Infinite...Review, Impressions and Suggestions

TenakaF

Hi all

Just thought I'd pop by and share a few thoughts.

Well....yesterday, I finished HIs single player campaign. What can I say? I really liked it. Great story combined with great gameplay.

Well done?

Issues? Yes....there is a third of the map that is effectively cut off. The story is also incomplete.  A great many concepts were introduced but not fully developed....for example, Jega. Much was made of him pre-release but very little in game. There are questions still unanswered - why was the Earth shown in that holo towards the end? Not made clear why.

More...we now need a spin off. The War against the Created is still a mystery, as is Earths fate.  Where is Laskey? How did the Infinity fall in just 4 minutes? Was Cortana helping the Banished? Why is the Timeline messed up...some parts where Cortana appears indicate they were recorded after the Infinity was attacked? But S117 was there when Cortana "died". What did the Banished do to make Cortana destroy Atrioxs homeworld? Where is the Infinity? Where are Team Blue and Team Osiris? Is Zeta Ring the same ring we see in Halo CE? The story seems confused on this issue.

Lots of questions. And no...'read the book' is not an answer. Most of these questions should be answered in game.

As for the game...I would have liked greater control over the Marines, specifically telling them to go away.  MS is getting Nuance....how about voice control?

Other aspects? There are no Takedowns. The game needs better weapon descriptions so we know the difference between variants, a bit like Halo Reach.  I think the Reverie should have been built up as more marines were rescued, more bases liberated, becoming more and more a true fortress. The "crafting", inventory and upgrade system is very limited and rudimentary and could benefit from improvement. There is a need for more biomes, more variety, more environments. The game looks beautiful but some new visuals would have been appreciated. 

For the single player campaign, these are minor issues. But still a concern.

The SP game does feel incomplete. There is a definite feeling that much has been cut away, probably to make the Dec 21 deadline. 

This is still a great game, but it should have been more 

As for Multiplayer...quite a lot has already been said.

The gameplay is great. No question. The game looks well. Plays well.

But many of the issues raised by others are valid.

The Challenge System is a complete failure. It does not reward the player. It simply turns the game into a chore. A job. It actively sucks enjoyment from playing it and it skews players actions in a way that is detrimental to PvP. And too much of it is still finicky or luck based....I can't be the only one irritated at coming across ONE Capture the Flag match in three days.

The Challenge System might work in a PvE mode. It might work as a supplementary system. It might work if you could choose which challenges to attempt and had a meaningful limit.

It does NOT work as it is, it is not fit for purpose and it needs either a major revamping or removal.

The game needs a Performance Based XP system.

Secondly, the game plays well but there are definite balance issues. Nothing major, thankfully but some weapons just feel too weak or lacklustre. 

Third, the game needs more content. More maps, more modes, more weapons, more skins. This is a big issue right now... Season one has content for three months (at most)and it is being expected to last for six. The game is feeling tired right now. There simply isn't enough to do, not enough variety in what there is.

Fourth, Fractures and Special Events are, IMO, failures and need to go. They are simply there to provide more fodder for the BattlePass. But they lock up modes that should be baseline. 

Fifth, the BattlePass is poorly designed. There is too much filler. Challenge Swaps are a BAD idea. Leaving aside the value of Challenges, this simply tells us that you KNOW some of the Challenges are bad and not worth doing. If a Challenge is bad, boring, whatever to the point that it is swapped out, it SHOULD NOT be in the game.

I could go on, but others have stated pretty much the same

Suggestions....

HI is a great game, but there is plenty to improve.

What I, personally, would like to see in tbe future....

1. A character generation system. 

Let me create my own in game avatar. Let me decide how my Spartan looks outside his armour.

For 343, this also means more options for sale. This could bring in hairstyles, tattoos, scars, cyberware, jewellery, clothing, and more. How about emotes and dances?

More, it also opens up opportunity. How abour a Multiplayer ODST mode where players can fight without armour? Or an asymmetric match...a group of ODSTs vs a single Spartan?  It also means the possibility of human enemies, as well as more varied NPCs, with much greater range of animations.

2. A PvE mode.

Not the MC campaign, but a dedicated PvE mode. Your character is sent back to the ring and given a job to do. Craft a storyline that takes place over a season and give the player something to do. Turn PvP challenges intonPvE quests and add some RPG elements. Sea of Thieves is adding monthly adventures so look into something like that. HI has plenty of enemies...the Banished, Forerunners, Flood, Created, Precursors, Insurgents and soon, the Endless. Use them

3. More biomes

Let's see jungles. Swamps. Ruins. Desert. Icecaps. Lets see dangerous mega fauna and dinosaurs on the the ring.

4. Performance Based XP

The Challenge System is a failure. 

5. An improved BattlePass.

There is much wrong with the current BattlePass. In essence it is decent, but there is too much bad filler such as Challenge Swaps. And it is TOO SLOW. Tune it so an average casual player can reach L100 in at most, 4 weeks. It adds nothing to the game if players reach L100 in one day or one season. But dragged out, it starts to feel like a chore. Unexciting. 

The filler also needs to be changed. XP Boosts should be replaced with a Premium Only XP boost...all XP increased by 15%...added to the Premium Tier at several stages.  The BattlePass also needs WHITE and GREEN items to act as filler, and a secondary currency which can be used to purchase said items. 

It also needs to be able to expand past L100. Players like big numbers attached to their names so let the BP grow past L100. Maybe even a yellow border around their name on screen. That means rewards...say, so much currency every five levels, but actual credits every 25 levels over 100. An in game effect would also help...say, an extra 0.25% damage dealt and taken from PvE targets for every level.

You are likely going to need some sort of scaling system anyway when 4 player coop arrives.

6. New armour types and weapons

Let's see Juggernaut and Scout armours. Maybe even Support. Lets see the ability to customise and upgrade them. Lets see add ons for weapons. Lets see new weapon types...the double barrell shotgun, the long rifle, a cross bow, a katana or bring in some more of the old weapons from old Halo games

7. Gameplay

Gameplay is great, but there are still issues where I'd like to see improvement. I, for one, would take away the slide mechanic. What I'd want is the return of the Takedown system. Sprint? Again, it's a mechanic with limited value and which has issues. I'd think an active defence mechanic might add more to the game. The IFF system is flawed...it can be hard to see a red outline with some armour colors. The radar range, aim assist, anti cheat, etc all need looking at. Contentious issues, but I think worth thinking about.

8 More content.

The game needs more content. More maps. More modes. More variety. More weapons. More weapon skins.

A lot to ask, but needed