[GameSpot] - DICE's Head of Design Is Leaving Following Release Of Battlefield 2042

343iBot

Battlefield 2042 launched earlier this month and now developer DICE's head of design is leaving the company. As reported by VGC, Fawzi Mesmar is leaving the studio, as he had plans to do so after its latest title had shipped. He joined DICE in 2019, and he worked on both the Battlefield and Star Wars: Battlefront franchises.

"It was an absolute pleasure to serve on the best design teams in the galaxy," wrote Mesmar in an email to staff. "The incredible design work that you do continues to inspire me every day. Thank you for putting some faith in me, I hope I didn’t disappoint."

Mesmar said that he was given an opportunity to work at another company that he could not turn down and that his new employer has been kind enough to wait so he could ship Battlefield 2042. "It was super important to me to be here with the team as we achieve this historical milestone," he explained.

Both he and DICE studio manager Oskar Gabrielson have been discussing his own succession plans for a while now, and whoever takes over his role will be announced later. However, they wanted to delay this announcement so the team could focus on shipping Battlefield 2042 as the game is a tentpole release. Mesmar will also be staying in Stockholm, Sweden for his next role.

EA has confirmed Mesmar's departure, telling VGC, "Fawzi Mesmar is leaving DICE at the end of the week. We wish him the best in his future endeavors."

DICE has outlined major updates and changes coming to Battlefield 2042, as the game has been receiving a large number of negative reviews on the Steam platform. Fans have been citing a buggy launch and a lack of legacy features.

View the full article