l4T02BI.png

Heyy, welcome back to the Weekly Site Poll!    :)

Poll 56 - 'Top 5 Favorite TV Shows' - is here if you'd like to read the responses, or post a late reply.

This poll's bought one of the most contested topics in all of Halo, and makes 343 extra loopy...

9kxeTSj.png

What are your favorite armor permutations in the Halo series?

It can range from Master Chief's armor (new or old) in the story to the fishbowl-subwoofer fusion of a helm, Seeker.

The next Weekly Site Poll will be posted whenever, maybe. Feel free to suggest the topic for the NEXT Weekly Site Poll in your response!

SD, out!  :split:
  • Like 5

I have a real soft spot for the old Mark V, and especially the versions from Reach. While I generally wasn't a fan of its art style at the time, in retrospect I actually appreciate it more and more - the armour in Reach tends to look fairly realistic and practical while still being quite stylised and iconic, and while I don't really like the way the shoulder pads were generally done as I find they generally look too separate from the rest of the armour, I think if they'd been better fitted, perhaps slotting into the actual upper arm armour, their aesthetic is just fine. I really liked the way that the customisation worked, too - it was great being able to really create a unique armour, yet one which looks like it's been customised rather than custom-built.

Probably my favourite overall aesthetic is the stuff in Halo 3 though, as even though it's not hugely detailed by today's standards (or even was at the time, really) the overall style is so good that I think it still holds up surprisingly well today.

In general I really dislike the armour in Halo 5, as in addition to being quite ugly and impractical from a stylistic perspective, I find it's really over-detailed and under-textured. There's no real focal points to the armour - it's just a mess of overlapping lines and contours, and the overall design is just one big mess which blends together rather than emphasising any specific areas. The helmets in particular just look ridiculous, and combined with how oversaturated and glossy the 'hard' parts of the armour are, I just think it looks ridiculous, like the armour is made of a sort of waxy resin rather than metal or composite (though to give credit, Blue Team's own armours are a lot better in that regard). That said, I'm a huge fan of the overall style of the Mark IV armour - if we can get a 'damaged' version of it for Halo 6, and 343i sort their lighting and colouring out so that it looks like it's been made from actual armour, it might just become my favourite outright!

• Like 3

Easily the Mark VI armour has always been my favourite as soon as I found out in Halo 4 all I needed to do was complete the campaign I spent all day doing it. Though Reach has always been my favouite incarnation due to the uniqueness and realism the art style brings. Unlike the god awful cartoony kids art style of Halo 5.

• Like 2

Oh boy...

Definitely going to have to go with:

Void Dancer Comet (Helmet),

Stalker Arrow (Armor), 

Rex (Visor)

Pepper (Primary)

Blueberry (Secondary)

^^This combination has been what I wore since Stalker Arrow was released in January's terrible update last year. (The only good thing was that piece of armor tbh)

• Like 2

ooh, here's where I can finally rage at some of 343's more colorful armor designs lmao

But first, what I like. I pretty much run Venator as my chestpiece 100% of the time, and swap out between Wetwork, Mark VI and Locus as my helmet. 

And then, here's what I don't like. 

Helioskrill - Giant mullet on your head? No thanks

Sweatchilles - Want a floor mop on your head and an index for your visor? Want to make the entire lobby groan as soon as they see your spartan? Go ahead

Jorge armor - damn its bulky 

The one with the three holes in the middle as the visor- yeah, im lookin at u splinter cell

security- .... ....yea

Seeker - what 343 :popo:

i know i'm the minority voice for most of what i've just said but damn does it feel good to say that out

Edited by RedStarRocket91
Removed inappropriate language. Please do not attempt to bypass the mature language filter.
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Personally, I ADORE the ODST armour, particularly the ODST armour from Halo 3: ODST.  I know it's not a MJOLNIR variant technically, but it is still awesome. (So badas in H3: ODST)

Outside of that I LOVE the MJOLNIR Mk. IV (& V) and also the Mk. VI from H2 & H3.

These classic armour types will always be my favourites.

p.s. If I did have to pick favourites among the newer variants, though I prefer the classic armours, I would probably choose the standard rookie helmet, the air assault v2, recon v2, or the scout v2, for their design. (I probably like them for their look that is more consistent with the older helmets....unlike several others (ahem, eg. seeker, mako, fotus, venator)

Anyway, that's my thoughts.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I mainly dislike 343's artstyle. UNSC Spartans are supposed to have a few curves in their armor, while the rest of the area is covered with flat and angled areas. Now most of 343s armors are unrealistic and look like they are made of bubbles; and helmets are unrealistic and not practical. Armors from Halo 4, and a select few from Halo 5, were mostly realistic and believable to be Halo armors. The rest feel like they should be in some sort of alternate game. But out of all of 343s designs, I would have to say Nightfall was my favorite armor, when combined with the Recon Gen I helmet in Halo 5.

• Like 1