well. I do miss the old gameplay style, but I think this change is for the better. Plus Halo 3's multiplayer is terrible with my Moderate NAT and slow internet. Reach improves on that a bit..(And I really hope Halo 4 will also!)

9 - Why wouldn't 343 include some of the most played, well known, and basic game types of Halo??

10 - It's really hard to know if this is a good decision or not at the moment, so let's reserve judgment. I think at least some of this will be good because it helps prevent Power Weapon horing, and it looks like it will help diversify firefights and engagements other than spawn points..

So at the moment, it looks like 343 is doing a great job with the direction of where they want Halo to go now.. I have faith that they will not destroy Halo. ;)

None of us are really going to know what to think of this until we see a lot more gameplay -or even play the game. So I really hope Halo 4 is playable at PAX Prime this year!!

And Spartan Ops is sounding fantastic.. Just kind of weary of the name..

Halo 4: Foreword Unto Dawn seems epic.

I just want no spoilers on the John and Cortana Campaign side of Halo 4(or even Spartan Ops and FUD) until it's released!!

I am looking forward to some explanation of John's MJOLNIR MK VII armor changes -and if he does have the jet pack, those small things should be somewhat explained -yes I know, different art direction, but they have hinted at actual practical uses for the armor change and such..

Also, even if Halo 4 isn't 60 FPS(30 is fine with me), I just want it to play and flow like Halo 3! Not sure what Bungie did with Reach but the campaign and Firefight just seem a bit slow or laggy -and I'm not talking about on Live. Not sure if it's the filters, or particles, but especially during the campaign, it just seems slow(loss of frames or slow with controller data transference to gameplay or something...)

But I am looking forward to Halo 4 very greatly!!

First off Rug welcome to the forums. While I do sense and.see your frustration about Halo 4 and what will become of it, please do not over reach and say you speak for the community. Obviously your interaction and opinion gathering is either going to be one sided or limited to the amount of personal contacts you establish thru websites.

All of that funny stuff aside,.Halo will be successful regardless. Halo 4 cannot resume or pick up where the state of core gameplay left off. We are seeing a new breed of gamer and as well, a new evolution in FPS's in general. To stifle the innovation and throw Halo back a.decade mechanic wise does not make fiscal or progressive sense. Halo NEEDS to adapt to the changing culture in which it spawned, not run like a sad puppy with its tail between its legs.

As it was already stated, certain numbers of things are already confirmed. It is far too early to jump the gun and state it will fail, or make.assumptions about its future based on the limited and very skewed information that has been released via third party media.

Halo 4 will not be in any way shape or.form anything lime Halo 2 or Halo 3. Regardless of how many times it is.said that it is returning to its roots, you must also remember that, that single statement itself is a perspective based one. What 343 considers "root", may not be what others consider it. Halo is a game, and as such spawns a.different perspective and take on what is "core". Please be a little more opened minded and please do try to get more information correct in the future when.trying to push or display things that may be fact or.opinion. Once again, enjoy your stay here!

• Like 1

I agree with most things here, but you take it too much in a "err, everything was better before, please remake Halo2/3" kind of way. That's not going anywhere.

Also "pretty much all players hate every armor ability" is bad arguing.

I liked sprint, armor lock, and jet pack.

with halo the simplier the game the better...thats the only way to push the skill gap between player to where it should be. honestly modern day mlg reach isnt that terrible (other than penance being a map but ill live with it).

and yes get rid of the jetpack it ruins the set ups and spawn traps...if you and your team are good enough to set up and spawn kill, and the other team isnt good enough to break it, then they deserve to die (and deal with it)

First off Rug welcome to the forums. While I do sense and.see your frustration about Halo 4 and what will become of it, please do not over reach and say you speak for the community. Obviously your interaction and opinion gathering is either going to be one sided or limited to the amount of personal contacts you establish thru websites.

All of that funny stuff aside,.Halo will be successful regardless. Halo 4 cannot resume or pick up where the state of core gameplay left off. We are seeing a new breed of gamer and as well, a new evolution in FPS's in general. To stifle the innovation and throw Halo back a.decade mechanic wise does not make fiscal or progressive sense. Halo NEEDS to adapt to the changing culture in which it spawned, not run like a sad puppy with its tail between its legs.

As it was already stated, certain numbers of things are already confirmed. It is far too early to jump the gun and state it will fail, or make.assumptions about its future based on the limited and very skewed information that has been released via third party media.

Halo 4 will not be in any way shape or.form anything lime Halo 2 or Halo 3. Regardless of how many times it is.said that it is returning to its roots, you must also remember that, that single statement itself is a perspective based one. What 343 considers "root", may not be what others consider it. Halo is a game, and as such spawns a.different perspective and take on what is "core". Please be a little more opened minded and please do try to get more information correct in the future when.trying to push or display things that may be fact or.opinion. Once again, enjoy your stay here!

sadly the evolution of gamers and fps is immature kids playing nothing but customs because its cool and fun and every company tryin to shove a new game out every year to make as much money as possible...bungie made their money making damn good games that didnt need to be redone every year (like cod) and focusing on the faithful player would played the mm and took the game seriously.

I don't think Halo simply going back to simply what made it good in the past would allow it to reassert its dominance. Basic truth is 343 could make an excellent Halo game by completely going back to halos past, with graphical updates of course...but its not going to succeed financially beacuse unlike CoD, there is not a huge enough fan base for that kind of game right now.

I don't believe Halo has to be dumbed down and I think you can make a good game with gamers tastes being what they are currently...but its a minefield and no mistake. Nontheless, in order to try to be successfull 343 has to push forwards rather than looking backwards.

• Like 2

What we also need are AI's that can actually drive a car without getting you killed in 10 seconds.

Joplin, huh? I'm from Springfield. I hope that tornado didn't affect ya too badly.

Anyway. I completely agree with the OP on this one. That was their bread and butter. I'll never understand why the stepped away from that. They didn't need to change the game. They needed to update it. Give it better graphics, create new maps, and toss in some extra weapons (grenade launcher). Not change the gameplay.

The game played amazing. Who cares about all the bells and whistles? Well people do. They need more and more because they're spoiled and unhappy. It's a game and it doesn't need to meet people's every needs. They put out a game and said, "Here, this is Halo. Like it?" While a lot of people love it, other people want it to change. I say, find a new game.

And I think it safe to say that we're all here because we love the gameplay. Why wouldn't you be upset when they change it? Who do you think they're changing it for? Not you, the fan.

(That's not a shot at anyone here)