Halo 4 is Not a Halo Game: Here is Why

DeadbeamZERO

Well you are titled to your opinion, but I will have to disagree with you. I think the game will be good if the covenant come back as the main enemy, preferably altered and more in a destroyed state. I could cope with every other change as long as the covenant returned as the main enemy. But I doubt that will happen

That is your opinion some people have got bored of covenant and want to fight a new enemy. It maybe a different enemy but it is probably going to be good enough for halo.

Not quite. Most of us had known there would be a Halo 4. Master Chief had to come out of space somehow.

I understand how you could feel this way, but are you honestly going to tell me that you are fine with the way Halo 3 ended? That you would rather not see Master Chief rescued? To have the hero that almost single handedly ended the covenant war slowly die in space, never to see Earth, the people he saved, or anyone ever again? To have Cortana go rampant and slowly but surely unravel herself?

While you are entitled to your opinion on what makes Halo Halo, I am afraid that I must vehemently disagree with you on this one. True, the variations of the enemy did play a huge factor (which, bear in mind, the enemy may still be very versatile in what they look like and how they act), but to me the key element was Master Chief giving his all and never giving up to do what must be done to save humanity. This will obviously still be in the next trilogy.

I honestly doubt that the enemy will be forerunners, but even if they are they were still part of the original trilogy whether you like it or not. Who built the Halo arrays (which the games name is from)? Who made 343 Guilty Spark? How can you call it change, when they were in the story-line all along? As far as canon goes, you should read the books if you haven't already. They fill in some pretty big gaps. I recommend Glasslands, it happens after Halo 3, and is said to be a prequel to Halo 4.

Now we get to know where Master Chief ends up. And to answer your question, flood, insurrectionists, Sangheili zealots, Kig-Yar pirates, not to mention forerunners and precursers. It's a big Haloverse out there.

I agree with the Spartan IV thing. However, armor may be customizable, you never know.To answer your questions in order of appearance: Because Master Chiefs armor has nanobots with automatically upgrade it however they can when given enough time to, it's been a few years so it's pretty obvious that they would upgrade basic weapons and vehicles, and the possibilities are almost endless.

It seems you keep forgetting that in the time between Halo 3 and Halo 4, Master Chief has been out for a couple of YEARS. In the little amount of time between Halo CE and Halo 2, they changed so much that Halo 2 didn't even LOOK like Halo CE. The only two Halo games that looked and played even similar were Halo 2 and Halo 3. And Halo 3 still had some pretty drastic changes added into it (for instance, no longer fighting against elites). Also, the pillars that made up the covenant (the prophets, the Sangheili, the Dreadnought, High Charity, and the tentative alliance between the species of the covenant) have all been either destroyed, or ripped from the covenant. The covenant is finished. What is the new enemy going to be? No one knows but 343i. You don't have enough information as of yet to form this opinion.

It's inevitable that Halo is going to change. However, as long as it has Master Chief, or makes some sort of sense, it is still Halo. Very little information has even been released about Halo 4's story-line as of yet, so I have no idea how you "know" the things you claim to. No, the game is not going to be the game that you grew up with because it is evolving. That's what games DO. They get more advanced, more intricate. That doesn't mean they are going to be bad though. I really doubt that you will not enjoy Halo 4. It's going to be similar to Halo 3, but with some changes. Just like Halo 2 was similar to Halo CE, but with some changes. We don't know what we will be fighting against, we don't know what is going to happen, pretty much all we do know is that things are more advanced, the covenant is gone, and Master Chief is still alive and kicking someone's ass. You are putting to much thought into conjecture. Lighten up, have some fun. Also, I REALLY suggest picking up the Halo books if you haven't already. They pretty much explain everything.

Alright, the canonical explaination makes me feel better. But how would technology that comes from the time after chief was still in cryo-sleep manage to make its way to the uncharted world.

Also, the only thing I am really, really concerned about are the covenant, because I don't want them to be undermined and have the series switch enemies. The series was truly about Humanity's struggle against the covenant. That is why there have been games made without chief. I just don't want to see a Halo game without my favorite enemy.

Story wise Im not considering it canon,bungie ended the series.

Well that's rather silly in my eyes. Microsoft and 343i are continuing the series. Deal with it. You don't know the story, and whatever story it is, it's going to be canon. If you don't like that fact, fine, but you have no control over the matter. If it's canon, there's nothing you can do to change that. You'll have to accept it.

Why don't you actually give the game a chance instead of writing it off before you've experience anything it has to offer? We've not been given enough information to accurately judge the game's story, it's gameplay, or anything else. So far we have no idea just how good or bad of an experience it will be. For all we know, it could be the best Halo game to date. It could also end up being average, or the worst. We. Don't. Know. Because we don't know, you should save your opinion for when you've actually given the game a fair chance.

Most, if not all I've seen you do is complain and bash the game before it's even been released. We've seen maybe a minute, at most of gameplay, and even that wasn't anything to give a proper opinion on. Like I said above, wait until you've experienced all that it has to offer before you try to give a final and honest opinion on it.

• Like 4

After just watching the video about halo 4, I have some very dissapointed feelings and am very worried about the future of the franchise and it's development team. As with standard format and tradition I will limit my rant to numbered order of things, and as time allows, I willa nswer for my griefs in more detail as needed...

1. Engine (core settings) The graphics are not anything as I imagined. fact is, they barely look any different from what you can find in UEK or Cryengine, under

the hand sof a good SDK user. All this time, and the Blam! engine just now comes to almost a par level with 2 to 3 year old engines? Yeah, way to suck

Wolfkill and Yu.

2. Competative map designs. Frank never minces words, and he rarely ever says anything unless he has a conviction or the words have meaning. When they say "built for competative", it means just that. every map is thought out and planned with the competative game in mind.

3. Perks. They touched on the fact that certain types of "perks" would be available. Couple that with my #2 griope...and you have a MM that seems straight out designed for MLG and FFA/Arena style gameplay...leaving us casual and fun lovers at much of a dissadvantage.

4. Animations. Sorry, but I'm calling lazy or bull**** on this. The movement animations yes were touched up a bit, but the same old ones used series after series. Even the jump animation under closer look, had pretty much from what i could calculate, the same marker and node placement as Reach animations. even the in air postures were nearly identical.

5. Vehicles. The warthog model had 34 different part/model permutations. That's it? Really? You increased the amount of poly's and parts by 6?!?!?! I expect way more in terms of detail and permutations for a new engine and new trilogy...not a water downed lazy version. Hell i could go and add 23 new different parts to a warthog in halo2 easily....

6. maps. Both maps look exaclty inspired by previous ones in the series...yet they have the balls to say they are all brand new made from scratch and not reused?!?

7. HUD. I have grown acustom to seeing my grenades on the left side of the screen. So why is now they have a 3 teir icon set for the grenades on the right. And yes...those are grenade placeholders. If you watch one of the HUD gameplay screens...you clearly see a plasma grenades occupying one of those places.

8. Player physics. The physics seem to be exactly what I would expect coming out of Reach into H4. The same physics system is in place. This is not good for players. The movement speed in Reach was to slow and the jump height/gravity increased too much. What we see now in H4 is too fast of movement....for the love og god...IS IT THAT HARD TO GET IT RIGHT?!?!?

9. Weapons. The dmr is coming back. Frank said it. He said the DMR is in, and also some other single shot weapons. What purpose does pitting a BR and a DMR in the same title serve? That would be including the bruste shot and grenade launcher together.

10. Spartan IV's. Ok I know this is gonna sound dumb, but I agree with however said the suits look like a nanosuit from Crysis. In fact, on the one level they showed, the giant mech being constructed looked like a giant tachikoma from GITS. I get MM being changed and blah blah blah...but really? We need Spartan IV player models with aweful looking armosa and a whole RvB backstory? My god......

Well there you have it. A good old fashioned 10 point reason why I will not be buying Halo 4, but instead renting it just to see and maybe finish the campaign.

I think you need to know that not all of this was revealed very clearly. The graphics look pretty nice for console and who cares if they dont look very much differint than what crysis has to offer, that game looks amazing. the animations look fine, one can only go so far with an engine made for the production of a console game and making a new one will take pointless time with the components the Xbox uses. Competition is the backbone of halo, all matchmaking settings and titles should be adjusted as much as possible to make room for it. You can have all the recreational fun out of halo in custom games, custom games are much more fun than casual matchmaking you just need friends and you can meet those on the forums. Stop panicking about this its only a vidoc we barely know anything about the game yet.
  • Like 1

Wow... Anyone here actually read the books? 343I pulls a ton of info from the books and puts them into the games... e.g. Spartan IV 's are from Halo Glasslands, And their not like Spartan II's or III's, their Just partially enhance soldiers..

I dont think anyone here on the forum does read the books.............. because ive never seen a complaint about how reach ruined the story of the fall of reach and the ghosts of onyx written by Eric Nylund and how 343 should do differently and follow the books. Great set of books though but apparently i need to catch up since ive never heard of the grasslands.
  • Like 2

I dont think anyone here on the forum does read the books.............. because ive never seen a complaint about how reach ruined the story of the fall of reach and the ghosts of onyx written by Eric Nylund and how 343 should do differently and follow the books. Great set of books though but apparently i need to catch up since ive never heard of the grasslands.

I just read the Fall of Reach and you do have a point, Reach (the game) didn't follow the book. But, that really doesn't have much to do with 343Industries or Halo 4 because Bungie made Halo Reach and (I assume) had a part in the story of the book Fall of Reach.

Well that's rather silly in my eyes. Microsoft and 343i are continuing the series. Deal with it. You don't know the story, and whatever story it is, it's going to be canon. If you don't like that fact, fine, but you have no control over the matter. If it's canon, there's nothing you can do to change that. You'll have to accept it.

Why don't you actually give the game a chance instead of writing it off before you've experience anything it has to offer? We've not been given enough information to accurately judge the game's story, it's gameplay, or anything else. So far we have no idea just how good or bad of an experience it will be. For all we know, it could be the best Halo game to date. It could also end up being average, or the worst. We. Don't. Know. Because we don't know, you should save your opinion for when you've actually given the game a fair chance.

Most, if not all I've seen you do is complain and bash the game before it's even been released. We've seen maybe a minute, at most of gameplay, and even that wasn't anything to give a proper opinion on. Like I said above, wait until you've experienced all that it has to offer before you try to give a final and honest opinion on it.

I agree, no one has seen enough footage to know even the basic gameplay aspects. You've heard tons of halo 4 rumors, wanna know why their is rumors? Because people don't know for sure, so they make rumors, postpone judgement until either more info info is released or until the game is released. Basing your opinion on rumors is valid, but just ends up creating pointless arguments about previous games. Just post your opinion(s) on what is obvious, like the BR or the maps, just don't bother whining about things that you don't know will even be in the game. Honestly...

• Like 1

I know what you are saying man, but in order for progression, you need change, and you need to leave the old behind. Think about it, after Halo 4 releases and we play it for a good amount of time, won't it be amazing to go back and feel a huge surge of nostalgia? That is my take on it. I personally think that Halo 4 will be great! we've barely got any huge chunks of detail thus far. So we will just have to wait.

• Like 1

I just read the Fall of Reach and you do have a point, Reach (the game) didn't follow the book. But, that really doesn't have much to do with 343Industries or Halo 4 because Bungie made Halo Reach and (I assume) had a part in the story of the book Fall of Reach.

actually it kinda does have a lot to dd with 343 because they have to continue the story of halo and not screw it up like bungie did. But im sure 343 will do this right because they said they are basing it off the books now.

Halo is a halo game SINCE it has master chief 343 is somewhat made of old bungie employees and they've been working with Halo 4 since 2009 around halo 3 odst, I think its in good hands, but If they have a awesome cutscene in the begining of master chief prawing his way through doors on forward unto dawn, ill be quite happy

• Like 1

Was there this much commotion about Halo 3 when people played the Beta for it? Or saw gameplay footage for it for the first time?

Ever since Reach came out there's been so much hate towards all the next Halo games being announced. Everyone was complaining about how Halo Anniversary is going to fail because it doesn't have the multiplayer. Now everyone is hating on Halo 4. Seriously though, If I had one day that I could spend 24 hours in 343i studios and help them, I could create the most perfect game ever.

Simple:

NO AA's. If 343 wants AA's fair enough. Make them pickups. Every game you start off with no AA's and you have to find them. Example you pick up armor lock you can only use it for a certain amount of time and it never recharges. Same with Jetpack/Thrusters. Eventually that thing will run out of fuel. ect, ect

Implement pickups again like Halo 3. Also put active camo and overshield pickup around the map.

Make the core gameplay like Halo 2. In my opinion, Halo 2 had the best multiplayer. Competitive and fun.

Ranking/ progression System. NO leveling up or "ranks" Skill level only. How to customize armor? All armor is already unlocked but you can only wear it if you gain enough points to buy it.

Change some animations blah blah blah.

More awesome graphics.

Stick to original weapons. Only add 1 weapon and vehicle per species every new game.

MC's armor looks like the Nanosuit from Crysis. CHANGE IT

Even the gloves the Spartan 4 are wearing when holding the BR. Crysis gloves MUCH?!

WHATEVER the circumstances.... stick to god damn originals!

The list goes on. These ideas are so simple and so easy to do. 343, y u no listen?!

EDIT: Tell me your opinion on these 2 images. LOOK AT THE GLOVES ONLY

http://cache.kotaku....ysis2modkit.jpg

http://i2.cdnds.net/...er_screen_2.jpg

Even the gloves the Spartan 4 are wearing when holding the BR. Crysis gloves MUCH?!

The Master Chief's armour looks nothing like the Nanosuit from Crysis. It really doesn't. I've compared them both, and it is pretty obvious which is the MC and which is the Nanosuit. I doubt anyone with any decent Halo knowledge or knowledge of the MC will look at his Halo 4 suit and say "Is that from Crysis?" or "Is that the Nanosuit from Crysis?" The two are hardly similar in appearance.

As for the gloves, the only things that those gloves might have in common is the use of a dot pattern. That is it.

• Like 1

Wow... Anyone here actually read the books? 343I pulls a ton of info from the books and puts them into the games... e.g. Spartan IV 's are from Halo Glasslands, And their not like Spartan II's or III's, their Just partially enhance soldiers..

I really doubt it.

No matter How many times I shout "SPARTAN IV'S ARE NOT AUGUMENTED" Everyone seems to think they are super augumented.

• Like 1

Was there this much commotion about Halo 3 when people played the Beta for it? Or saw gameplay footage for it for the first time?

Ever since Reach came out there's been so much hate towards all the next Halo games being announced. Everyone was complaining about how Halo Anniversary is going to fail because it doesn't have the multiplayer. Now everyone is hating on Halo 4. Seriously though, If I had one day that I could spend 24 hours in 343i studios and help them, I could create the most perfect game ever.

Simple:

NO AA's. If 343 wants AA's fair enough. Make them pickups. Every game you start off with no AA's and you have to find them. Example you pick up armor lock you can only use it for a certain amount of time and it never recharges. Same with Jetpack/Thrusters. Eventually that thing will run out of fuel. ect, ect

Implement pickups again like Halo 3. Also put active camo and overshield pickup around the map.

Make the core gameplay like Halo 2. In my opinion, Halo 2 had the best multiplayer. Competitive and fun.

Ranking/ progression System. NO leveling up or "ranks" Skill level only. How to customize armor? All armor is already unlocked but you can only wear it if you gain enough points to buy it.

Change some animations blah blah blah.

More awesome graphics.

Stick to original weapons. Only add 1 weapon and vehicle per species every new game.

WHATEVER the circumstances.... stick to god damn originals!

The list goes on. These ideas are so simple and so easy to do. 343, y u no listen?!

I would hate it if you where in charge on anything, let alone the Halo series.

• Like 1

Everyone said the were going to buy CEA look who had. Lots of people said they wouldn't buy reach. look how many have. I'm pretty sure that a good chunk of people are going to buy it, and if you're not, why are you on the forum?

• Like 1

Everyone said the were going to buy CEA look who had. Lots of people said they wouldn't buy reach. look how many have. I'm pretty sure that a good chunk of people are going to buy it, and if you're not, why are you on the forum?

That.

Halo is a halo game SINCE it has master chief 343 is somewhat made of old bungie employees and they've been working with Halo 4 since 2009 around halo 3 odst, I think its in good hands, but If they have a awesome cutscene in the begining of master chief prawing his way through doors on forward unto dawn, ill be quite happy

I totally agree! Halo 4 has the Master Chief in it. Nuff said!!!

Okay, first of all, I have heard that the Covenant are going to be in Halo 4 and the new enemy is called "Timeless One." Seriously, don't you people read the other forums? Second, (now this is just my opinion) Halo 4 is going to be awesome. People don't understand that Bungie did want to make a Halo 4, they just never got around to it. Thirdly, It's like the few people on this thread that have taste have said that no one has even played the game yet so there's nothing to judge. You see a different design and it's been downgraded to completely hated. Those of you who say you don't want Halo to change. If you don't like change, then just keep on playing the other games. There's no harm in that. You people just aren't optimistic, we get it. If you feel the need to complain, just don't buy the game.

• Like 2

You cant say its not a halo game. We havent seen enough to draw that conclusion. Wait until the release then you can have any opinion you like, just give it a chance. Remember that a lot of the people working at 343 have already worked on past halo games and have a good idea as to what makes a halo game feel like halo

Resilience to change is condeming oneself to disappointment. i loved fighting the covenant, and i too have wondered about chiefs new appearance, but staying angry at a game that i havent even played yet because of it is not something i willing to do. Change happens all the time in the gaming world, its just halos turn to bring something new to the table.