Recon

Salvanous

Okay, I am going to warn everyone right now that I am a new member here so I don't know what I am really doing, and secondly that I am going to very likely sound like a pathetic Halo player for this being one of the bigger questions on my mind: Will we see the Recon helmet be with us in Halo 4? I will explain why this is my concern

I started playing Halo 2 at a friend's land party and well it was my first experience playing first person shooter, though not my first time watching the game and I ended up dying over 300 times and killed 2 people total that entire day.... I didn't pick up Halo again until Halo 3 with the burning urge to never again be beat that badly at a game again. I got the game the first day it came out and I became good at Halo 3, not great, but I finally got my hook on becoming a good player. At that point I went back and I played through Halo 1 and Halo 2 and really immersed myself in the series. I spent the next year reading the books and when ODST I played that with a passion as well.

When I found out about Recon for the public to wear in Halo 3, but it was only for the elite players, I knew I wasn't the best player, and I didn't have a chance, but I wanted to do it anyways, I wanted to get better at the game and I figured with my friends help I could get Recon. Well my friends who were incredible at the game always blew me off and always said "I'll help you with a Vidmaster tomorrow..." to the point that I knew I would have to do it by myself.

With the help of walkthroughs on Youtube, and slowly, but surely becoming better at the game I got Vidmaster after Vidmaster, to the point that the only ones remaining where those that required a group. I would have ended there but I was determined to get through these trials. I went on to Bungie, Random Communities, and Youtube comments searching for people who wanted to also accomplish what I was trying to and with time I finished these final Vidmasters through static microphoned players and people who couldn't even communicate in the same language I finally got my Recon.

I wore my Recon helmet proudly after that because it was a symbolic to me in saying "I have really become a fully fledged Halo player" I was proud that I could now hold my own, and even beat those friends of mine who had once shamed me with a 1/150 K/D. And today, I play Reach and always wear my Recon, and while it doesn't have the same effect because it was from a preorder, it brings me back to Halo 3, when it was really something that made me proud of what I had accomplished. Today, I am part of a gaming community I run and I sometimes run those Vidmasters with some of our members who have yet to get them because it takes me back and I enjoy it immensely.

I don't know what Halo 4 has in mind for armor customization. I have heard some things but nothing that can be confirmed. I do truly hope, if not plead to 343 studios that they bring back the Recon helmet. I know Halo Reach saw some helmets dropped, not many but some, and while I don't think it would happen with Recon as it is a rather widely used helmet I still don't want to see that happen and if me writing up the question to see it pushed into the next game I want to see that happen. Halo has been the game that I have always returned to and Recon has been my red badge of courage for me in that it has reminded me and keeps showing me that I passed through that stage of being a complete retard at the game, and passed through the doors of being a competent player, and since then I have found people who haven't been great at the game and tried to do my best to really get them involved with the series and become a bit more like me.

Recon has meant a lot to me, and I guess I just hope that 343 continues to make the helmet that has meant so much to me continue on into the new game. So to those of you out there who know how to talk to 343 studio members, or know about where recon stands for Halo 4, or are members of those working on making Halo 4, I humbly ask you to remember the Helmet that has meant a lot to this avid fan of the series.

I sure hope 343 not only keeps it alive in halo 4; but makes it an honor to have again.

In halo 3, Bungie did exactly that. They made it very challenging to get, so only the select few elite players had it. I play halo 3, and look up to the players wearing recon with envy. He was good enough to get past those challenges. Everyone was always jealous of the ones with recon. But, despite bungie's efforts to keep that helmet and armor sacred, 343 unlocked it for everybody. This sort of made my upset, not for myself, but for other players that had spent hours, maybe even days, getting that beloved piece of armor. All that play time, useless, due to it all being given out for free. Now, I never got recon, I never tried, but if I did and spent that amount of time on it, I would be somewhat close to furious.

Nevertheless, now we get to reach. Here, bungie, seeing the community's love for this helmet, made it one of the easiest things in the game to get. The pride in halo 3 was gone. Now, you look up to a player with recon in reach, and you just realize... Oh. He just reached the rank of colonel, and spent the low 100 000 credits to buy it, or just got one of the tens of thousands of recon free codes. Yipee. I think I can safely say, that reach ruined the recon experience for everyone. However, I must say they kind of made up for it, by making the CQB helmet the one that everyone envied. This one, I did decide to get. Although it is not the glorious halo 3 recon, it will have to be the next best thing.

So, please 343, for the sake of our pride in the game and armor, make recon somewhat sacred and godly to have again. Be sure to make everyone that wants it work for it, so that it has a truthful meaning again. This is all that I ask. For the sake of recon. :)

-Bullet

So...are you mad that Recon is for everyone now? It makes me mad and I didn't even get the helmet.

I'm sure 343 will keep it alive :)

No, I am not mad that Recon in Reach is so easily obtainable, first off to get Colonel, you need to have spent a good amount of time playing the game, in which case I don't mind them having the standard recon, and the helmet that you got from preorder, I don't mind that either because it meant that you cared enough for Halo to be there from the start. In fact I like that they made one recon for preorder, but made another for those unfortunate enough not to be able to get it.

I don't mind if everyone has recon, I am not that person who get's mad that I am not special because I don't feel special. No the recon helmet to me was my reward from the Halo series in me becoming a true Halo fan, and the game telling me that I was had reached a skill that I was looking for. Like I said in my previous post, I am part of Forerunner Conflict, a gaming community, and some of the people who don't have the vidmasters done in Halo 3 I tell them if they ever need help I am more than happy to help them with the Vidmasters, even if they may not be good enough to get them on their own, because I remember how hard it was getting people to help me. Since I got Recon, I have helped 3 people with every Vidmaster I could with them, and I have helped get friends Recon who I know would not have gotten it without help. The feeling I get from my recon may be different from theirs, but I cherish that memory and the feeling I get when wearing my recon.

The armor to me has a more symbolic nature to it, in that it made me realize that even without high skill people to carry me through a game or a challenge, I could still rise to the occasion. I am still improving in Halo as time passes on, but to put it in a very bad way Recon to me was kind of like the passage of being a man or a woman, it is a turning point in the ascension from an average player, to being a skilled player.

I know that some people got mad that they made recon for people who did all the vidmasters instead of pleasing Bungie, and I am not one of those people, and I know people where mad about Recon being so easy to get in Reach, and I wasn't one of those people. In all reality, I hope that 343 comes out with a new helmet/set of armor that you unlock through doing a new series of vidmasters, and that will be a cool new helmet that everyone wants. With that said though, even if there is a new "awesome cool helmet" I will be sticking with my Recon, because it is important to me, and I know it was first in my hands when I stepped up to the plate.

So bring your GRD helmet, or whatever helmet you may have 343, I encourage you to make the players work for a helmet like that and really want to get it, but please don't forget Recon, because even if it is the cheapest helmet and easily accessible now, I still remember each Vidmaster, as well as the random friends I made while doing the vidmasters, and the Recon has been a sweet reward for it.

And Bulletstorm, to your last comment, I don't think you are looking at the issue the right way in my book. The armor shouldn't make you look good, it should make you feel good. I know that when I play Reach, Halo 3, or ODST I want to wear my Recon, because it is the helmet that I connect with from the emotions I had getting it. I still have those emotions in Halo Reach even though it was a preorder, and I will still have those feelings for Halo 4 if they are so kind and considerate enough to hear my words as well as the rest of the Recon wearers. I don't need them to make Recon special again, because it is still special to me. The armor I wear isn't worn because it's high rank , but because of the memories attached to the armor. I hope you understand what I mean. :)

You have a very interesting point, and back story I may point out :) but I would really enjoy if 343 brought back recon, it really meant something back when halo 3 was popular, and in reach there really isn't an equivalent to it. The haunted pilot helmet in reach is about as close as it gets to anything near recon, but all haunted does is reward the player for quantity of games played, not quality of play, so if they brought back recon it would make myself really happy to see it back in action

Now you see, to me Recon still means something emotionally to me, you are talking about making it mean something to the community. Frankly, I am not saying that we need to make Recon something important to the community. I would encourage 343 to make a new helmet for Halo 4 that would have the awe you got from Recon in Halo 3, not Recon again per say. In my opinion, Reach did fail with the haunted helmet, mainly because the amount of time that it took to get it didn't take a showing of skill, but simply playing a mountain of Reach, and the demand for the helmet was so low for the amount of time you needed to dedicate to getting it.

I don't mean that if 343 gives us a new helmet that they need to make it only possible to get for the hardcore fans, but lets take helmet variations here for a second. What if by doing a certain challenge you unlocked a specific attachment for that armor? You could maybe still get the helmet plain without the achievement, but that one aesthetic addition you needed get through a challenge given. I would prefer a specific helmet or armor for your reward, but this idea may also cater to the more average audience while still through the more elite players a bone.

Like I said, I want Recon to be in Halo 4 because it has a connection with me, and I feel almost awkward now playing without my precious recon helmet. I am not here to try to make those people who aren't Recon fans like recon, or make them think that Recon is this "awesome super elite mega helmet" I am here speaking for myself, and hopefully with the voice of those of us who do still hold a passion for the helmet and want to see that passion live on through the rest of the Halo games.

you should write a book ( you write so much in each comment)

the RECON for you is like the EVA for me ( not as hard to get though)

Lol, my applogies, though I do actually write some Halo fiction. Right now I am working on some for Forerunner Conflict and it should be out this summer so if you want to read it come on over, the more the merrier really. :)

And yeah, I will actually expand this to topic to all armors. I really hope they bring back all the old armors of the game (except for Haybusa as I understand that was from Ninja Gaiden and probably would be hard to get that to work out again. ) But in all reality, think about it, I bet everyone that plays Halo now has one or two pieces of armor they really love, and I know I had friends in Halo 3 that loved the Rouge helmet and when that wasn't brought into Halo Reach, they were really sad by that. They found new helmets, but I know they didn't like them as much.

And now stop me if I am wrong here, but I think that making those armor pieces while not vital to gameplay allows people to feel a sense of pleasure in knowing that their spartans can maintain somewhat the same appearance in future games. I can't claim to know how much it costs to make these armors in the game, but why not bring back all the old armors for everyone to enjoy? What it does is it caters to your veteran members and letting them feel something from the old Halo games is back, but with 343's art spin on it. It welcomes back old members without hurting newer members who aren't familiar with the games yet.

Let's all think about it this way. Think about that armor you have in Halo 3, or Halo Reach that you REALLY love. And let's say you won't be able to have that armor anymore in Halo 4-6, I bet you would really think that kind of sucks, and yeah I think we would all still love the game, but it's just a bitter taste to see something you have loved so much leave the series,

I feel safe in saying that Recon will stay in the game as it was always said to have been an experimental helmet in Halo 3 and Reach, so even if it isn't an experimental helmet in 4-6, I bet it may now be in practical use. However I still want to voice my concern that the armors that we love be brought into the new game.

• 1 month later...