Something interesting

The Director

Alright, before I begin, all of this is just rumor so far. If I get updates I will share them if I can.

I was talking with one of my friends who is a Microsoft Developer, and he told me that the Kinect is stage one in a plan to make games more realistic than ever before. He said that Microsoft was basically waiting for television technology to catch up so that they can finally release a system that is completely 3D and uses the players body as a controller. We were watching the movie Gamer, and that's how this came up.

He said that they would be combining VR technology with some other things that I can't really spell to make a game system that will do almost anything (within reason) and that he doesn't know when it will come out, but 2020 is a good estimate for it.

Discuss.

Oh no, you won't have to buy a Kinect lol it will be a console. A complete, stand-alone, console. He also said that they are working on a more realistic FPS system that involves a helmet with a screen inside that you wear (sound familiar? lol), but he said he doubts that will go anywhere.

Sounds very interesting. I personally don't like playing games with the kinect, though it can be fun at times, but usually when I play games I want to relax and sit down not stand up and be active, that's what the outdoors is for. As far as the helmet VR thing, I hope for one it's not like the Virtual Boy lol :) That and I personally wouldn't like having to wear a helmet which most likely will be fairly heavy and uncomfortable if playing for any length of time. I like that they are working towards a no glasses 3d set up since one of the reasons I don't care for 3d is that I already wear glasses and two pair is very uncomfortable.

Thanks for the interesting topic!

Oh no, you won't have to buy a Kinect lol it will be a console. A complete, stand-alone, console. He also said that they are working on a more realistic FPS system that involves a helmet with a screen inside that you wear (sound familiar? lol), but he said he doubts that will go anywhere.

Well if that does happen, I'll have to dip into my college savings!

We can already do this, as long as you are a proficient programmer and have the Kinect SDk that Microsoft released. I can write a 3d world app and use the Kinect to interface with a virtual desktop, it hardly seems new. Are you sure you understood the rumor correctly, or maybe it got twisted a tiny bit? No offense is meant, I am just pointing out that if this is what Microsoft is doing right now with Kinect, then they are waaaaaay behind the homebrew community.

We can already do this, as long as you are a proficient programmer and have the Kinect SDk that Microsoft released. I can write a 3d world app and use the Kinect to interface with a virtual desktop, it hardly seems new. Are you sure you understood the rumor correctly, or maybe it got twisted a tiny bit? No offense is meant, I am just pointing out that if this is what Microsoft is doing right now with Kinect, then they are waaaaaay behind the homebrew community.

LOL Nononono, the Kinect is just stage one. Like... I guess testing the waters to see if there is a market for full-body using games. And I probably did get things a little twisted (as is the case with most rumors). I don't think they will be using old fashioned VR though. That's the part where the TVs come in. I have no idea what they will be doing, all I know is that they will be doing something involving such things...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...