What Halo 4 needs and doesn't need.

VeteranOND

First off, I'm going to say I hate Reach. Bungie seemed to scrap this game together because they knew they were done with Halo. These changes made Reach IMO the worst Halo game ever...even worse than ODST, which I didn't think was possible. Adding armor abilities was a good idea but it was a huge fail for the most part. It was almost like they tried to piece together different aspects of other major games like the sprint for Cod and the evade from Gears in order to please a greater audience. But instead, they forgot what made Halo, Halo. With such a loyal and loving fan base that is the Halo universe, they should have stuck with what we liked. If it's not broke, don't fix it, right?

Now for the controversial subject...bloom. I personally hate bloom. I left Reach for many reasons but the main reason was bloom. Having to time shots is not Halo IMO. In Halo 2, it was about aiming for the head every shot. Shooting as quickly as possible to take down an opponent. And it was fun. I think fast enough in the game between callouts, moving, and watching weapon respawn times to worry about how big my reticle is. I'm a good shot and when I die because someone is spamming and the auto-aim takes over, it makes me mad. I have recently started playing Reach again but only ZB playlists. It still isn't great because of jetpacks and armor lock, but its better.

As a long time Halo fan, the best Halo game was Halo 2. It put the video game industry on the map. I feel 343 needs to revert back to the style of play in Halo 2. Bring back classic maps like Lockout, Midship, Coagulation/Blood Gulch, and Warlock/Wizard, instead of relying on players to forge them. Take weapons away like the needle rifle and add the old Carbine, the 4 shot BR, and if they feel generous, the BXR and doubleshot. I know the latter two were glitches but they actually became part of the game and were allowed on the MLG Pro Circuit at the time. It was so gratifying to be low on shields and kill someone with a simple BXR.

Maybe I'm crazy but after two crappy releases like ODST and Reach, I find myself looking back at the good times I had at LAN parties playing Halo:CE and Halo 2 wishing to do it again. So bottom line, 343, look at how Halo 2 made it the pinnacle of Bungie's existence. The maps, the PURE gameplay with no armor abilities or bloom, and please, if possible, the BXR and doubleshot.

• Like 3

I'm going to simply say this. Bloom has been in every single Halo title ever since Halo: CE. It may not have been as much of a focus, but it certainly was in every title. I don't know about you, but I have no issue with pacing my shots and getting the kill against someone who spams their trigger. Especially with the TU changes implemented. If you're losing against spammers now, you must not be properly timing your shots. The size of your reticule doesn't affect how accurate your shots are. That is bullet spread, and the expanding of the crosshairs does absolutely nothing but show the area in which your shots are going to land due to it. I would not want them to include cheap glitches like the BxR and double shot. If your shields are low, I think you should find a proper way to out play your opponent, rather than resorting to a cheap glitch to save you. Halo 2 was absolutely not the game that put the video game industry on the map. There were plenty of games before even Halo: CE that had popularized video games. Super Mario Bros., Sonic, Doom, The Legend of Zelda, etc. Just to name a few. I like Halo 2. I believe it to be a very fun game. I do however, believe that Halo 3 did what Halo 2 did, but did it much better. Just my opinion though. I happen to think Reach and ODST are very good games as well.

• Like 1

I'm not even going to argue with your post about how ridiculous you sound. It's still your opinion though, so I respect you for that BUT Bungie DID NOT copy other games by adding abilities. I'm pretty sure CoD was not the first game to implement sprint, nor was Gears of War the first game to implement evade.

• Like 1

I agree with you. Bungie alienated its fan base when making Reach. Its a good game, but a mediocre Halo game. It doesnt deliver the classic halo feel and its population shows that. Now with the TU slowly bringing back the old settings, some people are returning and hopefully 343i will continue to improve on it.

HaloCE did a great job of putting multiplayer FPS on the map, Halo2 was the first console game across the internet, Halo3 was the king of FPS and introduced a lot of great things into gaming. Hopefully Halo4 can continue their legacy.

• Like 2

I think that certain armor abilities and certain equipment should be in Halo 4. I don't like the Halo Reach bubble shield (can be popped with fire and heals you when you are in it), but I like the Halo 3 bubble shield (can only be popped when the equipment is destroyed, doesn't heal anyone). Certain things make the game more fun and competitive. I would like to see evade, armor lock, bubble shield, and jetpack armor abilities disappear, and have the porta-health, bubble shield, trip mine, and flare equipment come back. That's just my wishlist though. I also hope they come up with some new things as well.

• Like 1

I agree with you. Bungie alienated its fan base when making Reach. Its a good game, but a mediocre Halo game. It doesnt deliver the classic halo feel and its population shows that. Now with the TU slowly bringing back the old settings, some people are returning and hopefully 343i will continue to improve on it.

HaloCE did a great job of putting multiplayer FPS on the map, Halo2 was the first console game across the internet, Halo3 was the king of FPS and introduced a lot of great things into gaming. Hopefully Halo4 can continue their legacy.

There were other FPSs that did this well before Halo: CE. DOOM, Quake, Unreal Tournament, etc. Halo 2 was NOT the first console game across the internet/that had online multiplayer by the way. What did Halo 3 introduce into gaming? I can't think of anything that it introduced that hadn't been done before.

Okay, Bloom. Let's start there.

In its current form, it hasn't always been in previous games. Every weapon had a set reticule in which bullets would land regardless of how fast or how slow the trigger was pulled, the exceptions being the Pistol and Assault Rifle from Halo: CE. I don't like it because I personally believe that any shot you fire should hit or miss depending on how accurate you are as a marksman, not how accurate your weapon is. While Mystic is right in saying that it's a lot better now that the TU has been implemented, I don't like the idea that even though I'm pacing my shots to keep my DMR accurate, my opponent just spams like crazy and is still able to kill me because he gets lucky with where his shots land. Yes, I'm aware that there was bullet spread and a degree of chance in previous games that shots would hit or miss even if they shouldn't have. But the key difference is that in the Battle Rifle the first shot of the burst would always land exactly in the centre of the reticule, allowing for more accurate fire and less reliance on chance.

I think Armor Abilities were actually quite a nice idea, they just were implemented badly. They would have been better off as pickups and they weren't properly balanced, but it was a nice idea and it has potential. I dislike the apparent reductions to movement though, players feel slow and heavy now and it really is too difficult to get away from 'Nades and explosions - more so than in previous Halo games anyway.

The other problem I have that nobody ever seems to bring up is the physics engine. Collision damage just feels so awkward and overwrought, walking into the side of a tank should not result in instant death. Or possibly even any damage at all come to that.

Finally, button glitches and Halo 2 glorifying. I'm going to be controversial and say Halo 3 was much better. The gameplay was much tighter and more balanced, everything felt more refined and it was a lot less buggy. Button combos should not be in a Halo game. Period. If you beat someone it should be down to your personal skill, not because of exploits or luck or you have better equipment or a better position that you didn't earn in-game.

• Like 2

There were other FPSs that did this well before Halo: CE. DOOM, Quake, Unreal Tournament, etc. Halo 2 was NOT the first console game across the internet/that had online multiplayer by the way. What did Halo 3 introduce into gaming? I can't think of anything that it introduced that hadn't been done before.

I am aware of those games, but they did not create a gaming community. I wasnt around gaming back then, but those games are barely ever talked about. Understand, Im in no way saying they were bad games or trying to take away from how awesome they are, but only a small niche of people played them. The fact is, Halo2 was a social game that caused people to get together, it was really the first FPS of its kind. Thats why its so well remember and not because the gameplay was flawless. But have you ever heard people talk about getting together for a DOOM tourny? Or hear people rave about Unreal Tournament? As amazing as those games are they do not have the legacy of Halo2.

Halo has a habit of taking what others have done and making it shine. Each Halo really brings something forward in the industry; HaloCE showed console FPS was a fun and powerful genre, Halo2 showed that people want to compete and be social together, and Halo3 brought theater mode. Now I doubt any of these innovations were actually made by Bungie, but they made them great. When HaloCE came out, suddenly FPS were all the rage and many were created, no other game has really done that. Halo2 made cross console gaming a must for any new title. Halo3 made sure that great games had theater mode. And IMO, theater mode is one of the MOST important additions to any game ever, so Halo3 made it the standard of great games. And I'll go so far as to state ODST brought humans vs AI siege games in the titles, suddenly this became an important part of great games.

So what Im trying to say is Halo are revolutionary games. Each game brings unique ideas to the industry that became the standard, even though DOOM is amazing you cant look at any of its mechanics and say "That inspired the industry." Halo as a series has changed Shooters more than any other game for any other genre. Thats why I love Halo and am a complete fanboy of it, the trilogy created a new type of fun with every release. I still go back onto my PC and play HaloCE online. I still have yet to find a game where I have more fun with others than Halo3.

Sorry, I got off on kinda a tangent, but your statement really got to the core reasons why I love Halo.

First off, I'm going to say I hate Reach. Bungie seemed to scrap this game together because they knew they were done with Halo. These changes made Reach IMO the worst Halo game ever...even worse than ODST, which I didn't think was possible. Adding armor abilities was a good idea but it was a huge fail for the most part. It was almost like they tried to piece together different aspects of other major games like the sprint for Cod and the evade from Gears in order to please a greater audience. But instead, they forgot what made Halo, Halo. With such a loyal and loving fan base that is the Halo universe, they should have stuck with what we liked. If it's not broke, don't fix it, right?

Now for the controversial subject...bloom. I personally hate bloom. I left Reach for many reasons but the main reason was bloom. Having to time shots is not Halo IMO. In Halo 2, it was about aiming for the head every shot. Shooting as quickly as possible to take down an opponent. And it was fun. I think fast enough in the game between callouts, moving, and watching weapon respawn times to worry about how big my reticle is. I'm a good shot and when I die because someone is spamming and the auto-aim takes over, it makes me mad. I have recently started playing Reach again but only ZB playlists. It still isn't great because of jetpacks and armor lock, but its better.

As a long time Halo fan, the best Halo game was Halo 2. It put the video game industry on the map. I feel 343 needs to revert back to the style of play in Halo 2. Bring back classic maps like Lockout, Midship, Coagulation/Blood Gulch, and Warlock/Wizard, instead of relying on players to forge them. Take weapons away like the needle rifle and add the old Carbine, the 4 shot BR, and if they feel generous, the BXR and doubleshot. I know the latter two were glitches but they actually became part of the game and were allowed on the MLG Pro Circuit at the time. It was so gratifying to be low on shields and kill someone with a simple BXR.

Maybe I'm crazy but after two crappy releases like ODST and Reach, I find myself looking back at the good times I had at LAN parties playing Halo:CE and Halo 2 wishing to do it again. So bottom line, 343, look at how Halo 2 made it the pinnacle of Bungie's existence. The maps, the PURE gameplay with no armor abilities or bloom, and please, if possible, the BXR and doubleshot.

It's just so funny how opinions change. I loved ODST and Reach and thought they were the best Halo's yet.

I don't see the big deal about the TU it didn't make that big of a change. If that is whats bringing people back then WOW!!!!!!!!

I don't see the big deal about the TU it didn't make that big of a change. If that is whats bringing people back then WOW!!!!!!!!

Its the only reason. If 343i hadnt remade anniversary so well and hadnt made a TU I wouldnt be commenting on these forums. I thought the developers were throwing away Halo, but 343i obviously loves the title and I feel that we can trust them with Halo4. THAT is how important the TU is. Also, many of the changes were beg by fans in the first months of release. Many many many people left Reach and refused to return until their problems had been fixed or the game become more of the classic Halo. If youve noticed, reach's population has doubled.

Its the only reason. If 343i hadnt remade anniversary so well and hadnt made a TU I wouldnt be commenting on these forums. I thought the developers were throwing away Halo, but 343i obviously loves the title and I feel that we can trust them with Halo4. THAT is how important the TU is. Also, many of the changes were beg by fans in the first months of release. Many many many people left Reach and refused to return until their problems had been fixed or the game become more of the classic Halo. If youve noticed, reach's population has doubled.

That may be true, but all I am saying is that the gameplay seems pretty much the same to me. The TU didn't make any huge changes that I really noticed. It has not made me like it more or less. With or without the TU the game is just as fun for me to play either way.

I know this is America and all but, if you're just going to ***** about Halo, do it on some sort of Anti-Halo website, not on the community forum.

I think that the TU should not have gotten rid of bloom, but tweaked it a little so your reticle wasn't doubling with every shot. They should maybe have left bloom out of the accuarcy weapons because I have noticed that both the sniper and the DMR are harder to use than the BR and sniper were in Halo 3, I don't see the need for armor lock to be put out, just maybe make it something you can only use in a situation of death. Make it span shorter and make it less effective. I'm sick of missing kills because of armor lock spams. Anyway what I'm basically trying to say is don't trash it, but tweak it. Like Bungie did with H2 to H3, it's the same game but with a fair few tweaks.

I think that the TU should not have gotten rid of bloom, but tweaked it a little so your reticle wasn't doubling with every shot. They should maybe have left bloom out of the accuarcy weapons because I have noticed that both the sniper and the DMR are harder to use than the BR and sniper were in Halo 3, I don't see the need for armor lock to be put out, just maybe make it something you can only use in a situation of death. Make it span shorter and make it less effective. I'm sick of missing kills because of armor lock spams. Anyway what I'm basically trying to say is don't trash it, but tweak it. Like Bungie did with H2 to H3, it's the same game but with a fair few tweaks.

The title update doesn't completely remove bloom. It reduces it by 15%. All playlists with the TU changes in effect use 85% bloom, so you must be talking about the ZB playlist. The DMR is harder to use than the BR, but to me that means that it takes more skill to use. There's a larger area of error, so I have to time my shots properly as well as aim properly. The sniper rifle isn't affected by bloom at all. By the time your bloom/spread has reset, that is when you're able to finally take the next shot anyway. It doesn't really affect the sniper rifle. They have tweaked armour lock now. You can reduce the time a player may spend in it by shooting them, tossing grenades at them, etc. Stickies will no longer be shed if the person is stuck before going into armour lock, resulting in the AL player dying. I don't believe the time for armour lock needs to be reduced with those changes. It only lasts five seconds, and it lasts even shorter when you do what I've stated above.

The Sniper Rifle is easier to use purely because head hitboxes seem to be slightly larger than in previous games and players move a lot slower - it's easier to track your target. As Mystic said, it doesn't have anything to do with bloom unless you're playing with Bottomless Clip on, and even then only if you really spam the heck out of it for a very long time.