Stop Internet Censoring!!!

Twinreaper

Hello fellow 343i members. Today I am posting this, so that we can help join in the fight against Internet Censoring via the SOPA and Block IP bill. For those of you who do not know, COngress is trying to pass a bill that will give the government, companies and anyone who holds a copyright or royalty, the power to censor, shutdown and bankrupt websites. Even websites such as 343i can and will be effected by this. The bill charges the website owner with the task of filtering out any links, posts or content that could be harmful to a business, likeness, enitity or property.

To put it into perspective......members making a post about how CoD sucks after this bill, could have the site shutdown because posts such as that could be viewed as harmful to the CoD franchise. What is even scarier, is that NO COURT ORDER is required for penalties, fines or lawsuits to be carried out.

CLick the link below to help us help you keep the internet free and uncensored! Protect our first amendment!!!

http://americancensorship.org/

• Like 9

Thanks Twin, i've been reading about this for a bit and it scares the heck out of me if this passes. I fully support the fight against censorship, i've dealt with the music side of this in many of music business classes and in no way is this good. Once again thanks for the heads up.

• Like 1

Shouldn't this be a violation of the first amendment? Or did they find a way around it? We should be able to speak our minds on the Internet. Well I'm gonna go sign some petitions and maybe talk to my representative.

You can amend the Constitution.

The scariest part of this bill, is that no court hearing, no court order or any other governmental law office is needein any way for people who violate or are subject to the bill.....be cut off finalcially and and prosecuted. according to it specifically, anyone who is used to finance or support an offender is legally obligated to choke the violator dry without the need of court orders or notice.

What would be nice is a link to the bill so members can read it. Bills can sometimes be brought forward for good reasons yet get their intended meaning "spun" into a distortion of what it intent is. I have been a voter for over thirty years and have seen bills and amendments get a bad "image" because of special interest groups who are only looking at the worst case scenario or deliberately misleading voters for group or personal reasons. I am not saying that is what is happening here, just that people need to read for themselves what is been stated and/or have the background history and affiliations of any who are defining these type bills.

My guess is it is possible that the bill could be intended to deal with sites that are dedicated to disrupt the commercial revenues, maliciously miss lead consumers or cause significant financial harm to companies that are targeted by other companies or groups.

Someone saying "COD Sucks!" on a site and having a site shut down for said comment being posted is beyond normal reaches of any legislation I have ever seen enforced in my entire life. There were all the stories about music and movie downloads which are legitimately considered illegal and backed by law, and how many people have you ever know that do it have any legal issue?

Take the time to think things through.

P.S. There are member of Congress and there aides who are always on watch any legislation that would ever hinder free speech with regards to corporate interests. As mush as politics can seem such a mess sometimes, there are actually some very good and intelligent members and advisers involved in the process. We are still here kicking the **** out of non democratic countries with our ever present freedoms and with countries like Britain, Canada and a host of others, we show how it is truly supposed to work!

• Like 3

For those who want to read more about the bill specifically, there are numerous links at the bottom of the webiste link I posted up in the beginning. There are also numerous links from various organizations about the bill from different perspectives. The most interesting of them all, is the one that talks about how seven different top law professors around the US, all agreeed that the bill is a hinderance to our first amendment right, and will serve as no purpose to stop piracy, but only extend the arm of the government to a place it has no right being in.

I am going to illistrate now, a very explicit example of how this bill is going to effect everyone. Time to role play a little....

Absolute Dog has aquired, out of his love for all things Halo, roughly 50 shares of MacFarlane Toy Company. The said toy company produces high quality action figures of characters and vehicles from the halo Universe. Microsoft explicitly owns the rights to halo, but as a toycompany good provider, MacFarlane Toys and share holders hold what is called "Intelectual property", meaning that financially, they have a stake in the toys and any other copyrighted or patened toy they produce wether it be by third, second or first party concent.

One day Twam purchases some MacFarlane Halo toys and decides he wants to produce a series of short stop motion halo films to share with the community. This series of short films is completely free and only spread and posted to sites like Facebook and Youtube for the pure enjoyment of others. Twam produces these things for several months.

One day Absolute Dog is in a real bad mood. people around the community have been ******** him off left and right. he decides to check out what is new on his Facebook, and sees a link to Youtube for the newest film short by Twam. He watches the new short on Youtube and decides that because Twam is using MacFarlane property to produce film shorts, he may be on the side making a profit from this. Absolute calls or e-mails the US Attorney's office and within minutes, without a court order or official notice from any judiciary sub-branch, both Facebook (They linked to the Youtube), and Youtube (contains the actual video) have their sites blocked and shutdown. Furthermore they also have any payment office or financial income provider frozen and can no longer collect payments for their services. Because of Dog's actions and the violation of representation by a court for breaking the laws, Youtube and Facebook have their income hindered which results in the loss of hundreds of jobs they cannot afford to support. Or even worse, both companies go bankrupt and are forced to increase the unemployment rate by the thousands if not hundred of thousands.

Upon this closeure of 2 of the biggest US based websites, the person, Twam, is also suquestered with a fine without a court order or court descision and or court appearance. All he can do is pay the fines and any legal fees on the governments end, or go to jail possibly. Again a sentence without any court appearance or legal representation.

Now yes this is an extreme case, but it also showcases how this new bill can be abused by anyone who owns a likeness or stake in any company. It also showcases how this bill circumvents basic Constitutional Rights that we are absolutely guaranteed under any circumstance.

Imagine if this bill was passed down to states for everyday laws. You could receive fines and jail time and never have to be officially notified you broke the law, or have any type of legal counteraction to defend yourself. Bills like this are dangerous, and have no place in our society. I am not for piracy, I am strongly against it. But creating bills like this is not the answer.

What is also troubling, is that their was no media or official documented warning about this bill circulated to the public. Correct me if I am wrong, but usually any bill or amendment that is in congress must be devulged to the public, so the public can react accordingly. Furthermore if our democratic process works so greatly, how come bills and laws that over 50% of the american public are against, get pushed through anyway? I thought our elected officials were in washington to fully represent the people they are elected by. Sounds a little one sided to me, and sounds like the people we elect don't really care about representing the views and feelings of the public. Makes me real glad I am not a born American.

For those who want to read more about the bill specifically, there are numerous links at the bottom of the webiste link I posted up in the beginning. There are also numerous links from various organizations about the bill from different perspectives. The most interesting of them all, is the one that talks about how seven different top law professors around the US, all agreeed that the bill is a hinderance to our first amendment right, and will serve as no purpose to stop piracy, but only extend the arm of the government to a place it has no right being in.

I am going to illistrate now, a very explicit example of how this bill is going to effect everyone. Time to role play a little....

Absolute Dog has aquired, out of his love for all things Halo, roughly 50 shares of MacFarlane Toy Company. The said toy company produces high quality action figures of characters and vehicles from the halo Universe. Microsoft explicitly owns the rights to halo, but as a toycompany good provider, MacFarlane Toys and share holders hold what is called "Intelectual property", meaning that financially, they have a stake in the toys and any other copyrighted or patened toy they produce wether it be by third, second or first party concent.

One day Twam purchases some MacFarlane Halo toys and decides he wants to produce a series of short stop motion halo films to share with the community. This series of short films is completely free and only spread and posted to sites like Facebook and Youtube for the pure enjoyment of others. Twam produces these things for several months.

One day Absolute Dog is in a real bad mood. people around the community have been ******** him off left and right. he decides to check out what is new on his Facebook, and sees a link to Youtube for the newest film short by Twam. He watches the new short on Youtube and decides that because Twam is using MacFarlane property to produce film shorts, he may be on the side making a profit from this. Absolute calls or e-mails the US Attorney's office and within minutes, without a court order or official notice from any judiciary sub-branch, both Facebook (They linked to the Youtube), and Youtube (contains the actual video) have their sites blocked and shutdown. Furthermore they also have any payment office or financial income provider frozen and can no longer collect payments for their services. Because of Dog's actions and the violation of representation by a court for breaking the laws, Youtube and Facebook have their income hindered which results in the loss of hundreds of jobs they cannot afford to support. Or even worse, both companies go bankrupt and are forced to increase the unemployment rate by the thousands if not hundred of thousands.

Upon this closeure of 2 of the biggest US based websites, the person, Twam, is also suquestered with a fine without a court order or court descision and or court appearance. All he can do is pay the fines and any legal fees on the governments end, or go to jail possibly. Again a sentence without any court appearance or legal representation.

Now yes this is an extreme case, but it also showcases how this new bill can be abused by anyone who owns a likeness or stake in any company. It also showcases how this bill circumvents basic Constitutional Rights that we are absolutely guaranteed under any circumstance.

Imagine if this bill was passed down to states for everyday laws. You could receive fines and jail time and never have to be officially notified you broke the law, or have any type of legal counteraction to defend yourself. Bills like this are dangerous, and have no place in our society. I am not for piracy, I am strongly against it. But creating bills like this is not the answer.

What is also troubling, is that their was no media or official documented warning about this bill circulated to the public. Correct me if I am wrong, but usually any bill or amendment that is in congress must be devulged to the public, so the public can react accordingly. Furthermore if our democratic process works so greatly, how come bills and laws that over 50% of the american public are against, get pushed through anyway? I thought our elected officials were in washington to fully represent the people they are elected by. Sounds a little one sided to me, and sounds like the people we elect don't really care about representing the views and feelings of the public. Makes me real glad I am not a born American.

Nice analogy Twin, good use of me!

Hello fellow 343i members. Today I am posting this, so that we can help join in the fight against Internet Censoring via the SOPA and Block IP bill. For those of you who do not know, COngress is trying to pass a bill that will give the government, companies and anyone who holds a copyright or royalty, the power to censor, shutdown and bankrupt websites. Even websites such as 343i can and will be effected by this. The bill charges the website owner with the task of filtering out any links, posts or content that could be harmful to a business, likeness, enitity or property.

To put it into perspective......members making a post about how CoD sucks after this bill, could have the site shutdown because posts such as that could be viewed as harmful to the CoD franchise. What is even scarier, is that NO COURT ORDER is required for penalties, fines or lawsuits to be carried out.

CLick the link below to help us help you keep the internet free and uncensored! Protect our first amendment!!!

http://americancensorship.org/

the people who are making this bill are stuped they dont know how the internet works and it will only block the web site but if you know the ip adress for the site and you type that in instead it will still bring you to the site :D and they can not shut down the sites only block it plus it only affects people in the us oh and most search sites alreddy search by ip adress not the web site name alreaddy so even if it is passed it will hardly affect anny one so dont worry about it guys

CoD sucks
:D

Screw that! I'm moving back to Germany. It's the only European country left that is standing on it's own without financing from other countries...cough cough *china owns us* cough cough. hell, Germany even fronted billions to the European Nation along with a line of credit up to I think....2 billion dollars. Obviously they did something right. And having a bill like this pass through is not right.

Glad to hear it's finally getting the media attention it deserves.

Screw that! I'm moving back to Germany. It's the only European country left that is standing on it's own without financing from other countries...cough cough *china owns us* cough cough. hell, Germany even fronted billions to the European Nation along with a line of credit up to I think....2 billion dollars. Obviously they did something right. And having a bill like this pass through is not right.

Why do you say china owns us...there in just as much debt as united states that and united states (I'm from us) is in more debt with japan then china, it is based on Hamilton economics

If it gets passed, bring me with you. I'm notborn german, but it is still in my blood.

Anyways, what happened to the days when people had a sense of honor and duty? Seems the politics olny caters to the pocket books of those involved.

This is why I say:

Twam for President 2012! :thumbsup: :laughing: :P :) :fattwam:

• 4 weeks later...