Halo Reach ideas in Halo 4

dawgz59

Am I the only one that wishes 343i would completely trash the new features that were in Reach and return to more of the Halo 3 and 2 type of gameplay? I feel like Bungie tried to appeal to the mainstream gamers and left the traditional Halo fans out. I hardly play Reach because I hate the armor abilities and the ranking system, and it took me a few months to get over the fact that they added custom loadouts. When I play Reach, i get the feel that I am playing a Call of Duty that is set in the future.

I am hoping that 343i will at least take out the armor abilites and either go back to something like the Halo 3 equipment or don't have any equipment/armor ability at all; and that they will return the the Halo 3 ranking system that is actually based on skill rather than time spent playing that game, but I am afraid I am going to be disappointed.

Sorry if this jumps around a little bit and seems more like a vent, but I have been wanting to put up a post like this for a long time (since a Halo 4 was made official) so I could get other people's opinions, but I just got around to making an account today.

I don't see how you could feel like you're playing a future Call of Duty. The two games play nothing alike.

"...that they added custom loadouts"

No, they don't have custom loadouts. You cannot choose which weapons you start with, nor grenades. The only thing you're choosing is your armour ability. Everyone still starts off with the same weapons and grenades. The only place where this isn't the case is in Invasion, but you don't get to actually customise anything. You're choosing a preset loadout. I think that it's completely fine in there.

I don't have any problem with armour abilities, not even with armour lock. I know how to play against each ability, no matter which I might be using myself. I would prefer that armour abilities be pick ups, and only certain abilities be on certain maps, but it's not that big of a deal that it's not like that. Though if this were implemented, I wouldn't have a problem with everyone starting with Sprint.

I don't see how you could feel like you're playing a future Call of Duty. The two games play nothing alike.

I meant that as a bit of an exaggeration, it just seems like they added some CoD like features to Reach.

I guess I am some sort of ultra-conservative Halo fan though that basically wants an identical version of Halo 3 for Halo 4.

I meant that as a bit of an exaggeration, it just seems like they added some CoD like features to Reach.

I guess I am some sort of ultra-conservative Halo fan though that basically wants an identical version of Halo 3 for Halo 4.

Halo 4 honestly shouldn't be identical to Halo 3. It should have things that are similar, but it shouldn't just be Halo 3 with a fresh coat of paint. Personally, even though I absolutely love Halo: Reach and think it's a fantastic game (it also happens to be my favourite Halo game), I would prefer that they build off of Halo 3 for Halo 4 instead. I know that may not make very much sense, but it's how I feel. I would prefer any extra abilities to be placed upon the map, rather than be given to you upon spawn. Sprinting is fine as something that everyone starts off with, but anything besides that needs to be a pick-up. That's something that I believe would have improved how Halo: Reach plays, but oh well. If you'd like to know what I think would have improved Halo: Reach right off the bat, here's a list below.

• 85% Bloom as the standard setting, if not 0% Bloom. (Zero Bloom would require some weapons to have reduced firing rates and/or reduced damage however, due to how accurate they would then be.)
  • Any armour abilities, except for sprint, should be pickups placed around upon the map. Sprint would be fine, in my eyes, as a starting ability.
  • Armour abilities (besides Sprint) should have only have one or two recharges before they're removed and you have to wait for them to respawn again. Either that, or remove them from the player as soon as all of their energy is consumed. Again, Sprint could be an exception.
  • Everything to use the post-TU settings, if it was affected at all. Campaign and Firefight included.
  • This one is a maybe. What I mean by that is that it wouldn't matter too much to me if it was or was not: Reduced Frag Grenade damage and/or blast radius. Plasma's would be remain the same, if not have reduced range as well.

• Like 2

Halo 4 honestly shouldn't be identical to Halo 3. It should have things that are similar, but it shouldn't just be Halo 3 with a fresh coat of paint. Personally, even though I absolutely love Halo: Reach and think it's a fantastic game (it also happens to be my favourite Halo game), I would prefer that they build off of Halo 3 for Halo 4 instead. I know that may not make very much sense, but it's how I feel. I would prefer any extra abilities to be placed upon the map, rather than be given to you upon spawn. Sprinting is fine as something that everyone starts off with, but anything besides that needs to be a pick-up. That's something that I believe would have improved how Halo: Reach plays, but oh well. If you'd like to know what I think would have improved Halo: Reach right off the bat, here's a list below.

• 85% Bloom as the standard setting, if not 0% Bloom. (Zero Bloom would require some weapons to have reduced firing rates and/or reduced damage however, due to how accurate they would then be.)
  • Any armour abilities, except for sprint, should be pickups placed around upon the map. Sprint would be fine, in my eyes, as a starting ability.
  • Armour abilities (besides Sprint) should have only have one or two recharges before they're removed and you have to wait for them to respawn again. Either that, or remove them from the player as soon as all of their energy is consumed. Again, Sprint could be an exception.
  • Everything to use the post-TU settings, if it was affected at all. Campaign and Firefight included.
  • This one is a maybe. What I mean by that is that it wouldn't matter too much to me if it was or was not: Reduced Frag Grenade damage and/or blast radius. Plasma's would be remain the same, if not have reduced range as well.

1. I think accuracy depends on the player and the player with the most accuracy should be rewarded. Therefore, no bloom. Decreased damage or fire rate would be understandable. Assuming there are no AA that prolong the game.
  2. If there is no way around them not implementing them, I would agree.
  3. Same as #2.
  4. I don't know what this means.
  5. Agreed.

I agree halo needs to go back way it was, not identical to H3 but very similar. Halo 3 felt unique, there is honestly nothing like it and that makes it good. Halo reach on the other hand felt similar to other successful FPS's and that takes away variety from the gaming world. i think 343 is on the right track though, they said they are "rebooting" the series and the main series does not include reach, ODST, or halo wars, those are spinoffs.

• Like 1

1. I think accuracy depends on the player and the player with the most accuracy should be rewarded. Therefore, no bloom. Decreased damage or fire rate would be understandable. Assuming there are no AA that prolong the game.
  2. If there is no way around them not implementing them, I would agree.
  3. Same as #2.
  4. I don't know what this means.
  5. Agreed.

Basically what Mystic means is that when a TU update comes out for halo 4, EVERYTHING should be affected, including campaign and firefight, if you notice, firefight and campaign has not been updated and still uses 100% bloom for the DMR, which is wrong since 90% of the playlists are TU'd now, and this should apply to campaign and firefight to keep the game smooth, not just have different settings for single player and multiplayer, people won't adapt to the change of bloom if they are playing 2 different settings, if they play single player and multiplayer a lot, they have to adapt between both, which shouldn't happen, so instead, make campaign and firefight TU'd so we are playing the game with the TU settings, and arguably making the campaign better with the TU.

To me I personally don't think we should "reboot" I enjoy Halo Reach a lot, I like the strategy and adaptation it creates when it a fight against others, I learned to get past pretty much all the abilities and learned how to use other abilities in ways they where never used before. I can Hi-jack a Ghost that is boosting to ram me for example, I like the Loadouts for Reach as well, What I don't like though is how all the maps became bombarded with Kill-Zones though, it makes true creations that could've been made either hard or impossible, and the limits of what we can have on a map also effect it, also the water physics for Forge World's waterfalls and certain areas of water look as if it was jello, I think they should take ideas from all the Halo games, maybe even make a O.D.S.T. style Gametype. Maybe even make a space battle Gametype where players get to battle it out in Seraphs and Longswords, that would be very exciting, maybe one or two maps. I'm sure many would like to have a space battle in them. I've done it in the campaign with my friends and had fun trying to gun each other down.

Other good ideas is maybe increase the Max players to 32? If not atleast 20? And make the servers better. Invasion is my most favorite Gametype, and I think a 16 on 16 or a 10 on 10 would make it more.... Realistic to the Halo world more... Lively if I do say so myself. Also if u continue Invasion maybe make some more Invasion maps?

Another cool idea is to re-implement the camo textures on the vehicles like on Avalanche on Halo 3. That was really amazing. Maybe do that for the elites too. Make Falcons and such more customizable as to what weapons they can carry. And make the passenger Warthog a actual Multiplayer vehicle, make the side of the tank where the treads armor plating to be able to have passengers with real players like in Halo and O.D.S.T.. re-implement the Spectre from Halo 2. As well?

Also a really exciting mode to have to me is if the stars of Halo-Halo 3 I'm going to say are in Halo 4, is to have a Gametype that you have to defend a small dark encampment from the Flood, and have flashlights on the guns, that would be a pretty scary yet fun Gametype I think, like a survival type Firefight (1 life and gets harder and harder (no skulls) just more enemies and stronger shields and players have limited ammo and can only get weapons and ammo from whatever the flood drops) rather then a defend type Firefight (replenish-able ammo and health packs).

Make the visors for the Spartans more customizable, like a hex pallet where we can have reds, pinks, yellows, oranges, greens, and other various colors, also definitely make the Elites customizable as well, I don't like having same-variant Elites as another guy I want to be my own, and the lights on the Elites should be customizable like its the Elites visor, also have all the Halo series helmets and armor available to all, and make some new ones of 343's own desire and creativity. And for the Spartans and their knives maybe make it so we can put are knife where we would like? And maybe re-implement the katana from Halo 3? I'd like to have it as an assassination weapon if u have it on your character (only 1 assassination is really needed it could have the energy sword assassinations as well it is a sword as well afterall), and the knives should be able to be on your arm, near around wrist, back shoulder blade, bottom of leg near boot outside to the legs not in between, near the side or back of hip, chest and waist. Also make the armor be able to have more colors like your should can be a color, and the helmet and the chest and legs and boots another with a secondary color implemented.

Another idea I have is make the brutes a playable character as well, they have shields like elites but a little weaker but have stronger melee strength and health, and a different weapon base that could encourage players to strategize and create methods on how to overcome brute players.

The Gravity Hammer was a disappointment to not have an assassination to it since the sword has quite a few the Hammer should have atleast one right, and the Hammer has a blade on it and would make a pretty cool animation to "stab-slam" (swing the Hammers blade upwards to dig up into the victims back then swing them upwards with a 180 arc, and a 180 twist of the hammer so the victim can hit the ground hard.)

I do agree with the whole make Campaign and Firefight included with the TU updates to the Multiplayer.

This is all just my opinion on ideas for Halo 4.

"...that they added custom loadouts"

I don't have any problem with armour abilities, not even with armour lock. I know how to play against each ability, no matter which I might be using myself. I would prefer that armour abilities be pick ups, and only certain abilities be on certain maps, but it's not that big of a deal that it's not like that. Though if this were implemented, I wouldn't have a problem with everyone starting with Sprint.

Reach's problem was that it tried to find a comfortable spot between COD's classes and Halo's symmetrical gameplay. The result was a failed feature which was too tepid to really feel significant but at the same time just annoying enough to piss allot of people off...for example, one AA is not made to counter another AA. There was no concept of balancing AA's against each other because the damn things were envisioned as the successor to Halo 3's equipment and power ups, things which you didn't have from the beginning. In effect, Reach tacked tried to apply asymettrical powers in such a way so as to be symmetrical, failing to realize that you simply can't have both. So both the AA's which were being represented were flawed. Active Camo, Bubble Shield felt weak and insignificant. AL simply failed. Sprint and Jet Pack both worked reasonably well but would have been better off if they were universal, which happily, seems to be precisely what is happening.