Minecraft to Become First Xbox 360 Game to Receive "Constant Updates"

Spectral Jester

The XBLA version of Minecraft will be the first game on the system to receive "constant updates," according to developers 4J Studios.

Thanks to Microsoft's content authorisation process, it currently takes time to get updates through the system and live to users. But that's all about to change, 4J's chief technology officer Paddy Burns told Edge.

"Microsoft knows that to do a similar thing that's on PC where they constantly update it, that's a very difficult thing to do on Xbox because you have to go through the full tests," he said. "But they are quite keen to move towards that - they do see it as the future, so I think we might be the first to do constant updates."

The updates, however, won't be coming as thick and fast as in the PC version of the game. "I don't think it'll ever come to that," said Burns. "I think that there will always be Microsoft testing involved."

"But the whole turnaround of that testing they're hoping to speed up, so we can maybe roll out every two months. We'll have to see how that goes... I'm really looking forward to it being updated with patches and new features after it's released."

Burns also revealed that the version that will hit XBLA at launch will contain everything in PC beta release 1.6.6.

I just might pick this up when it comes out. I already have the PC version (which will always be the superior version of course), but I wouldn't mind playing this on my console. I have to wonder though, will we be able to set/create custom skins and share worlds? I'm sure we'll be able to play multiplayer, as that's one of the biggest draws of Minecraft, I think. I have to say though, two months seems like forever to update the game. I'm just really hoping we'll be able to set/create custom skins. I have two or three that I'd just love to use. T _ T

Those games, from what I've played and seen, are nowhere near as good as Minecraft. You'd probably have more fun with MC than one of those cheap imitations.
true altho i never really built anything just looked for the raygun and shot things lol i cba. i will most likely get it i guess.

true altho i never really built anything just looked for the raygun and shot things lol i cba. i will most likely get it i guess.

The PC version, if you're able to get it, is around 30 USD. If you ever find yourself having the opportunity to purchase it, do so. I guarantee you'll enjoy it if you enjoy those imitations. You're able to set your own skin, create your own skin, set up your own server, play on other servers, etc. It's a very fun and addictive game.

• 2 weeks later...

The PC version, if you're able to get it, is around 30 USD. If you ever find yourself having the opportunity to purchase it, do so. I guarantee you'll enjoy it if you enjoy those imitations. You're able to set your own skin, create your own skin, set up your own server, play on other servers, etc. It's a very fun and addictive game.

And also have the chance to make really cool stuff also! :D

• 2 weeks later...