If the DMR is in Halo 4, should it be nerfed?

Bubonic Blood

So, we started discussing this on a whole different topic, but because it got somewhat off-subject, I decided it is time to make a different thread about it.

One thing I noticed, is that the DMR is Over powering. Not because it's bloom, but because it's accuracy. Not only is it great for CQB on reach, but it also takes the role of a sniper rifle. Because of it's strength in long distances, it encourages players to sit at the back of the map and assist players by getting headshots on the wounded from across the map. This is one thing that the BR did not do. The Br served as a good medium to long range weapon. But not sniper rifle range. In Halo 3, the BR was a great weapon for close distances, but could be out-matched by the assault rifle, unlike the assault rifle in Halo Reach.

I for one think that if the DMR comes back in halo 4, or a weapon similar to it, it should lose accuracy in very long distances unlike in Halo Reach. There is a noticeable difference to Halo 3's valhalla gameplay and Halo Reach's Hemorrhage gameplay. For one, people in Halo 3 typically run out and get kills, or play around in the warthog and they use a variety of weaponry. Anything from the missile pod to the shotgun. But in Halo Reach, most players camp either in the cave or atop the cliff side. Players in Halo Reach usually do not try to run across the map in fear of being headshot from any distance by the DMR or Sniper Rifle. A sniper rifle, I understand, but the DMR....

Players in Halo 3 had to atleast get to medium to long distance to get headshots with the Battle Rifle. They had to risk getting killed themselves. Giving other players a fair advantage.

Now, I do think the DMR should stay how it is when it comes to medium to long range. But as I said before, maybe if it does make it in Halo 4, it should be atleast nerfed to were it loses accuracy at sniper rifle lengths.

What do you all think?

in short, i have a feeling the BR wll be back, i can feel it in my bones, the DMR had its place, and i would be sorry to see it go, but Halo is going back to Master Chief, so for me its got to go back to the BR.

Seems the DMR died on Reach...........

And now I love you Spectral. I agree with everything you just said. HUZZAH!

Dafuq are are saying the DMR is OP... It is as strong as the burst of a BR.

DMR: 4 Body shots to drop the shield leading up to 1 headshot or 3 body shots to kill

BR: 4 body shots to drop shield an 1 burst through the head for a kill or 3 body shots...

And both the same range. the only thing different is that the br shoots burst and the DMR 1 shot (they bothe have the same amount of shots btw)

And the DMR can easily be outgunned by the assault rifle in close (maybe medium of you rock and he sucks) range.

Anyway I think the DMr wont return and the BR will

Srry for the long post.

Dafuq are are saying the DMR is OP... It is as strong as the burst of a BR.

DMR: 4 Body shots to drop the shield leading up to 1 headshot or 3 body shots to kill

BR: 4 body shots to drop shield an 1 burst through the head for a kill or 3 body shots...

And both the same range. the only thing different is that the br shoots burst and the DMR 1 shot (they bothe have the same amount of shots btw)

And the DMR can easily be outgunned by the assault rifle in close (maybe medium of you rock and he sucks) range.

Anyway I think the DMr wont return and the BR will

Srry for the long post.

You obviously did not even attempt to read more than the first 2 sentences. If you had, you would have known that I said the only reason it's over powering, is because it's incredibly accurate at long distances, unlike the BR. It can get headshots from across hemorrhage easily. And no, it cannot be outgunned by the Reach assault rifle if used for paced headshots. Hence the reason NO one in reach uses the assault rifle on a normal basis unless they have a negative K/D. Everyone usually switches to pistol if they have an assault rifle, unless ofcourse their plan is to shoot with the assault rifle and end it with a beat down. Inwhich is assisted with a beatdown, not the assault rifle itself.

And to correct you on the "range" thing. Sure, every rifle in halo shoots the same range. But unlike the DMR, the BR shoots in 3 bullet bursts, and only 1 bullet hits directly in the middle, the other two go randomly in different directions within the cross hair. And if you haven't realized it yet, that means only 1 bullet, can accurately hit someone from across valhalla, and that 1 bullet, can't even kill with a headshot if someone's shields are down. So yes, the DMR is still much more powerful than the BR.

like Spectral said, i don't see the DMR coming back, as, they will want to keep to tradition and use the BR, but, IMO, this may be going off topic, if they use the BR, they have to make it more effective at long range, as it was pretty pointless at long range, there was really no difference between scoped in and scoped out, so, i hope they keep the DMR in some way, but if they do somehow, it shouldn't be as powerful as it is in reach, IE: Less Distance.

• Like 1

The only way I ever see them nerfing a med-LONG range weapon (aka DMR/BR/bunch of other guns) at long range is if they slow down the rate of fire in which it can be shot when zoomed in, which wouldn't make sense. I bet if they remade Halo 2 with the same kind of networking capabilities today then people would be having the same complaints about the BR.

If there were no way to combat a sniper that has your team pinned down then you might as well quit because you're not gonna be able to bump them out of zoom. And I'm talking about someone at a distance of like...a base to mid-map on hemmorage.

Also, if someone is hitting you with a DMR time it so you zoom in and can get a shot on them between their shots to get them out of zoom. 9 times out of 10 you will win that battle if you can keep them out of zoom after that. Or just don't stray to far from cover as you move across the map...

tl;dr

I don't see them nerfing guns to the point that the sniper alone rules long range.

• Like 1

The DMR is accurate at much longer ranges than the Battle Rifle. If you pace your shots with the DMR, you can effectively kill targets at significantly further ranges than with the Battle Rifle, whose spread means it can take almost a whole clip to kill a single enemy at long range, even if you're a perfectly good shot. Its scope is also more powerful, as it has 3x magnification compared to the Battle Rifle's 2x.

It's also wrongly balanced against the Assault Rifle. Halo 3's fired faster and did slightly more damage, so a Battle Rifle user had to keep their distance to make sure they weren't beaten. The DMR is overpowered vs it's counterpart in Reach, I regularly lose to DMR users inside Assault Rifle range, and use it to kill Assault Rifle users who're standing right next to me.

I think whatever happens, the scope needs weakening if it's to be included - as is it's effective at absolutely any range and makes map movement too difficult, particularly on large, open maps like Boneyard or Hemmorhage. The alternative would be reduce the maximum firing speed or number of bullets in a clip, to further discourage spamming. While I think it should be effective at longer ranges than the Battle Rifle, its current capabilities are just too much.

Damage is good where it is, though.

• Like 2

If the first shot in a three round burst from a BR hits then all rounds are counted as hitting, I'm fairly certain the accuracy of a BR with zero error angle is perfect. That doesn't have much to do with how easy it is to actually aim on target but to me the DMR is much like I felt the BR was in Halo 3; overpowered and offsetting to the balance of the spectrum of weapons. Of course there needs to be a high standard accuracy weapon in Halo 4 but in Reach there are 3 and like all of you are saying, this makes it hard to traverse a large scale map without marksmen being a problem.

In CE the only high accuracy weapon other than the sniper rifle was the pistol which had a 2x zoom and more 'bloom' than any other weapon like it in any other Halo. However, there was only one weapon like this and while still it was usually the most frequently drawn weapon, the pistol is not exactly a role model for what's to come in my mind.

Now i say this without working conjuctly with 343 or having any experience in beta testing but to me... it's seems like making the pistol accurate/relatively-underpowered and the 'rifle-whatever-it-may-be' high-bloom/overpowered, would make sense

If the first shot in a three round burst from a BR hits then all rounds are counted as hitting, I'm fairly certain the accuracy of a BR with zero error angle is perfect. That doesn't have much to do with how easy it is to actually aim on target but to me the DMR is much like I felt the BR was in Halo 3; overpowered and offsetting to the balance of the spectrum of weapons. Of course there needs to be a high standard accuracy weapon in Halo 4 but in Reach there are 3 and like all of you are saying, this makes it hard to traverse a large scale map without marksmen being a problem.

In CE the only high accuracy weapon other than the sniper rifle was the pistol which had a 2x zoom and more 'bloom' than any other weapon like it in any other Halo. However, there was only one weapon like this and while still it was usually the most frequently drawn weapon, the pistol is not exactly a role model for what's to come in my mind.

Now i say this without working conjuctly with 343 or having any experience in beta testing but to me... it's seems like making the pistol accurate/relatively-underpowered and the 'rifle-whatever-it-may-be' high-bloom/overpowered, would make sense

I have to disagree with that. It can be easily proven that when one bullet out of the 3 bullets hit you, you are hurt alot less than when they all 3 hit you. There does have to be a weapon of good accuracy, but not one that full-fills the job of every weapon. Halo 3's assault rifle was much stronger in close to mid range than the battle rifle was, and that is a much better thing considering the battle rifle only had to give 4 shots to the head and had a scope at that. Not nearly as over-powering as the DMR though.

I meant that if the first round from a three round burst hits the target the damage is counted as if all bullets hit the target. I always thought that the BR was a funny weapon, you can hit people without aiming at them properly and if you do aim properly then you get full damage. Hitting people across Hemorrhage lengthwise is actually near impossible, although it does happen, the TU kind of made the AR much more powerful in close range. My prediction is that if Halo 4 does feature a precision weapon other than the DMR, BR, or .50 it will not be something we've experienced before.

My prediction is that if Halo 4 does feature a precision weapon other than the DMR, BR, or .50 it will not be something we've experienced before.

I'd like an all new weapon for Halo 4, something which plays a little differently from the current human weapons. Either that or a rebalancing of the DMR and the Battle Rifle so they fill different roles.

Even though that I agree that the Dmr needs to be shortened by range, it is more fair than the Br and is obviously not overpowered. You may not notice because you have a good connection, but most of the time I couldn't shoot somebody at long range was because of lag (bullet travel time made the BR hit 1-2 shots out of 3), when I was host on H3 my BR accuracy automatically raised. And the BR couldn't deal with the AR on H3 because it was the most overpowered weapon on the game, on reach it still has a lot of power (considering how extremely easy it is to use) but not as much as H3.

The Dmr has a good range, but it is sure not as good as the sniper (you exaggerated there), a sniper would still beat the s*** out of a Dmr (in good hands). And people on H3 used to run out randomly in the map because of how easy and powerful the assault rifle was to use, they knew they could be that bad and random but still get plenty kills. But when it comes to competitive players, people on H3 camped a lot more than the people on Reach, I still remember those level 50 matches on doubles... out of 5 times you saw someone, 4 of them they were crouching (good skill for a level 50).

I meant that if the first round from a three round burst hits the target the damage is counted as if all bullets hit the target. I always thought that the BR was a funny weapon, you can hit people without aiming at them properly and if you do aim properly then you get full damage. Hitting people across Hemorrhage lengthwise is actually near impossible, although it does happen, the TU kind of made the AR much more powerful in close range. My prediction is that if Halo 4 does feature a precision weapon other than the DMR, BR, or .50 it will not be something we've experienced before.

I still can't believe you said that it's a funny weapon because it hits people without aiming at them properly when there is a weapon like the assault rifle in Halo, which is mostly based exactly on that

I still can't believe you said that it's a funny weapon because it hits people without aiming at them properly when there is a weapon like the assault rifle in Halo, which is mostly based exactly on that

What i meant was this: i can fire once, while not aiming at the player, and if i track my reticle across their position i'll most likely hit something. It may not be the full damage but to me it makes it a funny gun. I don't know why you're talking to me about this when we both think the DMR is better.

Plain and simple, I do not like and weapons in reach, it is not because reach is a bad game or anything, i just do not like it, it is not a Halo game. That brings me to the DMR, get rid of it. There is no place for it because of what was said in the initial post. The problem is if u nerf its super long distance it becomes underpowered, it was just poorly designed. Bring back the BR, no bloom, H#/H2 style, aka the good old days

Plain and simple, I do not like and weapons in reach, it is not because reach is a bad game or anything, i just do not like it, it is not a Halo game. That brings me to the DMR, get rid of it. There is no place for it because of what was said in the initial post. The problem is if u nerf its super long distance it becomes underpowered, it was just poorly designed. Bring back the BR, no bloom, H#/H2 style, aka the good old days

why isn't it a Halo game? Halo 2/3 completely changed how Halo was played forever, if anything i would say that Reach is a conglomeration of everything that makes Halo. Just my opinion though, as you have yours of course, so i'm left wondering why you think this

The DMR won't be back because its the predecessor to the BR.

Actually, it's branch-specific rather than just old. The Army uses the DMR, the Navy uses the Battle Rifle.

Also, if enough people want it back, I think it might actually make a return. 343i seem to be good at listening to their fans.

• Like 1

Actually, it's branch-specific rather than just old. The Army uses the DMR, the Navy uses the Battle Rifle.

Also, if enough people want it back, I think it might actually make a return. 343i seem to be good at listening to their fans.

I agree. I'm not a fan of the DMR, but I do think that 343 would bring it back for the fans, but I'd like to see DMR users go up against BR users XD

• Like 1

Okay, but I don't know about you, but it seems to me more people would rather have the BR and not the DMR.