Why the the REQ system makes Warzone terrible for new players

Caboose The Ace

I've been thinking about this issue a lot and finally after talking about it on the forum I decided to make a topic.

Now don't misunderstand me, the REQ system isn't pay to win in the traditional sense and on paper can seem okay. And when your a veteran player it can seem like a decent system too because you have everything.

When your a veteran player Warzone its fine, you have all the awesome weapons and vehicles but as a new player what do you really have?

Nothing your base weapons and vehicles are nothing compared to anybody else. Meaning you cant do anything really.

So your either forced to keep playing doing terrible on no fault of your own and grinding until you finally start to get decent equipment which could go on forever because RNG is stupid. Or pay money and possibly get nothing.

So basically for new players warzone is almost unplayable and I just wanted to highlight this.

• Like 2

Before I started playing on my boyfriend's account because of budget cuts I played Arena to unlock a few new REQs, once I had enough I would play enough games to earn those Warzone Win REQ packs. Sure it's unbalanced as hell, but that's the nature of RNG.

I still don't have the DMR unlocked on my account, lol..

Simple solution:

1. Play Arena

2. Use those points and unlock REQs

3. Profit

1. Going out of one's comfort zone can sometimes be catastrophic, or just plain annoying if they really hate a certain mode. For me it's SWAT. Screw SWAT.

2. Yes

3. $$$

But yeah, if 343 just gave the Player any old hard-to-get REQ they needed from the get-go it would kinda downplay their importance, and the need for them to buy packs to get them. They have to create a demand with little supply I guess? How else are they supposed to profit from REQs if people don't need them all that much?

How else are they supposed to profit from REQs if people don't need them all that much?

Here's how. They produce content which actually has some quality. Everyone wins: players are more willing to spend actual money because they're guaranteed to get the item they want, Microsoft and Xbox owners are happy because their bandwidth and system memory is less clogged up with trash nobody cares about, and the devs are happy because they can concentrate on actually making high-quality assets which adequately represent their skill rather than just adding crap that nobody likes or wants simply to dilute the REQ pool and extend the grind.

I think that almost every single customisation item in Halo 5 is ugly as sin. I think it looks ridiculous, is of low quality, and exists purely to frustrate people into buying REQ packs. There are a handful of items that I really like - but because they're all rare, I'm never going to get them, since the pool is being diluted with yet more trash faster than I can swim through it. I don't get paid very much, and I refuse to spend what amounts to an hour's pay or more in order to spin a virtual roulette wheel for what's probably less than a half percent chance for me to actually get a customisation item I want. But put all of those items that I want on sale directly, and I'd be happy to purchase them.

• Like 3

The awful REQ grind is the reason I stopped playing Halo 5 because Warzone was my favorite mode but not having any good REQs to compete with just was not fun anymore.

I remember picking up Halo 5 during the late fall and thinking how much fun it would be to play Warzone again. It was an awful experience. I had next to nothing in terms of REQs or my kit to compete with everyone's "Prophet Of Recon's Lock On Fuel Rod/Carbine Hybrid".

I know people say "oh just play arena" but I don't find arena fun or engaging. It bums me out knowing Halo was my favorite franchise but I get more enjoyment out of Battlefront 2015 just because 343i refuses to address the REQ problem because the REQ packs bring in such a huge profit that it will no doubt be returning in the next installment.

Heck even the Blitz mode in Halo Wars 2 reeks of REQ.(Although I don't know enough about it so maybe its different)

I should add that the post launch support for Halo 5 has been the best in series so far and maybe part of that is because of the huge profits REQ packs provide.  

• Like 4

Uh, Super Fiesta exists... Go there if you don't wanna spend money on actual REQ's to own but want to play with them.

Not like it's going to matter or anything, you're going to get your ass kicked because most players will outplay you. So overall, not matter what you play. You're going to get you ass kicked. You might as well not play then, I guess is what you're saying. Or you can play to get good.

I am someone who dislikes the reqs system, so I will try to explain why. Let me say that this is my opinion, I do not see this as fact. Whether or not the req system is good is subjective. I also understand and respect that people will disagree, which is fine because it doesn't make you less or more of a person.                      

Here's why I dislike it.

The reqs system is a microtransactions system that is essentially a random number generator, or you can call it a slot machine. You recieve these reqs by putting in money or playing multiplayer. These reqs are used in Warzone, and the amount money you put in or the amount of time you just play multiplayer will determine your chances of winning. You do not earn your reqs by performing certain tasks in multiplayer, rather you just get reqs by playing. Skill is irrelevent in determining if you get reqs, it is just random.

Warzone games are essentially just games where people only use power weapons and vehicles. It is hard for new players to win regardless of skill due to not having power weapons or vehicles, so it isn't that enjoyable.

I dislike microtransactions and random numbers in all games, I don't like that your options of getting reqs are either using money or playing. I would prefer if you had to complete challenges or tasks that are not arbitrary in multiplayer to get reqs. These challenges could could be get 5 heads in a slayer match, kill 10 infected in infection, score 3 times in grifball, win 3 games of CTF, and so on.

To make Warzone games more balanced and fun you could make it where certain items can't be used until a certain time in the game. a little while no reqs, than allow weapon variants for normal weapons, than weaker vehicles, tha power weapons, than power vehicles. This could make a more balanced game for new and old players, and seems fun.

Those were why I dislike the reqs system, and a small alternative to the way to get them and use

I understand Halo 5 isn't the only game that has a system like this, and I don't like it in any game.

What I am disappointed by is how some of the community act in response to criticism of the reqs system. Many act like if you don't like it you are just bad at the game, or you're not an adult, or your opinion doesn't matter. I feel this is because of 343i because of the animated video defending the reqs. This video communicates that only kids don't like the reqs system, and if you complain. your opinion doesn't matter and you should shut up. Yes the video is meant be funny, but that is what it communicates, so it influences the community.

and yes people are immature on both sides, and it's wrong for both.

anyway this has been my opinion, and if you disagree that is fine.