343 Trying To Pull Players Back in With New Magnum Skins in Halo 5

Drizzy_Dan

Just when you thought you were done with Halo 5: Guardians forever, 343 puts out some very nice Magnum skins to lure you right back in. While some players have lost the resolve to play the game, I personally will be trying to get these just because I'm a hardo. 

The Magnum Skins are obtainable by winning games in Halo 5:

gallery_19087_31_55976.jpg

As you can see, the skins have wins attached to them which is a good sign for the future of earning cosmetics and commendations. These M6H-2 Skins are part of the new Targetmaster Commendation in Halo 5. Everyone starts at 0/75 from the first tier so no one is grandfathered into these.

And as a bonus, 343 Industries has also given us something far more appealing in a game that is much more popular right now: the Master Chief Collection! These special nameplates are seen on the player's GamerTag in the lobby of MCC and the way to obtain each has been conveniently listed under each of them.

gallery_19087_31_23963.jpg

So what do you guys think, should we have had theses Magnum skins a year ago when Halo 5 was thriving competitively? How are you liking the looks of these skins and nameplates? Discuss below!

Screenshots provided by Greenskull on Twitter.

• Like 4

Great post Drizzy, love what 343 are doing with those skins. Not because they look good, but because of how they're unlocked. A win-counter's a great idea, far better than REQs. Reminds me of commendations back in Halo 4, that was a much better unlock system. This may be a good sign for Infinite's multiplayer, I sure hope it is.

• Like 3

On the one hand, I can respect stretching out skins so that they feel like an achievement.

On the other hand - that really is a lot of wins to unlock all of the skins. If it had been Magnum kills or something then yeah, fair enough, but even assuming you win half your matches (as you should if the matchmaking system is doing its job), then you're looking at 1300 games to unlock all of the skins. Assuming ten minutes per match and then two minutes of downtime between matches, which is pretty conservative for non-US locations where matchmaking times are significantly longer, and you're looking at about two hundred and sixty hours of playtime, just to get all the skins.

It's definitely encouraging to see something new added to the game which can actually be reliably obtained rather than having to swim through all the sewage in the REQ pool, but those really are very, very steep requirements, especially so late into Halo 5's lifespan. At 75 wins, the first skin alone is going to take somewhere in the region of 30 hours of gameplay to achieve, and I think most people who aren't already playing Halo 5 aren't going to care nearly enough about a simple cosmetic to put that kind of time in. Five wins for the first one - something you could feasibly do in a couple hours of play one evening - would have a much better chance of actually pulling in a few extra players.

• Like 3

On the one hand, I can respect stretching out skins so that they feel like an achievement.

On the other hand - that really is a lot of wins to unlock all of the skins. If it had been Magnum kills or something then yeah, fair enough, but even assuming you win half your matches (as you should if the matchmaking system is doing its job), then you're looking at 1300 games to unlock all of the skins.

Someone's been keeping up on Twitter!

Agreed though. I have yet to share my own thoughts on this but my questions were already reflective of what I was thinking. We should have had something like this a long time ago- it is way too late in Halo 5's lifespan for casual play to be releasing something worth so many hours of gameplay. Half these wins and maybe we're on to something. 

Someone's been keeping up on Twitter!

Agreed though. I have yet to share my own thoughts on this but my questions were already reflective of what I was thinking. We should have had something like this a long time ago- it is way too late in Halo 5's lifespan for casual play to be releasing something worth so many hours of gameplay. Half these wins and maybe we're on to something. 

Ashamed to admit, but I actually haven't! I just ran the numbers myself from what you linked in the OP, lol.

343's attempts to get people back into the game have always struck me as a bit... odd. I remember a while back (might have been HCS?) there was something where they publicly gave out a code for some special goodies during the stream. But I tried to redeem it about a half hour after the stream was over, and it had already expired. Just, why would you even put a time limit on something like that, let alone one so short? They should be doing everything they can to get people back onto Halo 5 given its dwindling population, especially for things like skins that they're giving away for free anyway. And yet they insist on hiding their incentives away behind a grind wall or ridiculous time constraints. Makes me wonder what the overall strategy is, you know?

Ashamed to admit, but I actually haven't! I just ran the numbers myself from what you linked in the OP, lol.

343's attempts to get people back into the game have always struck me as a bit... odd. I remember a while back (might have been HCS?) there was something where they publicly gave out a code for some special goodies during the stream. But I tried to redeem it about a half hour after the stream was over, and it had already expired. Just, why would you even put a time limit on something like that, let alone one so short? They should be doing everything they can to get people back onto Halo 5 given its dwindling population, especially for things like skins that they're giving away for free anyway. And yet they insist on hiding their incentives away behind a grind wall or ridiculous time constraints. Makes me wonder what the overall strategy is, you know?

:( 

And yea they actually still give out Platinum REQ Packs and Gold REQ Packs during HCS streams that expire after 10 minutes. It's more of a way to get viewers than to actually allow players to get the REQs lol. Their timing... I mean they just got MLG back January this year. THIS year. When everyone is all but done with Halo 5.

• Like 1

And yea they actually still give out Platinum REQ Packs and Gold REQ Packs during HCS streams that expire after 10 minutes. It's more of a way to get viewers than to actually allow players to get the REQs lol. Their timing... I mean they just got MLG back January this year. THIS year. When everyone is all but done with Halo 5.

It just seems like such a short-sighted approach, you know? I mean yeah, I get that they want to bring viewers in, but like... surely the only reason the vast majority of people who care about HCS do so, is because they play Halo themselves? I know some people who don't play Halo anymore might still keep up with HCS, but I'd expect that the overall number of people who actually care about HCS enough to watch it to be based mostly on the number of people who currently play the game. So the best way to increase the number of people watching HCS would be, get more people actually playing Halo.

343's attempts to get people back into the game have always struck me as a bit... odd. I remember a while back (might have been HCS?) there was something where they publicly gave out a code for some special goodies during the stream. But I tried to redeem it about a half hour after the stream was over, and it had already expired. Just, why would you even put a time limit on something like that, let alone one so short? They should be doing everything they can to get people back onto Halo 5 given its dwindling population, especially for things like skins that they're giving away for free anyway. And yet they insist on hiding their incentives away behind a grind wall or ridiculous time constraints. Makes me wonder what the overall strategy is, you know?

I don't think that 343's real objective here with the skins is to bring people back to Halo 5. The population on Halo 5 is not going to ever get back to even being close to what it was a year ago, but thats ok. This is just my theory, but I think the magnum skin drop is just to cover their bases. I think they intend to have people busy on MCC until Infinite drops, and have Halo 5 serve more as a distraction from MCC. If they really wanted to get people back on H5 they wouldn't have pushed people back onto MCC recently.

Just my idea though

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I know I'm reviving a dead thread, but this is something I'm hoping to see in Infinite. I loved in Call of Duty when they had the skin unlocks in ration to certain amount of kills with that weapon. It really made me want to work towards a goal and having something to show for it in game. I really don't like the unlock system they have in Halo 5 and same with Overwatch where it's nothing but a gacha system with a random chance at anything.

• Like 1