Halo Infinite

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2F

Here we'll be discussing all things Halo Infinite, and there's a lot to discuss.

Now besides the first three quarters looking like a stunning nature documentary, Halo Infinite's announcement at Microsoft's 2018 E3 conference has left us with a lot of questions.

Ok so lets start by assuming that this indeed is after the events Halo 5, because that's what 343 have implied so far. Does that make this game Halo 6? I was expecting two games to be revealed, Halo 6 and another (most likely FPS) Halo title. We got one short announcement, that has left us filled with awe, and confusion. I'm sure we're all really interested to hear more about Infinite, because so far things aren't clear at all, and all we can do is speculate. We're also assuming the Spartan seen at the end is John-117.

Now, two things that stand out about John are that 1) he's in Mk VI MJOLNIR armour and 2) he slots in an AI chip. Another interesting things to note, is that they're clearly on a Halo ring, with pulsing structures that resemble those seen on Installation 04 in Halo: Combat Evolved.

The way I see it, there are three possibilities:

1) This is not canon footage. This is just a way to demo the new 'Slipspace' gaming engine for future Halo games. Halo Infinite is to be the first Halo title utilising this engine, and this announcement is basically a hype/flex by 343. A very good one, it is. There may be no canon story in that footage, none of what we say may actually be happening. John putting the AI in, might just be shown to induce hype and because it looks good.

2) This is actually GEN2 Mark VI armour, as seen in 5, but 343 are scrapping that visually modified version completely. This isn't ridiculous, because it's what they did from Halo 3 to 4, and people don't riot over it. I think the Halo 4 Mk VI helmet looks good as well, and it's not an artistic change, the helmet does actually look that way after Cortana used nanobot technology to repair and reform parts of the armour after Halo 3's ending. Maybe it now is an artistic change, and 343 are suggesting that the Halo 3's armour design was canonically the one seen in Halo 4 and 5, but they just displayed it differently for those two games. He could be wearing armour seen in Halo 5, with a repaired/new helmet, but 343 chose to go back to the previous art style (if this case is true, then they would be art styles and not actually different designs).

3) That is Mark VI GEN1 MJOLNIR, and there's a reason Chief is back in it. Better be a good one. There's also a reason for the AI being slotted into his helmet, either it's Cortana or another one he's using.

Now, 3) is probably the most popular belief, as people are already trying to find explanations. I think 2), despite being possible, is unlikely, because it'll cause a lot of disagreement in the community. People will get confused, though it may work in the long run. Possibility 1) is kind of likely, this announcement may just be another E3 2013 teaser (see Site Poll 80). If I had to pick one, I'd say they'll go with case 3), but I'm really curious about explanations.

We also have no idea about the nature of the game. What Installation is that? Where are they? Is this an FPS? Is it Halo 6? When's it set?

Share your thoughts and questions, let me know which possibility you think is most likely, and if you're aware of any other likely possibility. Watch the footage here:

343ICF, lets discuss Halo Infinite.

Edit: Had to replace a) and b ) with 1) and 2) because 'b' with a ')' directly after is a smiley.

Edited by UNSC Spartan-II
  • Like 5

Before I get into anything, that slipspace engine is not only incredibly impressive, but also fitting for the Halo franchise :P

I kinda get an open world feeling from it, but I'm not too sure how well an open world Halo game would be, although I could be proven wrong. It also seems interesting from a story standpoint especially at the end with the AI chip. I don't believe it to be Cortana but it's all speculation and I want answers!

More on the engine, it looks really freakin good! Especially in 60fps the game itself looks amazing, although the little Rhino scene for me seemed a bit off and that was my biggest issue with it, and it's incredibly minor. The visual effects are top, the lighting looks soooooooooooooo good and the few night scenes we got looked really impressive for me.

I also like how Master Chief has a fresh sleek look again, and by doing that it looks like it's a continuation of Halo 5, so it could be Halo 6, we never know :P

• Like 2

One word... DISSAPOINTED     He heard a lot of chatter and flac about how Microsoft is commited to the PC gaming genre as well as their plans to nuture the PC community.  THIS IS NOT WHAT WE WANTED!   The Slipspace Engine is a graphical improvement over the Blam! Engine that has been used for the past almost 20 years yes.  Is it on par with Cryengine, UDK or even Frostbite...no.  But for Halo in general it is a good clean slate to work from.

Just a personal quarl here, but I think it's really sh**ty for them to tease about a Halo offshoot 2 years out!

For those of you who don't know much about nor spend time "in" the PC Halo community, allow me to lay out what I mean by "not what the PC community wanted".  Ever since the launch of Halo 2 Vista, the PC community has asked and wanted a fully realized halo game for the PC with actuual full custom content development support.  We have clamoured for a true halo expereince that embraced all the great features of the past such as clans, campaign, online multiplayer and ranks that are directly refelctive of what the console players get.

Halo Infinite is NOT that, it is something much different.  This is just another way for MS to say to the PC community that they are delivering on their promise to support us and give us what we want.  I realize it's early to ***** about it, but the trailer does nothing to show what they mean, nor does the site and trailer explain how and what we will be getting.  In order for any future Halo game to really deliver on their decades old promise, the PC game needs to have the following...

- Client hosted servers

- Custom Content Creation Pipeline

- Halo CE-Reach style matchmaking

- Campaign (think MCC expansive, the community really wants H3)

- Free to Play capability.  No lIVE subsciption or 3rd Party pay wall blocking online play

- Server management tools for dealing with bans, hacking, etc...

- Friends Lists similar to Live

Edited by Twinreaper
  • Like 5

It's promising with the old art style back, however that won't mean anything if the gameplay is garbage now will it?

- Hopes for it to retain classic Halo elements.

- Hopes for an actual well written campaign.

- Hopes for a classic armor system and be rid of RNG stuff.

- Most importantly I want a full fledged PC port and not a "Infinite forge PC"

Like I said though, we will just have to wait and see what 343 delivers. If they are wise which I'm assuming they are, they will roll out a beta for testing the client/game/bugs and whatnot. VERY important is player feedback BEFORE launch.

*Final thoughts,

- Looks promising, and ambitious.

- Loving the old artstyle.

- Teaser was certainly well made and definitely exciting.

Let's just hope they can revive Halo with Infinite because otherwise I think they are sinking their own ship.

miku_hatsune_madoka_kaname_and_master_ch

Edited by Melody
  • Like 3

Ever since I was 13 actually, carry on friends.

A woman of class. I respect your choice of Miku figma.

Personally I think Halo Infinite has the potential to try to mend the community even if its just a little. It could appeal to "classic Halo" fans and more modern (if thats the word) fans.

This time it seems Microsoft wont stick their noses in and force release dates. With a longer development cycle this has (and Halo 6 has), 343 could make a good game. I really hope the new writer whoever they are continues the general story direction with the AI revolution . I hope it is executed well and I believe 343 can do it this time.

Infinite is really that kind of "last chance" in my eyes. If 343 mess this up, I see the majority of the community turning away for good. I only hope Infinite is a huge success to keep this community alive despite how toxic it is sometimes.

• Like 4

I'm anxious about 343i promising us too much. I hate to be hyped with great looking trailers but getting graphical cuts when the product is being sold.

I really hope they are not promising too much again.

Concerning the armor. I liked all armors of John so far. What I don't like is the explanation. Nanobots repaired and changed the armor... seriously?

It would have been much more elegant if Chief had gotten his new armor after entering the Infinity in Halo 4. But having a new armor out of nowhere and giving such a weird explanation to it is just bollocks.

• Like 1

Concerning the armor. I liked all armors of John so far. What I don't like is the explanation. Nanobots repaired and changed the armor... seriously?

It would have been much more elegant if Chief had gotten his new armor after entering the Infinity in Halo 4. But having a new armor out of nowhere and giving such a weird explanation to it is just bollocks.

You're a little off by saying it's "out of nowhere". Yes, nanobots, problem? Nanotech exists today, would be a little concerning if we didn't have any improvements in it over 500 years from now.

Quote: "Any damage that the titanium armor plating suffers can be repaired by built-in, triply-redundant subsystems. These systems are receptive to nanomachines facilitating the repair"

The auto-repair system and Cortana on-board, I can't see why that's "just bollocks".

You're a little off by saying it's "out of nowhere". Yes, nanobots, problem? Nanotech exists today, would be a little concerning if we didn't have any improvements in it over 500 years from now.

Quote: "Any damage that the titanium armor plating suffers can be repaired by built-in, triply-redundant subsystems. These systems are receptive to nanomachines facilitating the repair"

The auto-repair system and Cortana on-board, I can't see why that's "just bollocks".

Yeah, I was exaggerating. I can admit with the fact having things repaired by nano technology... but I simply do not like the explanation of nanobots changing the looks of the armor. Even if done by Cortana.

343i  gave the explanation after people were complaining about it and it seems to me 343i simply searched for a quick and easy explanation because they forgot to make up their mind about it from the beginning with.

Am I making false conclusions?

Maybe I misunderstood over overheard a few things because I am no native speaker.

Thank you for the video  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Yeah, I was exaggerating. I can admit with the fact having things repaired by nano technology... but I simply do not like the explanation of nanobots changing the looks of the armor. Even if done by Cortana.

343i  gave the explanation after people were complaining about it and it seems to me 343i simply searched for a quick and easy explanation because they forgot to make up their mind about it from the beginning with.

Am I making false conclusions?

Maybe I misunderstood over overheard a few things because I am no native speaker.

Thank you for the video  :thumbsup:

It is a fair conclusion, one I agree with, but no matter when 343 said it, that has always been the case. As in even if they only announced that today, or had it planned it since Halo 3, that's how it happens either way.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

i don't know if it is real but i heard halo infinite will have 4 player split screen and there will be custom armor like Reach 

customization like reach will be in it and they confirmed split screen i just dont know how many players it will have however.

I'd like it like a mix between reach and halo 3

customization like halo reach but the way to obtain them is like halo 3. you have to get certain achievements or complete certain challenges to get a certain armor piece

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I watched the 20 min Multiplayer Overview vid and I think it looks pretty good. There are some things I found questionable but the competitive community will find a way. Hopefully MLG will pick up Halo again. Overall it looks like they want to try to re-create some of the best feelings from previous Halos but in a Halo 5/Reach mixture-looking game. That doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be bad though (Halo 5 MP is my second favorite MP overall). They also did a great job addressing community desires clearly. No lootboxes, tons of customization. They're taking the existing multiplayer business model and trying to adapt it into their own thing based on good feedback from their MCC seasons - basically doing what Rocket League is doing for the most part.

• 5 months later...

The game is very impressive with its mechanics, everything feels so nicely tuned, game looks amazing on ultrawide, if there weren't issues with progression/battlepass i'd be throwing my money at it haha.
Its a shame though that there are so many small issues that let it down, presume the devs are looking into it:

• People don't want to play certain game modes so they ignore the objectives.
  • Many players leaving at the start of the match.
  • Get dropped into a game thats nearly finished or the other team is being destroyed (maybe a veto forfeit button would fix this?).
  • Progression is non-existent (aware devs are sorting).
  • Cheaters, to be fair playing on PC I expected it, but it seriously dulls the experience (few threads on reddit with proof).
  • Added drop in to games but ban if you leave too many times because of the above issues.
  • Like 1

Honestly, I have some issues with this game so far.

• Weapon balance/ changes I'd like to see.
    • The plasma sword has no counter. previous halos the shotgun was an excellent counter and the ability to parry.
    • the needler should have better tracking. possibly adding better tracking to the needler could help this?
    • the plasma pistols tracking has been nerfed, effectively removing one of my favorite pistol combos (magnum+plasma pistol)
    • Grenade explosion radius is massive.
    • No classic Equipment/ armour abilities.
    • M41-SPNKER sounds a lot like SPANKER when the announcer says it's available.
  • Armour colors should not be locked behind a pay / unlock wall.
  • I'd Like to see an unlock system similar to reach where you earn xp and can choose what you unlock. even if it is still integrated into the battle pass.
  • the UI for pc is clunky.

Now I do like this game, but I think It needs work. I can tell that they are focusing on a more competitive audience for the multiplayer.

I'd love to hear what others think.

• 4 weeks later...