Site Poll 69: Best cutscene, ever?

Ranger Intel

oAEBUiG.png

Hi everyone, Spartan here with site poll #69.

Last week we talked about what you want most in Halo 6, with members sharing what matters most to them and why. Art style was a popular topic, but there were many other interesting things that usually go unmentioned which were brought up as well. Some great, thought-provoking thoughts, which we can all hope 343 are keeping an eye on. Click here to view the last poll, #68.

TMCC-Halo-4-Infinity-Green-Machine.jpg

Best cutscene, ever?

Whether it's giving the Covenant back their bomb, or knowing what the ladies like, Halo's full off kick-ass cutscenes that spike my adrenaline. Ever since Halo: CE, the franchise has been delivering some of the best scenes in existence, which memorable one-liners and badass sequences. Across all games, and all characters.

One of my favourites has to be Chief's Lich jump at the end of Halo 4's Shutdown, Mission 6. Everything about that scene resonates with me. What scene do you think is best?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts,

Spartan out.     :yay:

• Like 3

The last of Halo 4's in-engine cutscenes. You know the one.

There's that moment, just where the piano kicks in, which gets me in the gut every time. So much emotion wrapped up in that moment - the slow realisation that this is really it. That after everything they've been through, all the firefights they've won, all the injuries they've endured, all the setbacks they've overcome, Cortana is really going to die and there's nothing he can do about it. The last two games up until that point have been about Chief being willing to sacrifice himself to save Cortana - and then, at the very end, with the end literally in sight just a miles below, it gets flipped on its head and she sacrifices herself for him. The last time he was on Earth, he left to bring Cortana back - and now he's returning without her. Spartans may never die, but it's not so true for the people around them.

I love Halo 4's story because it's just so heartbreaking as a player. The antagonist might be the Didact, yeah, but he's not really the story. He's there to give you a reason to shoot things, because that's what the Chief does - he shoots things. But the brilliance of it is, this time he's fighting an enemy you can't just shoot. It's not something you can beat with a well-aimed grenade, or more headshots, or bigger guns. And yet, because he's the best humanity can be, because he loves her, and because he always finds a way, damn it, he really believes right up until the end that he's going to save her.

I love this scene. I really, really love this scene. It's a victory that just feels hollow. It's a moment where he's not the Chief, he's John, and he's watching his best friend die within sight of the cure. You can actually hear his voice crack a little as he begs her to wait, the first time we've ever heard the Chief pleading instead of planning, or resolving. And it still doesn't help. He's left there, alone.

Whatever Halo 4's other failings as a game - hell, whatever its failings as a story - this moment is just perfect.

• Like 4

I was going to post that video link...

So here instead is my favorite Halo TV Trailer.

So here's my favorite cut scene  from the Last of Us, yes I know it's not Halo but it tugs at your heart strings.

I was going to show the death of his daughter Sarah but it's pretty brutal and really sad, so nope.

Edited by Melody
  • Like 3

There's that moment, just where the piano kicks in, which gets me in the gut every time. So much emotion wrapped up in that moment - the slow realisation that this is really it. That after everything they've been through, all the firefights they've won, all the injuries they've endured, all the setbacks they've overcome, Cortana is really going to die and there's nothing he can do about it. The last two games up until that point have been about Chief being willing to sacrifice himself to save Cortana - and then, at the very end, with the end literally in sight just a miles below, it gets flipped on its head and she sacrifices herself for him. The last time he was on Earth, he left to bring Cortana back - and now he's returning without her. Spartans may never die, but it's not so true for the people around them.

I love Halo 4's story because it's just so heartbreaking as a player. The antagonist might be the Didact, yeah, but he's not really the story. He's there to give you a reason to shoot things, because that's what the Chief does - he shoots things. But the brilliance of it is, this time he's fighting an enemy you can't just shoot. It's not something you can beat with a well-aimed grenade, or more headshots, or bigger guns. And yet, because he's the best humanity can be, because he loves her, and because he always finds a way, damn it, he really believes right up until the end that he's going to save her.

I love this scene. I really, really love this scene. It's a victory that just feels hollow. It's a moment where he's not the Chief, he's John, and he's watching his best friend die within sight of the cure. You can actually hear his voice crack a little as he begs her to wait, the first time we've ever heard the Chief pleading instead of planning, or resolving. And it still doesn't help. He's left there, alone.

Whatever Halo 4's other failings as a game - hell, whatever its failings as a story - this moment is just perfect.

Can always rely on you to provide the most detailed contribution to each poll, reading this made the moment even more real. :yay:

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

3VPG1I4.jpgMy fav cut scene is  when in halo 5 when the master chief and Spartan locke did a short fight i just loved watching them both fight to see whos better at hand to hand combat because many people say locke is better because he has a battle riffle and i would say he wins every time if he was a better fighter then cheif HALO 5 GUARDIANS MASTER CHIEF VS AGENT LOCKE FULL ...

3VPG1I4.jpgMy fav cut scene is  when in halo 5 when the master chief and Spartan locke did a short fight i just loved watching them both fight to see whos better at hand to hand combat because many people say locke is better because he has a battle riffle and i would say he wins every time if he was a better fighter then cheif HALO 5 GUARDIANS MASTER CHIEF VS AGENT LOCKE FULL ...

Forgot to add it also shows how far John would go to see/save cortanna (disobeying orders, traveling to places far and wide,ECT. ) 

• Like 2