343's plans for the future of the franchise; Next major entry's reveal "won't be soon."

Q3FZqSp2Qtm7UJQdVR5Qiw.png

Bonnie Ross at D.I.C.E 2017, Feb 2017

Bonnie Ross stated at the D.I.C.E Summit earlier this year that Halo 6 will involve a more "simpler story" that focuses on the Master Chief and no new playable characters. She also stated that future titles will include the splitscreen option due to the backlash of Halo 5's lack of having splitscreen functionality. It was explained that taking it out in Halo 5 was a tough choice due to Halo 5's 'mass scale environments, improved AI behavior and increased visuals and gameplay fidelity.' Regarding the story, she said "while we love our transmedia, sometimes I do think we tell a little too much story in our games." This statement by itself stirred some confusion in the community. Some saw it as bad thing because they feel that the future entries could end up lacking the amount of lore and detail that Halo 4 and Halo 5 Guardians contained. Other saw it as a good thing becasue they feel it would be a lot easier and lighter on the casual players to understand the story. Bonnie Ross later cleared up the statement on Twitter that she also enjoyed the direction Halo 4 went storywise.

Halo fans who are looking forward to the sequel to Halo 5 will have to sit back and get comfortable because 343industries stated that the next major title's announcement won't be anytime soon. That means out at Germany's Gamescom or the upcoming PAX 2017 conventions.

Back in May, 343's community manager Brian Jarrard (aka Ske7ch) had warned fans that 343 will have no major announcements at E3 2017 for Halo. "I'll slip into my dreamcrusher persona for a minute in the name of realistic expectations. We've said this already but we'll have a little something at E3 but it's not related to the next major entry in the franchise." This 'little something' was revealed to be a paid expansion for Halo Wars 2 which brings the Flood back into the fray on the Ark post-HW2 titled "Awakening the Nightmare".

In last week's Halo Community Update, Jeff Easterling (GrimBrotherOne) acknowledged the already predicted disappointment of the community from what E3 did and didn't show. "While there's little to nothing to be said on that front, it's been made clear that we won't be talking about Halo's next major title for quite sometime. And no, that doesn't mean Gamescom. Or PAX. Trust us, when we're ready to pull pack that proverbial curtain, you'll know. It won't be soon."

Some members of the community took to the internet to voice their displeasure at this news, but also a good amount took to various forums such as Reddit's r/Halo and Waypoint to explain how this could mean 343 is willing to take their time to make the next entry better than the last, and fix their mistakes to ensure they deliver a game that the community wants. Many speculate that the next entry's reveal may take place at E3 2018 with a release later in 2019, but we won't know until 343 is satisfied and ready for an unveiling.

Sources:

Twinfinite | IGN | IGN DICE article | DigitalTrends | Halo Community Update | Flood of Emotion 6/15/2017 | VentureBeat DICE article

This post has been promoted to an article Edited by Ardent
  • Like 8

I think people should take this positively. The recent Master Chief game was definitely could've been better if they followed what they were advertising. If Halo 6 is the end of Master Chiefs adventure, I'd like them to take their time. Find out what works and what doesn't. The story in Halo 4 was  brilliant but the presentation could've been improved. Halo 5, I could've enjoyed but master chiefs absence through most of it kinda killed it. (I don't want to mention advertisement again) I believe 343i has the writing chops to bring us an interesting story but they should start working on how they bring it about.  In my opinion, I think we need something gritty. Reminiscent of games of old. Something that shows signs of war, not a technicolor palette.

• Like 1

If it doesn't turn into Infinite Warfare and Microsoft don't force a release from 343, it will be fine. 343 needs to stop with the remasters for good and focus all their effort on Halo 6. 

• Like 3

If it doesn't turn into Infinite Warfare and Microsoft don't force a release from 343, it will be fine. 343 needs to stop with the remasters for good and focus all their effort on Halo 6. 

I think that's the case now. 343i knows that people wanted Halo 3: Anniversary but with the failure of the Master Chief Collection (I'm still triggered) and the massive backlash from Halo 5, I don't think they can afford to pour their resources into something that isn't a major entry. They need to put as much time and work into the next game as they can to ensure it's THE game they want to give to the community.

• Like 1

For me this is just a spin story to cover what the community already knows about the MGS and 343 studio leads and talent. They can't produce a quality product to save their lives!

They can take all the time they wish, but at the end of the development cycle it won't amount to anything. They have a sub-par talent pool, the execs do nothing but talk a good game, and the storyboarding/story writing is unbefitting of the franchise. I don't want to hear about how more time will allow them to create a masterpiece!

At this juncture, 343 has the same exact experience going forward with games that Bungie had during their third major and one side title entry. Yet Bungie was able to give us Halo 3 (A true masterpiece) just a 2.5 year development arc after Halo 2. Mind you they hadnt the benefit of an already stable and feature full engine product that 343 has.

So no, lets not believe or pretend that time is what 343 needs. What it needs a dedicated and truely talented team at the helm. Not more of the same O'Conno/Wolfkill/Ross crap that started this cluster bug of a mess. At the end of the day, 343 will never be able to handle the franchise properly and they have shown that.

Edited by Twinreaper
  • Like 2

I really hope 343 can knock one out of the park with Halo 6. They don't necessarily need a simpler story to produce a good game; what they need to do is deliver what they show (looking at you, Halo 5's advertising campaign) and not rely on external media to tell a well-rounded and fleshed out story (such as the gap between Halo 4's ending and 5's beginning). Basically, I think they need to work on their execution and storytelling methods rather than simplify the content.

The first four Halo games were great. Combat Evolved started the whole series, and each sequel picked up where the previous game left off. It's a simple storytelling method, but an effective one. That's why so many franchises use it. Sure, 343 can produce additional content to explain more of the universe's lore, but it shouldn't be necessary to understand what happens between one entry of your flagship and the next. The purpose of additional content is to enhance the experience, not facilitate it.

Halos 1-4 could get away with telling more complicated stories because each game provided essential details of the overarching story. It's a matter of telling enough so that players can follow the plot and delivering it in a way that they care. For example, a crucial part of Halo 4's story revolves around Cortana succumbing to rampancy. Players who don't look at any lore whatsoever would be curious what rampancy is; so Cortana explains what it is in a simple enough way that they understand. She doesn't go into the specific details of its different phases or how certain smart AIs were able to overcome it. She simply gives the essential details to provide players with the motivation to push on and try to save her.

While I am glad that 343 is taking their time with Halo 6 (especially after Nintendo took 6 years to make Breath of the Wild, and that's easily one of the best games I've ever played), I'm disappointed that their current development plan involves simplifying the story. Simple isn't necessarily bad, but I think they need to re-evaluate their storytelling methods first.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...