Halo Anniversary on PC

Phinix250

Do you think 343 should put the Halo franchise back onto PC as well as Xbox? and if so should they allow cross platform multiplayer?

I think that it should be on pc with cross platform support but pc players do not get the aim assist and there can be controller only settings for parties that force pc players to use a controller if they join the party.

I think that it should be on pc with cross platform support but pc players do not get the aim assist and there can be controller only settings for parties that force pc players to use a controller if they join the party.

That doesn't even sound possible. The PC port to the Xbox 360 port is like 2 completely different games, that's how I have heard it explained when the issue came up on another forum concerning Halo 1 xbox to PC, it would be the same case I imagine.

This is rumored to be what is coming with Halo 4, a pc counterpart. Understand, that the only difference in the 360 version and a PC version, will be how the executable (engine core code) is compiled. Aka, XEX or .exe file. Aside from that, almost 99% of the tag-set used in both remain identical besides a few header entries.

The cross platform gaming is another story though. It would be nearly impossible to achieve this, simply because of the manner in which the 2 different versions would be read and executed, and then the need to be translated between, all the while providing lag free gameplay. It isn't impossible to get cross platform gameplay, just not feesable by tech terms at this point. We need much advancement in networking to handle the kind of data required to pull it off.

Twin Reaper:

you might find it interesting to note that the TCP/UDP for pc and Xbox360 are almost exactly the same, and are used frequently by the media share system on the Xbox to read music and movies from a network connected pc. so the two will talk to each other, and any program would not need to translate any of the data as it will all be sent in the same format so there is not extra lag (it was originally Microsofts plan to let pcs on to Xbox live). also the core components (protocols, code interpreters, Direct X 9.0c) of an Xbox360 was based off windows XP. So I do not see how it is not feasible at the moment. Note: Shadowrun 2 is cross platform, Portal 2 is cross platform with PS3 as well.

Sentri:

The problem with Halo one was the fact that Xbox used DirectX 8.0 for its Drawing API where as PC used at that stage 9.0 and 9.0 was not very backwards compatable (induced large amounts of lag for the games complexity) so it had to be re written by Gear software for DX 9.0. The Xbox360 now uses Direct X 9.0c and pc 9.0, 10.0 and 11.0 which are fully backwards compatable with 9.0c.

Twin Reaper:

you might find it interesting to note that the TCP/UDP for pc and Xbox360 are almost exactly the same, and are used frequently by the media share system on the Xbox to read music and movies from a network connected pc. so the two will talk to each other, and any program would not need to translate any of the data as it will all be sent in the same format so there is not extra lag (it was originally Microsofts plan to let pcs on to Xbox live). also the core components (protocols, code interpreters, Direct X 9.0c) of an Xbox360 was based off windows XP. So I do not see how it is not feasible at the moment. Note: Shadowrun 2 is cross platform, Portal 2 is cross platform with PS3 as well.

Sentri:

The problem with Halo one was the fact that Xbox used DirectX 8.0 for its Drawing API where as PC used at that stage 9.0 and 9.0 was not very backwards compatable (induced large amounts of lag for the games complexity) so it had to be re written by Gear software for DX 9.0. The Xbox360 now uses Direct X 9.0c and pc 9.0, 10.0 and 11.0 which are fully backwards compatable with 9.0c.

The question that I was trying to mention from the other forum, was why couldn't a person connect their Halo 1 PC version and Xbox 1 version to a router and play Multiplayer, essentially he was trying to get round the split screen and play on full screen on each. It interested me as I play Halo 1 & 2 10x better on PC with the mouse as I'm sure so many others do.

Its a shame the rest of the Halo series never made it to PC, I guess I bought my 360 for Halo, not that I mind now cause I do all my gaming now on the xbox.

Completely wrong. TCP and UDP are simply protocols and have nothing to do with the format type in which the data transmitted. In the case of a PC communicating properly with a 360, we are talking about native win32 or win64 bit api's communicating with 360's xenonlib set of protocols and Live stand alone API's. The two would need a negotiator to translate the different formats of data they use respectively in terms of their core operating environment. They perfectly achieved this with Games for Windows Live but two different platform games is a farcry from simple friends lists communication.

Games like Shadowrun and a few others were designed to communicate with each other across platform by default design. PS3 network is nowhere near as sofisticated as the Live network, so bad comparison there. DirectX has no impact on how the 2 platforms form the data packets or the encryption algorythim it uses during trasnport. Again, you can't compare different network apps to Live, just as you can't compare PS3 to 360 in that way.

As for your point Sentri, I think you need to phrase what you said a little better. From what I interpret when I read it, you are saying it is a shame we can't have both the PC and Xbox communicate to eachother directly based off of having them connected to the same router? Or did you mean to say it is a shame we can't simply have an xbox plugged into a router, and find other consoles online to remotely connect to?

If it is the latter, there are applications that "tunnel" your 360 into a system link connection with others on games that have LAN features built into it. AKA, using XBConnect or XLinkKai to join Reach custom games on system link.

If it was the former, it just doesn't work that way. No device is natively coded in network translation, to be compatable or communicate with any other device at all. Yes some devices can and are designed thatw ay, but the Xbox 360 was not left open ended in such a manner to allow this. Beyond a simple local "LAN" connection, no other network support was given to it.

The two would need a negotiator to translate the different formats of data they use respectively in terms of their core operating environment.

Of course it wouldn't be done for fun even though it could be done, it would be quite a production and costly to have time devoted to it, without a commercial reason I can't see it being done period.

I think the biggest thing most gaming developers fear when Cross Platforming is one platform dominating the other (i.e. in RTS and FPS games PC with mouse and Keyboard will often dominate over Xbox or PS3 with controller (some times not the case but most of the time it is true) and they fear the backlash from players on a platform that is getting dominated. (i.e no one who plays an Xbox will buy the next in the series if they know they are going to get dominated online by some one on a different platform).

But in terms of Multplayer Halo PC; It had a slightly different multiplayer (as it had more "computing power" to play with) from the Xbox version, it was programed to have:

>Higher numbers of players (up to 32 officially with Custom Edition but Dedicated servers could be "adjusted" to have more - Xbox could only have 16)

>Extra Maps (including timberland - a Massive map which had to be scaled down for even the Xbox 360 in CEA)

>Custom Maps and Mods (if using Custom Edition)

>Flamethrower and Fuelrod Cannon (taken out of the Xbox version because of size limitations of the disc)

>Rocket Launcher Warthog (an experimental addition of an anti tank vehicle - an idea of Gearbox Software)

these where beyond the ability of the Xbox version at the time so they had to put measures in to stop them from connecting.

But if the game was ported from Xbox "as is" to PC without the extra stuff such as Halo 2 was, all they would need to do is give the console players a slight advantage over PC gamers (such as removing Aim Assist for Keyboard an Mouse) to even the playing field and they could get away with it (theoretically).

I'm not sure who would have the biggest advantage. I mean, I've connected my 360 controler plenty of times for Halo 1 in the past and got completely decimated by people using keyboard and mouse. And then again, there were times when I was accused of botting because I was doing the decimating. I guess it would be an even draw, depending on which type of controls you are best with and prefer?

• Like 1

To Twin Reaper:

The XNA Framework by Microsoft Made specificly for creating games can be implemented on both PC and Xbox and it has a unified set of Communication APIs that can run on Both systems. So the APIs are not the Problem, That is why I thought you where referring to the Protocols not communicating with each other (common error - people think that the Xbox has it's own set of protocols like the ps3)

Xbox gamers like myself would get our asses kicked over and over. No matter how good you are, a PC gamer would destroy anyone playing on the xbox. The mouse will always beat the controller, trust me. I think this is a bad idea only for this reason. Maybe they could make the pc gamer use a controller lol. If they can't and do it anyway then this could ruin the multiplayer aspect of halo 4. Im all for a bigger community but I think you might actually lose more than you gain, PC gamers having a huge advantage with the Mouse like that could deter us from playing

Crytek was originally going to do that with Crysis one but found they could not Port it to Xbox on the Cryengine 2 (they had to develop Cryengine 3 to work with Xbox for Crysis 2 and then ported crysis one on cryengine 3 for xbox) so it fell by the wayside. Pc gamers can still choose to go onto servers that are restricted to controller only (providing they use a controller).

But I am not sure that Mouse and Keyboard is that much better, sure you might get both accuracy and Speed with the mouse (while controller will have to trade off when setting sensitivity) but The Mouse does require you to pick it up and move it if you are constantly turning in one direction and not the other. Also if we have aim assist for controllers but not mouse, that would allow console players to set their sensitivity higher and have a comparable speed to the mouse while letting the computer deal with the accuracy.

p.s. Long Live the Rocket Warthog

Xbox gamers like myself would get our asses kicked over and over. No matter how good you are, a PC gamer would destroy anyone playing on the xbox. The mouse will always beat the controller, trust me. I think this is a bad idea only for this reason. Maybe they could make the pc gamer use a controller lol. If they can't and do it anyway then this could ruin the multiplayer aspect of halo 4. Im all for a bigger community but I think you might actually lose more than you gain, PC gamers having a huge advantage with the Mouse like that could deter us from playing

And arguably better equipment, high end machine, expensive gaming mouse with custom settings...etc Not to mention the pro's and con's between PC and console in general. I'm sure there would be good reasons why, Halo 4 would be exclusive to the Xbox360, or down the track the next Gen microsoft console. With the xbox 360 as a standard it provides an even playing field imo.

• 2 weeks later...

The question that I was trying to mention from the other forum, was why couldn't a person connect their Halo 1 PC version and Xbox 1 version to a router and play Multiplayer, essentially he was trying to get round the split screen and play on full screen on each. It interested me as I play Halo 1 & 2 10x better on PC with the mouse as I'm sure so many others do.

Its a shame the rest of the Halo series never made it to PC, I guess I bought my 360 for Halo, not that I mind now cause I do all my gaming now on the xbox.

I have to agree, as I'm a PC user that has adored Halo: CE for years and still play it. I not that 343 Studios, if it does adapt the Anniversary game to PC (and I really, *REALLY* wish it happens) can avoid the disparity in Multiplayer style since Anniversary's Multiplayer is pirportedly using the Reach engine anyway.

Granted CEA for PC would be great for non modders, but with Kornman's Open Sauce post processing for Halo PC it would be kinda pointless. With OS we have a wider range of ccore engine tweaks that we can make plus the ability to post process the older graphics shader system into somethkng that almost rivals Halo Reach shader systems.