Ideas for Armor Abilities in Halo 4

RedStarRocket91

This thread sounds like we are trying to make a new call of duty/ reach hybrid. Sounds interesting but I dont think 343 will take any chances on h4. It actually scares me because everyone has a completely different idea of what halo 4 should be. Either way, we will have some upset fans. All I ask is for Halo 4 to be fun and have some replayability like halo 1-3. If they mess H4 up, halo will never be the same. There are plenty of games hoping to steal our population away from the halo universe. If halo 4 is half ass it could be bad for the future of halo. I know im not buying a reach 2.0, all.that game did was polute our fans minds of what halo GAMES are. I gave reach many chances but it just doesn't compare to the first three games. Like I said, these ideas could pass for a reach 2 but I just dont see it being in h4. Now proceed to flame me lol

• Like 2

Some great ideas, dont get me wrong but that is not what im hoping halo 4 will be. This would be cool if they ever made a Reach 2. I want a direct continuation of halo 3 and maybe add some small things to spice it up. No offense but I dont want alll these loadouts in halo anymore, this isnt cod or bf3, its F-in Halo man and when I say halo I mean halo 1,2, and 3 . I dont put Reach in my book of true halo games and there for want none of the gameplay to roll over from reach to h4. Im so ready to retire AA's and loadouts and get back to some real halo.

Exactly, no armor abilities in halo 4, this is halo not Call of Doody Mondern gay fudge stupid

• Like 1

I like you ideas, and i think that they would work really well in Reach is implemented now, however, it's too late to change anything so drastically. The difference that a button press and a button held down can change something so drastically is a cool idea, and the abilites and their corresponding button configs were a well thought-out. I personally believe that Armor lock can be saved, and not by how 343i currently "fixed" it. Armor lock was a stricly anti-vehicle AA when the game was being conceptualized. It prevented you from being splatterd. The nullification of all damage is actually fair. The fact that you can come out of it at any time, go back into it, is unfair, as well as the EMP. The EMP might've been implemented to prevent any vehicles from lingering around the player, so it was reasonable.

Armor lock can be asved by removing the EMP, and making it a one-time use AA, meaning that the moment you press that button, you'r commited to it and must stay in it for a fill energy drain. Ememies lingering around can time that second sticky or 'nade. This will returnit to an anti-vehicle AA, nullifying splatters if timed correctly.

Still, OP, i like your ideas and if there were to be a Reach sequel with AAs, this would be the way to do it.

• Like 1

Thanks, firedune!

I agree that a lot of the problems people have with Armor Abilities are probably based on Armor Lock, rather than their existence as a whole. I like the idea of returning it to a dedicated anti-vehicle role, or for surviving things like rockets or plasma grenades - it's just too frustrating that users can use it to win close-quarters battles with that stupid EMP-melee combo, especially against people with Energy Swords or Gravity Hammers.

I'm not sure about using up a full charge per press, though. One of the other big problems people have is that Armor Lock can be used to restart a fight that has been lost, so unless its use time is cut down, it might be better to have it so that it locks for half the energy bar's length and can thus be used twice, but allowing for damage inbetween activations.

well if you want my opinion then.... xP

The idea is great! Someone said having a difference between a press and push is actually a great way of being strategical. Its actually used in Gears3, with running and sprinting. I hope 343i sees this and makes a game based on your idea. But please, not part of Halo or H4.

Offense:

The push back isnt effective against anything, maybe splatters. But good players will just avoid splatters anyway. Radar jamming is a useful tool, but it would promote camping again. If you hide in a flag area, and use jammer whenever an enemy runs into your area, they will have no idea where you are and you can easily get the first shots.

Defense:

Cloaking or cammo CANNOT be part of AAs. It makes camping easy, especially if the other team doesnt know theres an invisible person around. But invincibility must return. Instead it should do 2 things, it should only last 1 second, so it takes skill to use. And it must use up all of your shields, so if your shields are consumed you cant use it. This stop the annoying armorlocking people do now and makes surviving a rocket or splatter a fair tradeoff.

Mobility:

This is unbalanced vs any other combo. Evade and sprinting is useful in EVERY fight. From dodging tanks, to DMR battles, to getting the sniper first. Either it must be inherent to every player, or not included at all.

Aerial:

Long jump sounds like a great addition. People who fail will know it was solely their fault, and it would hilarious to watch people sail off and die against a wall. "Fails of the Weak here I come!" I personally love jet packs, but I dont think it should be an AA. That or it must be implimented in a different fashion.

Not trying to shoot down your ideas here man, just want to refine it. Im trying to think of what abilities, in halo or not, that would make great and balanced abilities. And its always easier to shot down ideas that come up with them.

All we know so far is that the jet pack WILL make a return in halo 4, I like this because I thought jetpack was pretty realistic and completely NOT FOR NOOBS! What 343 should do is get rid of abilities and do this.

1. Bring back equipment. The jetpack should be available for pick up in the campaign and on the multiplayer maps, like a weapon. It woud have limited fuel (like a real one) and be useless after it was used up. This would also be true for drop shield and some of the best equipment items from halo 3, like power drain and portable cover.

2. Sprint and evade should be taken for granted! What super soldier can't run or dive out of harms way. I way to implement this would be to use the left bumper (or different controls) to initiate a dive or sprint. Holding the button for .5 seconds would start you running while tapping if would cause you to dive in which ever direction you are moving the left stick. Obviously the distance dived wouldn't be a far as evade, maybe half the distance, maybe More like the rolling you can do in mass effect. Use of this new mobility would be limited. 2 or three dives would use it oil as would 75 m of sprinting.

Armor lock (if it returns(hopefully not)) should ONLY be available in BTB playlist, it is simply to annoying in team slayer or FFA when you can out maneuver a guy only to have him armor lock and deny you your kill. This is especially annoying if they AL when you sword lung, then melee and go back in to AL. Agree?