Halo CEA Co-Op Lag

m3usv0x

I don't know why there aren't more posts about this, as there is definitely a problem.

Over several boxes, in several different locations (I went as far as 100 miles from home to test), I noticed there is terrible campaign lag with co-op.

Whoever is host has a perfect play, and the client lags up to .2 to .5 seconds, making precision aiming or jumping impossible.

I grew up pretty far from where I live now, and playing with all my friends from there is a blast...but not this game, not campaign, and I really hope someone finds a fix for this.

I've tried a wired controller, I've tried using original graphics, and I've tried playing with someone in the same town. I'm pretty experienced in IT (it's my job), and I'm pretty sure I've ruled out all the usual suspects.

I'm also running a terrible fever of 102, so forgive me for the Robo-rant.

Its kind of ridiculous if you think about it. They only remade the campaign and just diluted reach multiplayer. Its so laggy on co op that it is almost not even worth playing. A remastered campaign is awesome but why even add co op if it was going to be this laggy. I can't enjoy playing with anyone on xbox live, not even my real life friends in the same town. This needs to be fixed asap, if possible.

Yep, having the same problem and then some! Its definitely the game tho. We've noticed its really bad if there are elites around and let's up a little bit when you kill em. Also another big problem we are having is the game freezing up in a number of differant ways and its been every time we play, very annoying indeed! Please fix this. I'm all for playing levels a bunch of times but having to turn my xbox off to reset the game and losing all the work u put torward getting a certain achievement. EPIC FAIL!

I have explained why this is happening, you just have to check my "Tech help" thread. It has to do with the way Live is handling the negotiation code for Lan over Live from the original CE engine. They did they best they could without completely re-writing the netcode into a usable network model, which by the way would have taken the team a little over 2 years to implement and perfect. So don't go hoping for a quick easy "patch". Said patches wouldn't even be patches, since it would require a re-write or extremely tricky and well precision placed MegaloScript hooks.

Why would they put out the game if they knew that co-op had these issues? its totally unfair to all the players who waited for this.... It's like a slap in the face to us!!! How could they not know about this? To me it sounds like 343 was being greedy in putting out a game knowing it had issues just to line their pockets with the money. This could ruin the Halo experience for lots of people. The first time going solo from Bungie and this is what we get??? You can't tell me that they can't hire top level network techs to fix this.... THEY HAVE THE MONEY.... OUR MONEY (40 MILLION COPIES)!!!!!!!!!!

So what now... we can't play co-op with a friend so now most of us are really unhappy and have started trading our copies in. 343 YOU ARE OFF TO A BAD START. IF I WHERE YOU I WOULD FIX THIS FAST AND KEEP YOUR "MONEY SUPPLIERS" HAPPY AND FIX THIS NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

I have explained why this is happening, you just have to check my "Tech help" thread. It has to do with the way Live is handling the negotiation code for Lan over Live from the original CE engine. They did they best they could without completely re-writing the netcode into a usable network model, which by the way would have taken the team a little over 2 years to implement and perfect. So don't go hoping for a quick easy "patch". Said patches wouldn't even be patches, since it would require a re-write or extremely tricky and well precision placed MegaloScript hooks.

Well in my opinion, if they truly knew this was an issue then why offer it? I personally thought it was my connection issues that were causing this. This feature should have never been offered in the first place. They have set themselves up for criticism for proudly announcing this feature and it being a complete failure. I want 343inds. to be successful and support them, but these are signs that they are not being conscientious of the fans. That's it.

• Like 1

Sorry but that is no excuse. Why would it take 2 years, thats bull****. They should've not released this game otherwise. Due to the lag - i played with a friend of System Link - and you know what.....we finished a level on Legendary and the final cutscene played and got that bull**** "CONNECTION LOST in 14 seconds" --------- OVER SYSTEM LINK FFS!

This game is the worst. Also with that COOP LIVE is broken - spot the **** ups here. Theres 2 of them: http://i222.photobuc...nt/IMG_0731.jpg

Hey Katz, unless your a network programmer and possess some sort of magical programming skill which greatly outweighs mine...please sit down and shut up. There is no need to throw around explatives. Perhaps before calling BS on a certain aspect of an engine component and what is required to fix it, you should first make sure you have a complete understanding about said component before calling it out.

343i has done everything they possibly could to give us a great remastered campaign. The option to working in a proper netwroking model was their choice due to time restraints. We all need to be patient with this lag issue. Remember, they use dev kits, not normal standard 360 consoles, so as such all issues like this may not have been identified. Even if they were, the lag tolerance may have fallen into some sort of "gray" zone, in which Microsoft said that need to ship it as is, and the lag is ok.

We have no idea what thought process went on if this was identified early on. 343i is a division of Microsoft, they do not get to call the final shots. Knowing what i do know about Megaloscript, it should be fairly easy for them to create a patch that further utilizes the Reach engines networking aspects. But like I said, stop the flaming and just be patient. Everyone complaining at once here, does no good to resolve the issue.

• Like 1

Hey Katz, unless your a network programmer and possess some sort of magical programming skill which greatly outweighs mine...please sit down and shut up. There is no need to throw around explatives. Perhaps before calling BS on a certain aspect of an engine component and what is required to fix it, you should first make sure you have a complete understanding about said component before calling it out.

343i has done everything they possibly could to give us a great remastered campaign. The option to working in a proper netwroking model was their choice due to time restraints. We all need to be patient with this lag issue. Remember, they use dev kits, not normal standard 360 consoles, so as such all issues like this may not have been identified. Even if they were, the lag tolerance may have fallen into some sort of "gray" zone, in which Microsoft said that need to ship it as is, and the lag is ok.

We have no idea what thought process went on if this was identified early on. 343i is a division of Microsoft, they do not get to call the final shots. Knowing what i do know about Megaloscript, it should be fairly easy for them to create a patch that further utilizes the Reach engines networking aspects. But like I said, stop the flaming and just be patient. Everyone complaining at once here, does no good to resolve the issue.

I agree.

seriously. just be patient people. U wanted a halo remake and 343 is doing the best they can to bring u that. Unfortunatley they hit some bugs but im pretty sure they will have a fix for them soon. So just relax and be patient. Its only been 2 weeks. Pipe down.

If u seriously get that mad over a game then may i recommend you take a break for awhile.

Okay I deleted my last comment due to negligence, but here it is:

This whole lag thing isn't about the, "two years to re-write" or "we're not patient enough" for this lag to go away, this is a problem that's occurred since September 27, 07. Halo: 3. The problem lay there and the problem followed to Halo: Reach and then Halo: CEA. There's been lag in all three of these games which had Mulitiplayer Co-op Campaign. Now if I'm not mistaken from Sep 07 - Nov 11 that's a whole more than a two years scripting they could have done to fix this. Now, indirectly It's 343 Industries fault for not following this up but more Bungie's for not passing on a simple message like, "Oh, by the way... we never did get around to fixing the Co-op Campaign lag." - Now if I'm in the wrong please do enlighten me on your points but for the patients debate I've been waiting since Halo: 3...

And to finish my debate on this should have been fixed over two years ago:

This is a multi-billion ($) franchise. (Apparently the figure is around $2 billion)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Okay I deleted my last comment due to negligence, but here it is:

This whole lag thing isn't about the, "two years to re-write" or "we're not patient enough" for this lag to go away, this is a problem that's occurred since September 27, 07. Halo: 3. The problem lay there and the problem followed to Halo: Reach and then Halo: CEA. There's been lag in all three of these games which had Mulitiplayer Co-op Campaign. Now if I'm not mistaken from Sep 07 - Nov 11 that's a whole more than a two years scripting they could have done to fix this. Now, indirectly It's 343 Industries fault for not following this up but more Bungie's for not passing on a simple message like, "Oh, by the way... we never did get around to fixing the Co-op Campaign lag." - Now if I'm in the wrong please do enlighten me on your points but for the patients debate I've been waiting since Halo: 3...

And to finish my debate on this should have been fixed over two years ago:

This is a multi-billion ($) franchise. (Apparently the figure is around $2 billion)

Uhhh no. I never have any lag issues with any other halo games, only HCEA. Your alone on that one dude.

You're not alone, a bunch of people have this exact same problem

O' rly? Where have you been?