Custom game matchmaking

Stubbledorange

I just wanted to put this idea out there, i know many have probably had this idea as well.

How it would work: you go into the lobby, just like any other MM game type lobby, but before you press start matchmaking, a message comes up and asks "Would you like to host a custom game?", if you select yes, you will be more likely to be the leader of the group and be able to pick the game type and map, just like a private custom game. Another way people may be able to do this is make a server browser of the games that are public to anybody and be able to join random people's games. In the options of your custom game would be the choice to make the game: Private, Open to friends, Open, or Open to matchmaking, in which the latter would open up your game type to ANYBODY looking in the server browser for custom games.

The reason I came up with this idea was because some people don't have friends that always want to join a custom game when they would rather do a normal matchmaking slayer game type instead.

Just my idea, if you feel you have improvements or concerns, please post them, i'm really hoping 343 will look at this for Halo 4, (might be a little late) or any of the next halo games.

• Like 1

I just wanted to put this idea out there, i know many have probably had this idea as well.

How it would work: you go into the lobby, just like any other MM game type lobby, but before you press start matchmaking, a message comes up and asks "Would you like to host a custom game?", if you select yes, you will be more likely to be the leader of the group and be able to pick the game type and map, just like a private custom game. Another way people may be able to do this is make a server browser of the games that are public to anybody and be able to join random people's games. In the options of your custom game would be the choice to make the game: Private, Open to friends, Open, or Open to matchmaking, in which the latter would open up your game type to ANYBODY looking in the server browser for custom games.

The reason I came up with this idea was because some people don't have friends that always want to join a custom game when they would rather do a normal matchmaking slayer game type instead.

Just my idea, if you feel you have improvements or concerns, please post them, i'm really hoping 343 will look at this for Halo 4, (might be a little late) or any of the next halo games.

You're right lol this idea has been floating around several forums for quite a while. I really hope 343i will take this into consideration someday. The idea I had for it was a custom game lobby for Reach, but that's a moot point these days. However, if they did do this then they would have to make it unranked and non-profitable. Otherwise there would be people who would create custom games that allow them to boost by spawn killing or having superior weaponry (like you see in certain custom infection games).

If this happened, it could run on something kind of like Halo: CE's Multiplayer. There is a list of matches, created by players, using their own custom Gametype. I doubt 343i would actually do that at this point, considering the game will be out November 6th. We can hope for Halo 5, though :)

that's mostly what i was thinking, it would definitely need to be unranked, and @ Mr. Dino, i was thinking that too, but i would be happy with it in halo 5. as long as it comes someday. but i would imagine they could put it in a DLC or patch though if not released with the game at first.

Much like rent-A-Server was with Battlefield 3.

It'd be better if instead of a matchmaking system, a custom games finder. You can create a game and it will populate a list of all the open custom games being played. You can filter results by selecting gametypes, maps, connection strength, number of people in the lobby, and see if the match is in progress. A matchmaking system is too random and can take too long to find a good custom game.

This idea has been permeating around since before Halo 3 was released, and I have supported it's implementation all the way, but the odds of it making it into H4 are minuscule at best despite 343i having ample time to include it. Main reason is probably the same as the reason Bungie gave as to why it was not included in Reach: "It would take too much time to create a whole new MM experience for custom games as there are too many variables to choose from the custom game settings, and we would like to spend that extra time making the Reach experience fully polished rather than 75% done with an extra search option tacked on".

Can't remember who said that but it was included in a weekly update back in the day I think.