The Red Ring of Death

Church

As many of you know, the Red Ring of Death (RRoD) is something that plagues almost all Xbox 360 users at one time or another. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the RRoD, here is a brief (or not so brief) explanation.

Xbox 360 consoles are power hogs. When paired with a lame cooling fan, power hunger is a no-no. And so, due to overheating, many consoles face an infamous problem: The RRoD. When the console overheats, several key components to the 360 can be easily damaged, causing the RRoD. There are four different types of RRoD, each one discernible by the number of illuminated red rings. These rings are the green controller indicators, but when the RRoD is in play, they flash red.

The most commonly seen RRoD is the three ring malfunction. This indicates a general hardware failure. In this RRoD, when the system overheats, the solder which normally makes connections between components on the motherboard heats up to a degree where it actually begins to bend the board, causing the solder to flow in opposite directions, interrupting the electrical connection within the board. The board bends due to two components on the board: the clamps (commonly known as X-clamps) that hold the two cooling heatsinks on the CPU (core processing unit) and GPU (graphics processing unit) in place. These overly flexible clamps bend in the surplus heat, and the board bends with them.

Another RRoD is the two ring error. This is a last-ditch, built-in failsafe for your 360. When it begins to flash two red rings, it is warning you that your console is getting WAY too hot, and that general hardware failure will be imminent unless you shut down your 360.

The four red ring error can have several meanings. The most common occurrence is when your component video cable, HDMI cable, or the slots in which they fit in, become built up with dust and/or grime, or your cables are broken, and are unable to make a connection. Another problem which can cause the four RRoD is an overheat issue. This overheat problem results when the heatsink paste (a special paste that is spread on the GPU and CPU chips to spread the heat evenly) hardens, or is not spread evenly. This causes the chip to heat up dramatically when in use for only a short period of time, and, if unnoticed/left unfixed, your GPU will burn out, rendering your 360 permanently inoperable.

And last, the one ring error. This RRoD is most commonly identified by an E74, E76, or E79 error displayed on the screen. This occurs when your North Bridge chip (this chip acts as a interpreter of sorts, it communicates with both the CPU and GPU) overheats, and scrambles the communication between the CPU/GPU and the rest of the system.

There are many possible fixes for each RRoD. There are several fix kits that works the best for repairing both 3 RRoD and 1 RRoD (available here: http://xbrdepot.hostedbyamazon.com/). I have repaired many consoles by means of these kits (**WARNING** Do not attempt this if you do not view the INSTRUCTIONS available on the same website). And yet even it is not the only option. Some people simply overheat their 360 again in an attempt to restore solder connection. For the 4 RRoD, some people just clean their slots/cables with vinegar, which often works. Or a replacement cable may be necessary. Sometimes you need a new 360 if the cable slots are actually damaged. There is an option for repairing the burned out GPU also. You can buy a replacement one online, and after overheating your console to loosen the solder, you can remove and replace your GPU (**WARNING** Do not attempt this if you do not have INTENSIVE EXPERIENCE with repairing electronics). For two RRoD, your best bet is to immediately power off your 360, and hope for the best :P.

There is also a NEW error, found only in the Xbox 360 slims, known only as the RDoD (Red Dot of Death). This new error means general hardware failure, but in this event, it is practically unfixable. There are many people working on trying to develop a fix for it, but at this rate, not enough consoles suffer from it for it to become a big deal. The only method i know of that "fixes it" is to overheat your console.

Now this thread is for posting your experiences with the RRoD, telling funny stories of how you were "...only THIS far away from ________, when the infamous red ring..." and for asking for technical help/advice on how to deal with YOUR RRoD.

CYA on the forums!

-Church

• Like 4

Once there was a Hurricane by my house, and my power cable got DRENCHED (Unfortunately I didn't notice). Then when I hooked it up...my Xbox had 3 Ring RRoD. I immediately turned off my Xbox. But I was "eager" to see what would happen if I turned it back on. But! To my surprise, my power cable started flying sparks and then caught ON FIRE!

Weeks later, my dad took me to GameStop. And he bought me a new power cable. Then we hooked it up, and my Xbox was as good as new!

The way to not get RROD is to keep it off the ground or a desk, may it elevated, so all of the air vents work, because the original xbox 360 had cooling issues, you had to keep it off the ground, so all the air vents could work fully, which is why mine is on top of a box with holes in it, DONT put it on its edge though, as sometimes the disc falls out of the disc tray, and your xbox won't work.

The silm is much better with more air vents, so it obviously works much better. :D

Hope i helped.

I know a guy that knows a fix for the RDoD. I'll try to get him on here to explain how he does it. It's a long shot, but he has extensive experience modding consoles and repairing them, so I'll give it a shot :D

hey director. that's what i do in my spare time!! i've fixed at least 50 xboxes with RRoD, and have only failed twice! i also fix hard drives, system errors, and other things.

if you want the short term way of keeping it alive: wrap it up in towels, make it overheat, then turn it back on.

It works for about an hour, but its an hour more of gameplay.

That works???? Well i will keep it in mind if i ever get it again :)

That works???? Well i will keep it in mind if i ever get it again :)

yes it "works" but if you do it to your 360 more than 3 times it is likely to fry it. on the website i posted there is a link to how to PROPERLY overheat your xbox 360.