Project Dead Night

John-117

It was a bright September morning, the small town was quite. I walked up the steps into the train station waiting for my ticket number to be called. As I stepped aboard the train I found there to be only one more spot open. I sat next to a young lady named Catherine who was heading to the same place I was. I was heading to Astonog Bay where I was supposed to collect the taxes from the widowed woman Eleanor Dunshire. That is the day I remember so vividly, it is hard to imagine how everything has change since that day.

I was walking down the street to the old mansion that looks like it has aged well with the people who use to accompany it inside. There were rumors that the widow supposedly killed her husband but it was never known what the cause was. As I came up to the house I saw an image flicker through one of the upstairs window and when I blinked it was gone. Just thinking it was my imagination, I headed into the house.

I walked inside thinking that this house was going to be nice since someone still lived here. As I stepped through the door, I heard something coming from the third floor. I headed up the stairs hearing every creak in the floor boards as I stepped. When I opened the door where the sound came from, I saw a young man sitting in a rocking chair. As I started to ahead to see who was sitting there I was greeted by a rotting corpse who seemed to be still fresh. Not knowing what would become of me if I stayed even a second longer I ran downstairs through the door of the main hall. When I returned to my horse drawn wagon I was greeted by a familiar face, it was Catherine who I met the day before on the train.

Catherine and I headed back into town talking about political news and the happenings of things around the world. As we headed back into town we were being watched by numerous towns folk. I headed into the Sheriff’s office, telling Catherine to guard the buggy, reporting to the Sheriff the things I saw moments upon arrival. I could tell something was wrong due to his cold raspy voice like he was being watched and had to use the right words or he would be in grave danger.

After finding no help through him, I went around trying to ask towns people questions about the house only to be with a replied shutting of the door. I finally almost decided to give up until I came upon a local tavern called the Hog’s Head. There was an innkeeper who looked like he might be able to help me. As I began to ask my question, he quickly shifted his eyes to the bottom cellar. This is where I found the truth to what happened that night Mr. Dunshire was killed. Apparently nothing that the Daily Report said was true. He said there was a sudden shriek that came from the house that night and that when the Sheriff arrived he saw a blood stain on one of the windows and felt a dark chill run across his neck and that is when he decided to turn away and never return.

As I left he told me that the truth lies in the blood. Wondering to myself if the man is just a crazy person I continued on. Catherine had a friend who lives in the village and she agreed to let us stay there for the night. That night, I heard the supposed shriek and realized what the old innkeeper said was true….

I went the next morning to tell the innkeeper what I heard that night only to find the sheriff there and a body bag with a corpse hidden inside it. The Sheriff came over to me and told me that I should have never come to the town. I took a stroll down an old weary path which led to a small to man boat that lay upon an old dirty pond. Being as curious as I am, I decided to go on a little ride. After going through the winding path that was the pond. I found that it odd where it led to. It led to a small tree where if you went farther, led straight into the mansion.

I then turned see a silhouette hiding behind a tree but it then suddenly vanished. That is when I heard about a dozen voices combine into one that then said she did this to us, please let us free!