Why be forced to have different team colors in Invasion?

Alberio

Ok, I know this is me just being nit-picky, but I'm seriously wondering why we're forced into the red and blue team colors in any invasion mode. I mean, it's not that hard to tell who's on what team with it being Spartans vs Elites. So, why force the colors?

Now, to state this in advance, I know that some of you will say that that's the only way that the game can register teams. However this is not true in the least, for when we play Firefight matchmaking it puts us into red team, however our colors remain our own. The same can be said for standard Firefight, where we are able to separate into both red & blue teams. All the while retaining our own colors.

This said, I would like to propose that 343 Industries attempt to make it to where we keep our custom colors during Invasion matches. It shouldn't be that difficult to update the coding to do such, as I have just made clear that it has already been done in the Firefight modes, and could be easily distributed via: Title Update.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this,

-Alberio Craft-

[EDIT #1]

As stated by 'Kill the King':

Well, i think they are doing it to keep it red vs blue. I also think it's to help people with glancing they might see something blue, oh that's my team, but if it is red they will pay more attention, i find it helps though.

This is a good point, but the big problem against that arguement is that in the Infection playlist everyone uses their own color unless zombified, yet we're still able to tell the difference purly from the sword's unique look. I know that may not seem like much to counter your statement, however what I'm trying to get at is the fact that, just like how the zombies look different from the survivors due to one small unique detail, the Elites look quite different from the Spartans, due to the nature of their amors (Spartans = Bulky; Elites = Smooth) and the shapes of their bodies (ex: Elites are quite taller than spartans, and are almost always hunched over).

[EDIT #2]

To back up this claim even more, here is a quote from 'RedStarRocket91':

In Invasion your teammates have icons over their heads to mark them, plus Elites always have big groups of soldiers with them who are shooting at you instead of them. And are colour-coded.

I generally agree though, I feel like it would be nice to have a team playlist where people can actually use their own colours. I admit you are less likely to see enemy soldiers out of the corner of your eye, but a little bit more stealth capability could actually open up more options for gameplay. The models really are sufficiently different to justify no forced colour.

The idea of having more of a stealth element within this game truly does have a huge appeal to people who are both professional and/or hardcore gamers. Especially due to the fact that it adds a ton more strategy for us during objective style game modes. This being said, there is also the contrast to where those who are wearing more vibrant colors (or colors that don't match the surroundings) will have a much more intimidating feel, as they come barreling down the corridors or across the fields, since they seem as if they don't have the need to camoflague themselves. Which also gives those players a slight leadership element. Those who are using the more vibrant colors would also be somewhat intimidating, as those who wish to attack the vivid colored enemy would have to think about if his opponent might have an ally lying in wait for an ambush.

[EDIT #3]

Now that all of these points have been both thought of and considered, I feel that it is safe to say that the original set-up for 'Invasion' with its forced Red and Blue colors is still a good way to help beginners. However, there has also been evidence which has been shown here to prove that we can determine who the enemy is without needing our colors forced upon us. This being said, I change my decision on changing 'Invasion' to not having forced colors. However, I also have not changed my mind.

What I'm trying to get at here, is that it would be very wise of 343 Industries to listen to their fans for both sides of this argument, and split 'Invasion' into two types. "Standard Invasion" could easily be understood as the common Red vs Blue scenario, and then there could be "Invasion Plus" or some name like that, for those of us who wish to play Invasion with our own custom colors, and are tired of having our hands held while trying to fight.

I have also posted this thread on the Halo Waypoint forums, with a poll. Make sure to go there as well, and place a vote to let 343 Industries hear your voice on the matter!

http://halo.xbox.com/Forums/yaf_postst64147_Why-be-forced-to-have-different-team-colors-in--invasion.aspx

• Like 2

Well, i think they are doing it to keep it red vs blue. I also think it's to help people with glancing they might see something blue, oh that's my team, but if it is red they will pay more attention, i find it helps though.

Yeah I agree with that.

I understand that, but the big problem against that arguement is that in the Infection playlist everyone uses their own color unless zombified, yet we're still able to tell the difference purly from the sword's unique look. I know that may not seem like much to counter your statement, however what I'm trying to get at is the fact that, just like how the zombies look different from the survivors due to one small unique detail, the Elites look quite different from the Spartans, due to the nature of their amors (Spartans = Bulky; Elites = Smooth) and the shapes of their bodies (ex: Elites are quite taller than spartans, and are almost always hunched over).

I understand that, but the big problem against that arguement is that in the Infection playlist everyone uses their own color unless zombified, yet we're still able to tell the difference purly from the sword's unique look. I know that may not seem like much to counter your statement, however what I'm trying to get at is the fact that, just like how the zombies look different from the survivors due to one small unique detail, the Elites look quite different from the Spartans, due to the nature of their amors (Spartans = Bulky; Elites = Smooth) and the shapes of their bodies (ex: Elites are quite taller than spartans, and are almost always hunched over).

Well he's got a point u don't Spartans and Elites mixed up in Campaign or in Firefight.

• Like 1

Well he's got a point u don't Spartans and Elites mixed up in Campaign or in Firefight.

In Invasion your teammates have icons over their heads to mark them, plus Elites always have big groups of soldiers with them who are shooting at you instead of them. And are colour-coded.

I generally agree though, I feel like it would be nice to have a team playlist where people can actually use their own colours. I admit you are less likely to see enemy soldiers out of the corner of your eye, but a little bit more stealth capability could actually open up more options for gameplay. The models really are sufficiently different to justify no forced colour.

• Like 1

The idea of having more of a stealth element within this game truly does have a huge appeal to people who are both professional and/or hardcore gamers. Especially due to the fact that it adds a ton more strategy for us during objective style game modes. This being said, there is also the contrast to where those who are wearing more vibrant colors (or colors that don't match the surroundings) will have a much more intimidating feel, as they come barreling down the corridors or across the fields, since they seem as if they don't have the need to camoflague themselves. Which also gives those players a slight leadership element. Those who are using the more vibrant colors would also be somewhat intimidating, as those who wish to attack the vivid colored enemy would have to think about if his opponent might have an ally lying in wait for an ambush.

Sounds perfect. Someone standing away from a doorway in bright red armour, obviously afk, you run in for a free assassination... and someone pops out with a Shotgun or an Energy Sword. There's loads of uses!

• Like 1

Sounds perfect. Someone standing away from a doorway in bright red armour, obviously afk, you run in for a free assassination... and someone pops out with a Shotgun or an Energy Sword. There's loads of uses!

Exactly! This would enhance our experience in 'Reach' quite a bit, and would also bring more people back to playing the 'Invasion' game modes. And if people didn't want to play with custom colors, it would be as easy as having two different 'Invasion' playlists that could be simply called, "Invasion Standard" & "Invasion War". Because let's face it, the custom colors would definitely make it feel more like a truly intimidating war between species.

• Like 1