XBOX 720 really going to happen?

Captain Antonio

The XBOX 720, will it happen or is it just a rumor, and it probably will happen sinse sony is making the PS4. they really need to make the PS4 because the PS3 ( :thumbdown:) isnt that good so is it nessary for a 720 sure it will have better hardware if it will exist talk about here and please try not to curse.

xbox720.jpg

Below is one of the many accounts I have read regarding the new console. I can link numerous others if needed. There was a OP in the Announcements forum

here by RANMAN10 about the new generation XBOX.

Xbox 720 Release Date for 2013; Chipset Production Is Revealed

By Vincent Funaro , Christian Post Reporter

January 25, 2012 @ 9:28 am

The Xbox 720 release date is slowly approaching as recent reports revealed that the chipset for the console has been in production since last month.

Technology news reports state that Microsoft has been making the chipset for the console that will go into full production by the end of the year.

"Recent speculation that the new main system on a chip SoC for the Next Xbox began production is apparently accurate," wrote tech site Fudzilla. "The SoC did indeed start production in late December 2011. Sources tell us that the code name for the chip is Oban, and it is being produced by both IBM and Global Foundries for Microsoft."

The report also claims that, "the power behind then next Xbox will be PowerPC CPU that is married to an ATI Southern Islands GPU, or modified 7000 series." The Xbox 720 probably will not ship until early next year if these reports are accurate since full production will not begin until the end of 2012.

"The first run of these 32nm Oban chips will be destined for developer consoles, so any hope for a holiday console release in 2012 seems unrealistic according to the site's sources, but an announcement perhaps before the end of the year might be possible," the site continued.

"It would seem Microsoft's strategy of getting it in 2013 is all but assured. We do think that the chips will be in production by the end of the year for consoles destined to be sold in 2013, which seems to agree with what some others are saying," wrote Fudzilla.

SemiAccurate, another tech site made a similar prediction pertaining to the release of the Xbox 720. It seems that this year will not see the addition of a new console from Microsoft, but at least fans can look forward to some kind of announcement regarding it made by the company.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Why wouldn't both companies make another next gen console, it's better than the previous and will profit a lot more money... possibly. I'm excited to see what the new design on the new xbox will look like, though I wouldn't get it straight away since I know I wouldn't be desperate.

The next generation of consoles will come, perhaps later than we might hope. Everyone knows Xbox 360 is on the verge of peaking its hardware limit, It's only natural, it's been out for 7 years. Since they denied the fact of a new console announcement at this years E3, I'm hoping for E3 2013.

I hope a new console never comes out because it means i have to buy a whole new console just to play halo. I dont want it to be that difficult to play my favorite games and there sequels. Microsoft should just sell mod to make the 360 better like add-ons and downloads to make the 360 better people who just got the kinect with the new model 360 would be mad if a new console came out soon because they spent there money on the 360 when they could have bought a 720.

• Like 2

It definitely needs to have blu-ray, It needs to be faster too. It better make halo seem amazing. Maybe we will get halo 5 on 720

Bluray should definitely happen, and if they have a 2014 launch for Xbox 720, or whatever they call it, Halo 5 would definitely be an at launch release for the system

You know how much the initial repairs cost Microsoft since they rushed the 360?

Thats not going to happen this time. There will be months of testing once the console is ready. They spent billions on the 3 year warranty for red rings. They don't want a repeat. Microsoft is smart enough to know that Sony releasing a system means nothing compared to the hype they would have for their new system.

• Like 1

Wow.. Microsoft consoles will never have blu ray players in them.. Sony owns blu ray, and Sony (next to Apple) is Microsofts biggest competitor. So blu ray won't happen. And a 720 wouldn't be bad, an upgrade to the 360 would be fantastic, considering the 360 can barely run modern games. If you ever played Battlefield 3, you can hear your 360 is practicly in overdrive. A hardware upgrade is going to be needed for future games.

Unless Microsoft just Buys Sony :P

Last year M$ caused lots of controversy when the domains Sony-Microsoft.com and Microsoft-Sony.com had been purchased by Microsoft.

Though the domains don't lead to anything.

Woah, this would be the ultimate slap to the face to PS3 fanboys.

Me like.

• Like 1

Bluray should definitely happen, and if they have a 2014 launch for Xbox 720, or whatever they call it, Halo 5 would definitely be an at launch release for the system

Well, Blu-Ray is a Sony product so good luck. Anyway there isn't any doubt that it will happen, but it's being delayed to all of the casual gaming and Kinect/ Move thing. Consoles are just holding the gaming world back right now since consoles are the main gaming medium and they are around 7 years old right now, if we don't get a new set of consoles soon it's going to be bad for the industry as a whole.

Also addressing the people who said they could release an update, if you use some sort of external unit to get more power for a devise that just creates lag for the console to the point where trying to play any game on it is pointless.

Sony is Microsoft's biggest competitor so, Microsoft would keep catching up with them. Unless Sony and Microsoft worked together to make the best console, the console would probably not need an upgrade for atleast 14 years. But they probably won't ,so Microsoft will continue to catch up with Sony.