Halo 4 Mission With Halo 3 Sounds

I think if Halo 4 had the art and sound sytle, with some new elements, I think people would have liked it a lot more, and of course have gameplay more faithful to the trilogy.

They made a lot of design choices that didn't need to be made, like why make the elites seem more brutish than the brutes, why make the grunts look like goblins, and such.

If they added new styles slowly it wouldn't be as received as bad, but they just changed a lot of stuff.

• Like 1

Tbf I don't mind either way and the sounds supringly didnt bother me. I just accepted them as new. But if you guys are looking for something else to watch this video I found is another interesting things to watch after. Halo 4 Cutscenes with Bungie Music. https://youtu.be/X0gax6KEOtE

Edited by Caboose The Ace
  • Like 2

The classic soundtrack is also a much better improvement.

Not sure I agree with you on that one, actually. I like Marty well enough, but particularly by Halo 3 it seemed like he'd just run out of ideas and was just rehashing or outright re-using tracks from the first two games, though while I didn't really like most of the music in Reach I thought his work on ODST was incredible. A leitmotif or a theme is good, but it was starting to just feel repetitive and uninspired by the end. Not to mention that Halo 4 has one of my favourite soundtracks in any game ever: stuff like 117, Arrival, Faithless, or Green and Blue are all amazing tracks, and do a lot to breathe fresh air into a soundtrack that was starting to go stale.

OT: It's definitely weird seeing Halo 4 like this and comparing it to the sounds I'm used to. The Assault Rifle's definitely much worse sounding here (and I'd actually say its normal Halo 4 sounds are better than the version in Halo 5!), but the Storm Rifle actually sounds powerful with the older sounds rather than the joke that it is, and the Battle Rifle's a lot more menacing with the heavier bullets. That said, while I do actually prefer the older Magnum sound I feel like it doesn't really fit a weapon which can be fired as quickly as Halo 4's own pistol as it's just too heavy to feel natural.

• Like 2

Not sure I agree with you on that one, actually. I like Marty well enough, but particularly by Halo 3 it seemed like he'd just run out of ideas and was just rehashing or outright re-using tracks from the first two games, though while I didn't really like most of the music in Reach I thought his work on ODST was incredible. A leitmotif or a theme is good, but it was starting to just feel repetitive and uninspired by the end. Not to mention that Halo 4 has one of my favourite soundtracks in any game ever: stuff like 117, Arrival, Faithless, or Green and Blue are all amazing tracks, and do a lot to breathe fresh air into a soundtrack that was starting to go stale.

I honestly don't mind reusing tracks like that, as long as it's good stuff to begin with, which most of it was. The problem I had with Halo 4's soundtrack is that it just fell into the background and was completely overshadowed by the sounds of combat. Marty was good at giving the soundtrack a commanding presence wherever it was needed, it always stuck out even in the biggest battles, adding to the experience and not getting drowned out. Halo 4 only really managed did that at the Death star run.

Reach and ODST did show he could still go in new directions with the music, Wars showed it was possible to create a good Halo OST almost completely from the ground up, but sadly Halo 4 just didn't hit the mark I think.

• Like 2

When it comes to the video, I really think it possible that the game could've been received better with the old sounds because it'd cater to fans' nostalgia. New sounds would need to be added for new weapons and power ups and the likes but having the old sounds for the campaign didn't seem that weird. I think having that as a skull would've been a nice touch.

Definitely better with the old sounds, well except the grunts talking because that still would've had to have been changed.

It looks a little weird because the sounds aren't 100% either, but I'm sure with proper execution and using the right music for the right times would've catered to the fans being more for it.

Because let's be honest, using a potato launcher for sounds was a bad idea. So bad, that they changed it in Halo 5... But 343 like to make their mark that they own Halo now, and everything HAS to change in hopes they bring people back and more to the franchise... Would've been a nice-cool feel to have had that in Halo 4 though, it's weird to us now but it wouldn't have been at the time.

• Like 1