Site Poll 93: Who's your favourite Captain/Shipmaster?

Ranger Intel

oAEBUiG.png

Hi everyone, Spartan here with Site Poll 93.

Last week we talked about your favourite ships, both Covenant or UNSC. We had many great mentions that certainly make for an interesting read. Click here to view the last poll, 92.

2955718983_1_11_LlMieL8B.jpg

Who's your favourite Captain/Shipmaster?

Both Captain and Shipmaster mean the same thing. The head of the vessel. The leader. One term's more commonly used with the Covenant, whilst the other with UNSC personnel. Not that "Captain" in this case simply refers to the ship's CO, not the rank. A Ship Captain may be an Admiral or a Commander, whoever's best suited at the time of appointment.

There are many names to list. Hood. 'Vadum. Cole. Von. Some more moral than others, but they all had a brave heart when it came to their ship and crew. Some are long gone, others remain alive. Who stands out to you the most though?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts,

Spartan out.     :yay:

• Like 5

My favorite captain is Del Rio. 

maxresdefault.jpg

"Why," you might ask? 

Captain Del Rio is perhaps one of the few examples in the Halo Universe of 'bad leadership', and with so many example of good leadership - Keyes, Locke, Cutter, Sgt. Johnson, Marty O'Donnell - it is good to have the complement to that. 

Sometimes, you should learn what to do by first seeing what not to do. 

• Like 5

maxresdefault.jpg

"Why," you might ask? 

Captain Del Rio is perhaps one of the few examples in the Halo Universe of 'bad leadership', and with so many example of good leadership - Keyes, Locke, Cutter, Sgt. Johnson, Marty O'Donnell - it is good to have the complement to that. 

Del Rio is not my favorite, but I will play devil's advocate here. 

Lets not forget that had Del Rio obtained the chip, Cortana couldn't have destroyed like literally everything. So you know....

My favorite captain, is not a proper ship commander but Palmer, namely when she crashes her pelican. Woman drivers amirite?

• Like 4

Loving the posts guys.

maxresdefault.jpg

"Why," you might ask? 

Only a Delpen could provide this response.

• Like 2

I really liked Delpen's response honestly. However, as much as I pick on Yoshi, I have to say that his response is dead wrong. Palmer has the rank of Commander and this is specifically about naval ship captains or Shipmasters. Come on @Yoshi1176

Uh... OP says whoever is best suited at the time. Given it was Palmer and Halsey and Halsey has a missing arm I would go as far as to say that Palmer WAS in fact the best suited in that situation. A real answer for me would be Keyes, for the reason you have given but I didn’t want to double down on that.

• Like 2

I pick Lasky. He has a unique and daunting challenge ahead of him, as he has to develop tactics to defeat the remainder of the Covenant, hordes of Prometheans, and rampant AIs who can predict his every move and effectively cripple humanity's computer networks and electronics. Despite all of this, he keeps his cool and stays levelheaded.

• Like 3

Uh... OP says whoever is best suited at the time. Given it was Palmer and Halsey and Halsey has a missing arm I would go as far as to say that Palmer WAS in fact the best suited in that situation. A real answer for me would be Keyes, for the reason you have given but I didn’t want to double down on that.

For what situation though? I don't recall any situation where there's only Palmer and Halsey in charge of a ship. I thought Palmer was a joke when you posted it, she's certainly not an option. She's not even in the Navy, her Commander rank is exclusive to the Spartan branch.

• Like 2

For what situation though? I don't recall any situation where there's only Palmer and Halsey in charge of a ship. I thought Palmer was a joke when you posted it, she's certainly not an option. She's not even in the Navy, her Commander rank is exclusive to the Spartan branch.

The instance I am referring to is in Halo 5 when everyone is on Sunaion. As far as I remember, it was just Halsey and Palmer on the pelican that crashed (besides maybe some elites).

Palmer as a choice was a joke but I decided to double down and support it though, even though that is not my real choice for the poll. I am aware that her rank isn't in the sense that you were looking for, but I took the "whoever is best suited" part of your topic post as a loophole. Because technically, she was in command of the ship, and best suited for the matter. In the end your interpretation of your own topic is what really matters but thats just where I was coming from. 

• Like 1

The instance I am referring to is in Halo 5 when everyone is on Sunaion. As far as I remember, it was just Halsey and Palmer on the pelican that crashed (besides maybe some elites).

Palmer as a choice was a joke but I decided to double down and support it though, even though that is not my real choice for the poll. I am aware that her rank isn't in the sense that you were looking for, but I took the "whoever is best suited" part of your topic post as a loophole. Because technically, she was in command of the ship, and best suited for the matter. In the end your interpretation of your own topic is what really matters but thats just where I was coming from. 

It's not my interpretation, it's the actual topic. Pelicans aren't ships, they're dropships. Just like how an amphibious military vehicle is to a ship. You don't have Captains of Pelicans. You have the pilot, and the passengers (troops).

• Like 1

Again, this is a really hard Poll. Great work as always, Spartan!

Just for some variety though I'm going to vote for Rtas, without him and Thel acting as the catalysts for the Great Schism Halo might not be the same as we know it today. Plus, you know, he's an awesome Flee/Shipt Master. As we've seen demonstrated.   

• Like 3

• 2 years later...

@Drizzy_Dan 

El 18/9/2018 a las 6:38, Drizzy_Dan dijo:

Mi capitán de barco favorito es el hombre que ha imaginado allí, el capitán Keyes. En Fall of Reach aprendes mucho sobre él como persona y su mente táctica juega un papel muy importante. Como inventor del absolutamente legendario Keyes Loop, siempre será recordado como el mejor para mí.

Para mí también bro, opino lo mismo.