Something kind of cool

The Director

Here's a picture of what scientists believe our galaxy looks like, based on quite a bit of information gathered from probes and pictures.

Milkywaygalaxy.jpg

Take a good look at the center. It's so bright that no one really knows what's at the center. It could be a huge cluster of stars. But, here's a picture of Centaurus A, a different galaxy.

CentaurusA-Blackhole.jpg

Look closely at the center. Pretty bright right? Kind of like ours. The twist is what's in the center of Centaurus A is a giant black hole. While we cannot yet know for sure what is at the center of our galaxy, some astrologists are led to believe that it's also a giant black hole. This may be a scary thought, but not to worry. It will be billions, if not trillions of years before we are effected by it if there is a black hole, maybe even more than trillions. Before that time, our galaxy should actually collide with the Andromeda galaxy. But before that happens, the sun will bake the Earth to a crisp. Again, not to worry, all of this is billions of years off. Still though, it SHOULD encourage space exploration. As a just in case.

Wanna know something else that's pretty cool? Our planet has captured a mini-moon in it's orbit. :D It's very small (compared to other celestial bodies) and I'm not sure if you can actually see it with the naked eye at night, but it's there. It's simulated trajectory has it wandering around our planet for a while, then taking off to go explore the rest of the solar system.

Thoughts? Comments?

• Like 2

I'm not sure, but I think at the center of our galaxy is a series of binary, triplet and quadruplet stars locked in a seemingly endless ballet, all spinning and twirling about one another, pulling streams of burning gas from one another as they pass each other at the closest points in their individual orbital paths. One day, they may collide, merging and becoming too massive to retain shape as even one colossal star. Then, maybe, it'll be supermassive black hole time.

I just wonder how much tickets will cost to see the show.

I'm not sure, but I think at the center of our galaxy is a series of binary, triplet and quadruplet stars locked in a seemingly endless ballet, all spinning and twirling about one another, pulling streams of burning gas from one another as they pass each other at the closest points in their individual orbital paths. One day, they may collide, merging and becoming too massive to retain shape as even one colossal star. Then, maybe, it'll be supermassive black hole time.

I just wonder how much tickets will cost to see the show.

That's one theory, but another theory is that those stars are held in orbit around a black hole that has yet to become super-massive. :D Either way, it will be an amazing show.

These are all great theories, I just cannot believe on what a really really thin line humanity is walking on. It is a miracle that we even exist and are just living there, in nothingness. Compare us to anything in space, we are nothing, what are we? Just a little speck, not even noticeable, living on a small planet that in time will be destroyed. Just mind blowing stuff to think about. :o

-MaGIIXz

Cool, and i encourage space exploration. Human kind is currently being stupid with wars, greed, dis-respect. So it will take ages for it to happen.

That's what happens years before halo (you might now if you've seen halo legends) because we've been so greedy and had loads of war, earth isn't big enough for humanity anymore. so everyone agrees to explore and colonize new planets. Archangel the future may be like halo!

Actually, the particular mini-moon I am talking about is about 2 miles in diameter lol That's one huge golfball ;D

Wouldn't it be so awesome to go up there, take some friends (girls as well, of course), get internet, and just chillax. It would be amazing, just a few people, on a moon, away from all other civilization.

Wouldn't it be so awesome to go up there, take some friends (girls as well, of course), get internet, and just chillax. It would be amazing, just a few people, on a moon, away from all other civilization.

Did you know if we were a unified government then we probably could open a resort on our actual moon? However, there is a treaty that's been signed by more than half of the nations on the planet and ratified by most of the signers that states that the moon is not to be colonized or to be claimed by any country? :D

"Our planet is a lowly speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark"- Carl Sagan

I love space, my main goal in life is to learn about it, maybe even get out there. I hate the lack of effort and vision made by our people in power to get out there. Our galaxy is one of millions, our star one of many billions. I hope one day we get out of our solar system and find new life.

• Like 1