A Rational Solution for the Halo "unfair", Booting System?

Iиversiσn

A Possible Solution to the "unfair", Halo: Reach Booting System.

(Before I go into depth explaining the possible solution that I have thought about I would like to say that it is only my personal opinion, that is backed up by what I have heard other players commentate about. Feel free to post any additions or any constructive criticism).

For example: The system in Halo: Reach is a tad bit random. Many people have said they have gotten betrayed twice, then they go to betray the guy who killed them out of sheer frustration and get booted. This is just a mere example as to why people think that the booting system in Halo: Reach is at times unfair.

I don't think that 343i will be introducing a new update to Halo: Reach to fix this problem, as they are already using Bungie's booting system for Reach, and are in the process of producing Halo 4. So far, this problem seems a little out of hand to some players desperately looking to 343i to answer their cry for help for a better booting system. I find this to be the case because there is no artificial intelligence to monitor the game and see if a betrayal was accidental or not. Now, I think that we are definitely far from having artificial intelligence monitor all of our games :P... Never the less, I find the system to be at times, indeed, unfair.

I think a possible solution here is present. Having a system like Battlefield 3 (but tweaked just a little bit), where players have the option to "forgive", or "punish". Please forgive the idea of Halo following another game, but I think that this is a very plausible solution at hand. I think that in order for players to be booted from a game, they should have the whole team vote either forgive, or punish. This allows some more leeway for an accidental betrayal so if the team mate that you killed by accident decides to be irrational and boot you for an accidental kill, he/she no longer has the power to do so, now the whole team has a say in whether or not your betrayal seems fit for a kick, or a forgive.

I can see some problems occurring with this, like people abusing the system to their advantage so they can betray somebody over and over again without getting kicked but I think maybe a limit of say 10 kills should be implemented, (let's be realistic, who has ever gotten 10 accidental betrayals in a game?). Other problems like that might arise, but I still have great faith in the Halo community and I see problems like that to be very minuscule, because of all the rational and sensible Halo players out there.

Anyways, thanks for listening to me blabber on about this whole topic. Please feel free to share your opinions and ideas with me. :)

Thanks,

-MaGIIXz

Edit: Okay, Definitely three betrayals would be enough for the game to boot you. Thanks for the feedback guys!

• Like 1

I have an idea for the booting system.

Let's put it this way, your shields are 50% of your overall defenses. the other 50% is your health. If your team mate is shooting you and he does 60% of your overall defense which would be all your shields and give you a yellow health bar, and someone from the enemy team shoots you in the head, he did 40% of your health so it would count as a betrayal, resulting in the option to boot the player. This would be a betrayal because I hate people who follow you around and melee you when enemies are nearby shooting at you, then you die. If a team mate kills you by doing 100% of your defenses then you will 100% guaranteed get a chance to boot him/her. If the team member you betray has full shields and a red bar of health, the system will adjust itself with a ratio of 1:1. That last remaining red bar of health would = 50% and shields = 50%. I can't think of anything for grenades right now because I just thought of this at the top of my head.

• Like 1

This sounds really great. I don't see the stick that some people have with this game "taking" ideas from other games, when let's face it, they would improve the game. Like someone else said, it should be limited to three betrayals of the same person, but other than that, it sounds really great!

• Like 1

Definitely not 10 betrayals, way to many. As for the idea itself, while plausible, it can still be abused by people who are boot happy. "Didn't betray me? Okay, but you betrayed my other teammate. See ya later!"

Spartan, please refrain from posting something that has already been posted bye other users multiple times. As you can see, I have edited it and hope to see some new suggestions. Not to be rude, but I'm just pointing out that you should stick to quality and original posts instead of copying and pasting.

Anyways, Welcome to this great forum Spartan! :), thanks for the feedback everyone else. I think while I was writing my idea I was not really thinking deeply about how 10 betrayals would impact your team so negatively, now, I face palmed that I actually said ten. :blushing:

-MaGIIXz

Your comment on artificial intelligence monitoring a player's betrayal count isn't as "futuristic" as you make it seem. There are ways to make the "unfair" booting system better, but by no means will it ever be perfect. There will always be that one immature teammate from time to time who thinks by killing you it will make the game more enjoyable than actually playing the game the way it was intended, but there are some intelligent ways to get around that (and admit it -- you've probably been guilty of doing this yourself at one point! In this respect, the system's lack of proper functionality is a part of the "Halo experience," if you will).

For example, let's say that, in a game of Team Slayer, your teammate betrays you with a Rocket Launcher. From a completely open-minded perspective (that is, a computer system that cannot make decisions based on a betrayal's motivation), this seems completely plausible -- shooting an enemy that is near a teammate with the good old Rocket Launcher could very well cause an unintentional death. However, if a teammate is killed by a DMR in a Team Slayer match, from a completely unbiased perspective, this seems a bit more unlikely to have been unintentional (the victim would have had to have virtually no shields for the betrayal to have been an accident). So one solution would be to have betrayals monitored by what weapon was used to commit the betrayal. However, if the gametype were Team Rockets, this system would not work. Thus a global approach to solving this issue is not possible.

As you can see by this example, there are so many factors that effect the booting system, it would be difficult to make it any better than it is currently. Nobody (except Bungie's programmers) knows for certain how the current booting system works, but I do agree that there could be some improvements, such as the overall "three betrayal limit," or monitoring the time intervals between each betrayal. Bottom line is that betrayals are a frustrating but necessary part of the game, and so learning to shrug it off, even if it happens to you right before you get that Perfection with ten seconds remaining, makes you a more mature Halo player -- in fact, it should make you motivated to try to do it again!

Many people would then complain.

"It's not Halo."

"CoD suckzzzz"

"Reach Suckzzz"

"I have no friendszzz"

Are just some things people would say.

Lol true and nice examples. But COD isn't the only game like this battlefield and many others shooters implement this system. And who cares if a few players rage, it's for the better of the community

• 1 month later...

I was thinking that a good option would be that you always get the option to boot, unless an enemy is killed within 3 seconds (before and after) of the betrayal. That would be a way to tell if it was an accident because most of the time that there is an accidental betrayal, you still end up killing the enemy guy you were trying to. They could also make it that if you betray someone who is within 10 or maybe 20 feet of an enemy there would be no option to boot. But, if there are over 3 betrayals in the same game, the boot option overrides all these other variables. And one last rule, if someone betrays someone else in the last 5 seconds of a NON-SLAYER gametype, then there is never the option to boot. Because this never effects the game and everyone one does it at the end of a game.

There are a lot of ways the tell that it was most likely a accident. And, also tell if it is on purpose. At the moment, I really hate the booting system in Halo: Reach. I've been betrayed 5, yes 5 I counted (not an exaggeration), in a single game and not gotten the option to boot any of those times. But, when I get ticked off and betray them, I immediately get booted. Random is not the way to go with something as important and game changing as booting.