Where'd everyone go?

Mothy

I mean I know im a little late to this, as its been happening for a long time now.... But really though, where did everyone go? I dont want to start naming off people as I dont want to hurt anyone's feelers by excluding them from the list, but all of the regular people have disappeared. You know who they are. I know i'm apart of the problem, as I don't get on here much, but it just makes me sad to see some of the topic threads that haven't seen anything new for months. And i'm talking about in the general discussion tab, which is the most posted in thread of the general 343i Community section.... (Last post was November 28th) Heck, even the beefy Prev Gen Halo's tab under The Halo Universe, which is at a staggering 11,310 topics, hasnt seen a bit of action since July 3rd, 2017.

I know there's nothing I can do about it and it'll just be like this until whomever pays for the server decides to call it quits, but I just miss the forums and wish they were still as active as they used to be. Im aware of the Discord server, but its not the same. Anyways, ill stop my ranting. Theres nothing that can be done and nothing will ever happen to revive this place. I really do appreciate all of you guys and I sincerely hope the best for ya. It was fun while it lasted

-Your Homie, Dustin

• Like 5

I agree, however I noticed this even back in late 2016 and pretty much most of 2017.

The bitter truth is that the Halo fanbase is slowly dying and people only come here when:

• - A new Halo game is released.
  • - Misinformed that this isn't the real 343 website.

Besides from that it's just been the same 'regulars' who stuck around for all of these years, just to name a few.. Halofollower, Drizzy, RSR, Fishy, Yoshi, etc.

Basically it is what it is, the fact the forum is pretty much like the badlands from Borderlands at this point is because of the lack of interest in Halo anymore, plain and simple.

But what do I know? I'm just a lurker now, I've had my better days as well and I believe the same could be said for some others too.

Edited by Melody
  • Like 4

I don't want go on the Halo 5 hate bandwagon, but I really think it was released in such a way that there is not enough faith or hype for Halo. If Halo 6 goes to the levels of Halo 3 hype, and is actually what it was said, I think the community would resurge. However, that depends on if Halo 6 is actually that ambitious or good.

• Like 1

There is activity because people choose to be active. To no do so is apathy, or to not know what is occurring here. We don't have a community if people within the community aren't doing anything, and it's as much of a problem on our end as it is for the members who are still here.

We may be a Halo-centric forum, but Halo isn't our only gaming interest. There's plenty to talk about and do besides everything Halo (which is essential, because 343 is completely inept at keeping the interest up for Halo). I know I'm one to talk since I've stopped doing Polls & News, but unfortunately for allot of us Staff our lives are constantly taking up most of our time. We were lucky in our earlier days because we had allot of younger folk with less responsibilities who could go insane on here 24/7 (which used to include me), but that's not the case anymore.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is that if you want an active community don't expect us to do everything to make it active. The thing that will actually succeed in making this community active is... well, for everyone to pitch in and get active. Care. Do something about it. Everything will change then.  :turned:

Side note: I think a large part of why this site is inactive is because the barrier to actually do something here is too great to get over. For example, let's say you want to play VR or something. First you have to move all the furniture, set up the headset, turn the game on, etc. There's too many steps, and people want to talk NOW. That's why Discord is so convenient, because the barrier to talk is thinner. Like, the chat in Discord is 110% better than the Shoutbox :/ 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Side note: I think a large part of why this site is inactive is because the barrier to actually do something here is too great to get over. For example, let's say you want to play VR or something. First you have to move all the furniture, set up the headset, turn the game on, etc. There's too many steps, and people want to talk NOW. That's why Discord is so convenient, because the barrier to talk is thinner. Like, the chat in Discord is 110% better than the Shoutbox :/ 

Gee, who was it that called that happening? lol

• Like 1

Mothy, don't make this a goodbye post. I doubt this is the community's "end", it'll just take some time before things perk up again. This site has a future, and always will, I'm sure things will revert at some point, regardless of how long for.

The worrying thing is that we can't rely on a Halo game being released to bring back the activity. First off, HW2 clearly didn't do much justice for this site, despite being an amazing game. Secondly, when I joined near the end of 2013, things were picking up activity again and it was already a relatively active stage for me to join. MCC hadn't been announced then, and Halo 4 had been out for a year. There was not much Halo news going around, besides Halo 5 speculations. The community was still at its most active stage nevertheless.

As mentioned, it'll take the motivation of various people at the same time to achieve good activity it. Waypoint has far more activity because it's official, people are already registered with just their Microsoft account, and 343 have more of a chance of seeing their posts. We don't even need to get near to Waypoint's activity to have our community back, it was the people and connections here - the almost close relationships - that made it what it was. To get that back, we just need a lot of people to join and actually stay. Many "originals" just lurk around, and haven't actually left. I'm happy to use the SB whenever I'm on, and will probably never get Discord. We just need all lurkers to talk/post more, and fresh members to stay and want to stay. Small community events between the ones that are still here can grow into larger ones. An important feature was this site's affiliations. It was a flurry of members exchanging between 343ICF, HaloCustoms, and Forge Cafe back in those days.

A revamp may be needed, but depressing posts like this that dwell on the past won't attract newcomers, that's for certain.

Keep strong community. :yay:

• Like 3