Big #5 "Biggles Style" Replays, Roles, Going Into The Past!

Mr Biggles

at 9:36 AM, i got up just to do this, so you better be happy community! jokes, i hope you enjoy this entry and gain a lot from it

1. Replays

Replays, are arguably one of the best things in halo, because, they can show you so many things, however, i don't understand why people don't use them, then expect to be better. Replays can show you a lot, like what you should of done to avoid that death, or what you could of done to get that kill, there are SO MANY benefits of watching replays, because again, your looking at what you did wrong and how you can improve on it, im guilty of not looking through replays that often, but, if I did, then i would be a much better player, because, you wouldn't make those mistakes again.

The typical example is, you have no shields, you are running away, you do something crazy and get killed. Now, what you should do is not panic, look around for your teammates, and try and get to them, because, in a earlier entry, i did point out the usefulness of teammates, and, if you have useful teammates, they will keep you alive, as long as you don't do anything to die, replays are arguably, the best thing in the game, because, they provide so much for so little, however, its kind of depressing because only you can see, you have to share your replays with EVERYONE on your friends list to see, which kind of sucks, but, if you watch your replays, notice your errors and work on them, you will improve SO SO quick.

2. How Playing Better People Can Help You

Now, ive always been the one to say "Don't go into MLG unless your ready" or "MLG is too hard, too many skilled players", i still stand to this fact, however, If you are a decent player who has a decent DMR and has a good idea of what to do, then, start playing the harder playlists, why? Well, there's a reason for this.

Playing better people IS good for you, because, you begin to follow their sort of playstyles, and start to adapt to becoming better with them, because, that's just natural, if you see someone better then you, you want to play like them so you can be like them and improve, however, don't play like them too much, because, every playstyle has differences, try to adapt yours to how you play, and go from there.

For example, if you are an aggressive player who loves to get kills and push up into their base, and you see a guy who stays back a bit, gets sniper, gets a few headshots, and you like that, mix it up a bit, stay back if for example, your team is losing and doesn't want to give away any deaths, but push up if you're sure you can get a kill and try and change the game, and get the team winning, because, obviously you don't wanna push up if you're losing, i mean, its practially a free kill for the other team if they are a decent team.

All of the pros we hear of in Halo weren't good naturally (i mean obviously that was a big factor) but they watched so many replays and played so many better people back in the day when they were amateurs, that they just knew what to do in every situation.

Playing better people will make you notice how your play is not as experiences as theirs, and will teach you your mistakes, and you will make you a better player.

3. Losing Isn't The End Of The World

I probably scraped across this a bit in entry #1, but i will fully explain this here.

Losing, is not the end of the world, because, Losing teaches you something, it teaches you that your team, was simply just doing the wrong things instead of the right things that the other team was doing, it may of been little things, but im sure you all heard the saying "Little Things Lead Up To 1 Big Thing" and that's basically how halo is, Halo is a game which you can lose, just on one little error, a head being seen by a sniper, a missed DMR shot, bad positioning, etc, you get my drift now, but, all of these things can lead to you losing a game quite badly, but im going off topic a bit now, so i will get back.

Don't get too mad if you lose, for sure, everyone gets mad if they lose, on starcraft, ive only ever beaten my friend once on it, and i get so mad when i lose because i think i shouldn't be losing, but, im learning something every day, because, i keep having to change my tactics to beat him, and when I do beat him when he's playing properly (LOLS TURRETS) then i will feel great, this is similar to halo, if you are playing as a Team of 4 going into, lets say Objective, and you are losing every single game, don't worry about it, i mean, in reach ,its not like you are going to lose ranks because you are losing, and even then it doesn't matter, because the ranking system is a measure of progress, it shows how you are improving. So you can lose 1000 games and win 1, but, as

Day 9 Says: "Every Loss, leads me into a direction that is wrong" this is true, because, obviously if you are losing there is something you are doing wrong, but, if you're doing something right, you get to go forward and realise you are doing something correct.

Don't let your attitude and Ego get in the way of improving you as a player, remove it, and just play, for fun and to improve.

4. TU - Why will it make the game better?

The TU is good because for starters, it will feel like good old fashioned halo, for starters, let's begin with the beatdown, they are bringing back bleedthrough, which ultimately means that if you have more health then one player and more shields, if you beat him down, he will die becuase you have more health, its not like now where even if you have less health, he can still win a battle because he beatsdown the player and DMR's him, i mean, that's not fair, if you've put all that work into getting him down to low shields, he should die to a beatdown.

The Second thing and obviously the most important, is they are taking the bloom down to 85% / ZB, this is useful, because, with 100% bloom, it feels like luck, and whichever way the bullet hits with the bloom will decide if you win or not, again, its hardly fair, also, with 100%, argue this with me if you like, Bloom helps the spammers, now yes, we can all say in halo 3 and halo 2 spamming was huge and was going on, but, we didn't really have a choice in halo 3 or halo 2, because the bloom was so little, everyone spammed, because that was the way of things, however, in halo reach, there is always a choice, you can pace your shots rather than spam, and this is Personal opinion, but, from what i see, Spammers are rewarded aganst pacers, because, that's just how its been and what ive seen, please, prove to me that im wrong, im open to suggestions.

With 85% / ZB, it takes the luck system out of it, and its simply who has the better DMR after that, also, it feels much more of a smooth game to play, as if we were playing one of the classic halo's again, because, everyone wants to play the classic halos.

I just wish now there was a ranking system. :( FML.

5. Learning Roles

Now, when you read this, you will probably be thinking "roles? we aren't playing WoW here, what is he talking about?" And you're right, its not like we go into reach, pick Mage and run in and kill demons, but, In reach, roles are very different.

You've got to play how you feel comfortable, because, if you don't, then you won't enjoy the game and won't find it fun, if you like getting kills, then you're a Slayer, if you like running objectives, then you're a Objective Player, and so it goes on, i will make a quick list of what every role i see is, and try and explain it as best as i can.

Main Slayer - Loves getting kills, can't stop getting them, loves being aggressive and making games turn around on their head

Support Slayer - Also, likes getting kills, but also enjoys getting assists, can be aggressive but also passive, can do the dirty work if he needs too

Support Objective - Likes to run Objective and do some of the objective work, but, like support slayer, can get lots of assists and, again, do the dirty work

Objective Player - Runs Objective, gets few kills and does a bit of support, lets all of the other players do the work and moves the objective across so they can capture it.

if you're going to make a team, ^^, these are kind of the things you need if you want a successful team, like Instinct, they have all of these and work so well together, and that is how they win national championships with ease.

I hope this entry has helped, im quite proud of it, and i hope you enjoy reading it as i have made it :D

Entry 6 i will be talking about

The Importance of Community

Momentum In Halo

Having a good attitude goes a long way

How halo can affect your life

Why to stay back in 49-49 situations.

• Like 2

you could of at least posted something worthwhile instead of trying to get known by posting to add. :/

That's a little harsh, maybe? Choot 'em already has over 400 posts so it's not as though he's a total newcomer, and he has bumped this to make it more likely newer players (i.e. the ones who need it most) will see it.

Anyway, additions for new players.

BigglesBrown is right when he says if you're in trouble you need to keep your head and go run towards your team: I can't begin to tell you how many times I've seen players killed because they run away from the only people who can help them when they're in trouble. Take a long route to put yourself in cover if you need to, but make sure you're going the right way overall.

It's also worth considering how you're going to get there. If you have Sprint or jetpack, turn your back on your attacker and just get out of there. If not, play intelligently. Run backwards and keep firing to make it riskier for them: nobody likes being shot. Try and get around corners and toss a 'Nade near the base: this works better with Plasma but Frags are good too. Your attacker will either have to wait an extra few moments to pursue or risk massive damage, and if you've been firing at them they won't have enough health to want to risk that. It takes less than eight seconds for your shields to fully recharge after last being hit, so even if you only delay your opponent for an extra second it can mean the difference between life and death.

And occasionally of course, they'll be stupid enough to walk into the blast and you'll get the kill!

As far as playing better players goes, you might want to have a look at the Arena once it gets to mid-season (seasons are three months in length, you'll be told how long is left in a season when you open the playlist - you don't even have to play a game!) as you'll be matched to people very close to your own skill level: it's very rare that you and your Warrant officer buddies will be up against nothing but Inheritors and Reclaimers, or players well above your own skill level. This is actually a good way for newer players to get better, as your opponents won't be so easy winning isn't a challenge nor so difficult that all you do is sit at the respawn screen instead of playing and learning. As you improve your matches will get harder, so your skills will always be sharp.

As far as roles within teams go, this works better if you communicate, which BigglesBrown has already very kindly discussed in an earlier post. If you're going for kills yourself, grab a DMR, a Grenade Launcher, or just have you and your team-mates focus-fire with Assault Rifles. If you're supporting, get a Sniper Rifle and use it to scout for enemies as well as shooting at them: get the Shotgun and stop them getting through doors. If you're moving as a group, get a Plasma Pistol and down shields so your team's players with Assault Rifles and DMRs can finish them off. 'Nades are also your best friend, use them whenever you want to pin an enemy down. You may not be getting the kills yourself, but you'll be making it a lot easier for your team, and that naturally increases your chances of winning.

Lastly, learn how to lose effectively. BigglesBrown has already told you how important it is to watch replays of how you were killed, but even if you don't, ask yourself why you lost/did badly. Were you using cover enough? Were you straying away from your team and being simply outgunned? Is your shooting sloppy, so you need to practice or consider a different weapon approach (there is no shame in admitting you can't use the DMR and reverting to the Assault Rifle, regardless of what the trolls on Bungie.net tell you!), or did you spend too much time going for objectives to hurt the enemy team so they got all the good weapons and wiped your team out/you spent too much time chasing down isolated enemy soldiers to actually go for the objectives? Even if you played well and just came up against a better team or got unlucky (this does happen) it's better to recognise that and move on rather than getting angry and thus playing worse.

Remember, the worst thing you can do is to lose and not learn from it. A bad game that makes you a better player is worth a hundred games where you win without a challenge.

Anyway, excited for the next instalment Biggles, keep it up!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

For roles I would stress that it is important that everyone on your team should be able to do everything if needed.

An "objective" person shouldn't pass up a sniper or never bother using because they aren't the "slayer," they should pick it up and use it until they can drop it for the best sniper on the team (or at least be able to defend it until that person can pick it up themself). Also, just because a person may take on a "slayer" type role shouldn't mean that they should never bother with objectives. I can't recall how many games I've been in where the opposing team is dead and the person closest to the objective doesn't try to move it or pick up a few seconds of time. It isn't uncommon for an entire team to go negative and yet still win objective games because they were more focused on the real way to win that gametype.

I guess the main point I'm trying to make is all players knowing what to do in a given situation will make or break a team moreso than making sure you all have defined roles. Teamwork, obviously, is most important once you start working your way up the competitive ladder.

For roles I would stress that it is important that everyone on your team should be able to do everything if needed.

An "objective" person shouldn't pass up a sniper or never bother using because they aren't the "slayer," they should pick it up and use it until they can drop it for the best sniper on the team (or at least be able to defend it until that person can pick it up themself). Also, just because a person may take on a "slayer" type role shouldn't mean that they should never bother with objectives. I can't recall how many games I've been in where the opposing team is dead and the person closest to the objective doesn't try to move it or pick up a few seconds of time. It isn't uncommon for an entire team to go negative and yet still win objective games because they were more focused on the real way to win that gametype.

I guess the main point I'm trying to make is all players knowing what to do in a given situation will make or break a team moreso than making sure you all have defined roles. Teamwork, obviously, is most important once you start working your way up the competitive ladder.

I never said they shouldn't, im just saying people are more used to what they're doing the best, hence why you and try and give them roles, power weapons are a big thing for anyone, anyone can pick them up.

Teamwork is important at a lower level, as if you get it right at lower, you will get it right in higher.