Game and Server Stability Issues

Kodiak

Playing on PC, the constant crashes and failures to connect to server have ruined the experience of this game. Two friends and I just queued for three games of big team, I crashed the first, we all got a fatal connection error on the second, and I crashed the third. All before I even loaded into the ******* level. What is this problem? Why is it not being addressed anywhere? I’d be happy to send crash reports but I’ve never been presented the option, so I assume nobody is looking to even reconcile this gamebreaking issue.

I appreciate the comms regarding progression and playlists but that simply doesn’t matter if my friends and I can’t get into a game without crashing 50% of the time. Not to mention rejoining is bugged, it’s happened to me once ever. While there’s bots in game. Just… how?

• 3 weeks later...

Alrighty... let me tell you how I have squashed the connection errors on my end. 
I've noticed that my xbox wasn't connected on Open NAT  (network settings)... 

What you can try is to either

- Enable uPnP on your router/modem. This often can be found in the "port forwarding" section of your router/modem. The setting ensures your NAT will become open and will therefore connect with everyone instead of those players with their NAT setting put on moderate.

- Manually port forward the required ports for halo infinite and xbox live on your router/modem ( this is the safest option but requires some technical skill) 

• 3 weeks later...

My son got me into this game about a month ago. I am a software development professional and businessman.  I have three real beefs about this game and I think they all reflect very badly on 343 as a software development entity. If my company were putting this stuff out I would be beyond embarrassed. Here they are:

1) You publish an MMO yet it takes well over a month to rectify server issues? Come on!  That is MMO 101! Outrageous!

2) The cheating is rampant with aim-bots at the top of the list. Again, releasing an MMO without consideration and prevention for cheaters - really? 

3) The proximity audio is very poor. So many times you hear nothing coming from behind or around you.

343 - clearly you need technical help.

Edited by BigDaddyRC

Uh, this is not an MMO. World of Warcraft is an MMO... key differences here are:

MMOs tend to have all players in the same server instance together reading from the same DB. Halo spawns out servers as needed per game launched and runs as a container or standalone vm. (would hope they are using containers at this point, most all others do minus MMOs). Game clients send updates at a much slower rate than FPS games, and they use backend databases and client-bound entropy for generation of randomized numerical draws when someone say, opens a chest or boss drops lewtz. Sometimes the random ID generation is done on the server, but those tend to run far, far fewer clients at the same time. The CPU load for floating point calculations would kill the box in moments, thus offloading to the game client uses open resources on the customer's end which they would not notice. 

For an FPS like Halo:Infinite then all players are in a single instance of a game server sending updates to the game server at the determined tick rate that 343 sets up and uses. All updates from all game clients are shared to every player at that ticket rate util the game ends, then the container or VM is recycled or terminated. All compute is done on the client end only for the player whom is logged in and playing. Shots, coordinates of the player and aiming coordinates are generated and sent to the server during the match. 

These days, so much crap like software overclocking, cheating clients, comms clients, and more run on the customer's end (do not even get me started on the hardware differences they have to code for) so for the few who post in here needing help, millions more play without issue. I would begin with looking to run as  few services on your own machine that you care about, only run the needed drivers (remove old ones), clean your OS up (bc I am sure you are not on Linux), then turn off your RGB controller apps and play with only the minimally required items running, and I would bet good money things would be fine. 

Cheers mate.